Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Paid Sick Days?
kendallina 06:01 AM 02-07-2016
Do you have sick/personal days built into your contract? And you still get paid? How many do you allow for? How do parents react to this?

Considering this for next year. It's really difficult to stomach that I lose over $200 every day that I close, especially considering that all of my families have paid sick days at their work, so if they have to stay home with their kids because I close, they still get paid. I haven't closed one day this school year, but next year I will have an infant and I'm sure there will be times that I need to close.

I'm thinking about taking 3 paid sick/personal days per year...
childcaremom 06:46 AM 02-07-2016
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Do you have sick/personal days built into your contract? And you still get paid? How many do you allow for? How do parents react to this?

Considering this for next year. It's really difficult to stomach that I lose over $200 every day that I close, especially considering that all of my families have paid sick days at their work, so if they have to stay home with their kids because I close, they still get paid. I haven't closed one day this school year, but next year I will have an infant and I'm sure there will be times that I need to close.

I'm thinking about taking 3 paid sick/personal days per year...
I am considering this, too. I used to have it, 5 days per year. After that, unpaid.

I didn't when I reopened because it is not the norm here. Neither is paid vacay or 52 weeks a year. Unless you are a centre. Then it is. I charge a lot more than the average bear to 'make up' for it when/if I do close. But it would be nice to not have to worry about.

I think, like any policy, it's how you sell it. I would tell them how it benefits their child: parents of sick kids will think twice about sending their child to care.... if they get provider sick, then provider has to close AND they still have to pay (thank you playcare's other post ) and that it also means that if you are sick, then you aren't exposing their child to potential illness.
midaycare 08:27 AM 02-07-2016
No, I just take the hit. All monies earned that day go to my sub.
Ariana 09:24 AM 02-07-2016
I give myself 5 sick days and then 5 personal days. No one has said anything about it. I rarely take them unless I am vomiting or have a fever. Anything over and above this is no charge. I do not charge for my vacation time though so this might lessen the blow for some parents. I do feel we are entitled to the same benefits as we would working outside the home.
jenboo 09:58 AM 02-07-2016
I factor it into rates. Parents love when they don't have to pay for days you are closed. I just charge about $5 more a week than I would have. That extra money goes into an account for my sick days and vacations.
Works great!
Play Care 10:08 AM 02-07-2016
I have 5 paid sick/personal days each year. No one has really batted an eye.

When I first started out I did not charge for sick time and I noticed a lot more of my clients sending in kids who were not 100%. And why not? They could send them in, get at least a half a day in at work (but probably a full day) and then when I or my kids got sick and I had to close, they'd not have to pay me AND get a paid day off with their now healthy kid.
I don't know about you, but days off with healthy kids are much more pleasant than days off with sick kiddos

I've noticed that since I'm getting paid regardless, parents seem much more cautious about sending in "iffy" kids.

On a side note, I find parents here anyway take a paid day off here and there in stride but balk at paid vacations.
Unregistered 08:47 AM 02-08-2016
I don't lmit myself on sick days. I've only called in sick 2X in over 12 years though...

My contract discusses symptom exclusions and says payment will not change if the child or provider is ill.
kendallina 10:18 AM 02-08-2016
Thanks everyone! I think I've decided to include 3 paid sick days for next year. I am raising my rates for next year already (to be more in line with another provider in town), so I don't want to raise it more to cover sick days, kwim? I have a great reputation in town and think it's time to start looking at my family's needs and not just my clients. I really appreciate everyone's feedback.
Annalee 10:23 AM 02-08-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I don't lmit myself on sick days. I've only called in sick 2X in over 12 years though...

My contract discusses symptom exclusions and says payment will not change if the child or provider is ill.
I do not limit my personal/sick days either. My contract states 52 weeks pay a year....so I get paid regardless...... I haven't used many sick days for myself in 20+ years but I have used some days with immediate family being sick....
AmyKidsCo 07:27 PM 02-08-2016
I charge any time I'm open, whether a child is in attendance or not. So I don't lose any income if a child is out sick.

When I'm sick I give parents a voucher for that day and it's up to them to remember to use it. Some do, others say I deserve a paid sick day and don't use it.

I don't close when my own children are sick. When they were younger they were never sick enough that I had to close, and now the youngest is 9 so he can take care of himself, even when he's puking.
BabyMonkeys 08:29 AM 02-09-2016
I take 10 paid vacation/sick days per year. If I had to take more than that, they would be unpaid.
daycarediva 09:16 AM 02-09-2016
I have 10 planned paid days off and 5 unplanned paid days off. Last year I only used 2 unplanned. Because of that I changed my contract and took 14 total planned days off, paid. All of my unplanned days are now unpaid.
TwinKristi 04:12 PM 02-09-2016
I have 2 paid sick days per calendar year. I've never taken more than that unpaid in the past and figure that's fair.
TwinMama 07:13 AM 02-11-2016
I have 5 paid vacation days. Other than that if I close I don't get paid.
originalkat 04:24 PM 02-12-2016
I have 5 Paid personal/sick days per year.I rarely use them, but I am glad I have them! No one ever says anything about it.
Tags:sick days
Reply Up