Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Back-up Care
momofboys 08:27 PM 07-17-2010
Does anyone provide their parents with a list of back-up providers? I have always said it is the parents' job to have a back-up ready in case child is ill or in case I must close with no notice (very rare!). I just took on a new family (baby has yet to be born) & am excited about the oportunity to care for a little one. Mom is very concerned about back-up care as her husband is military & going to be deployed in a few months & her family does not live close (2 hrs away). I told her I would attempt to come up with a list of providers in our area who may provide a drop-in service to help her out. So has anyone done this? I obviously can't guarantee that she could find someone based on my list but my plan is to call some providers & ask if they'd be willing to be a back-up on my list & let them know I'd gladly reciprocate. Good idea? Bad idea? I do know a few providers in the area but the ones I know personally don't want to pressure of providing care on short notice. Any advice?
Daycare Mommy 04:04 AM 07-18-2010
I wouldn't promise to find her backup providers. The most I would do is give her websites for babysitting like www.care.com and www.sittercity.com and she can take it from there. I would avoid giving any names and numbers, because if things go badly there it would (in her mind) reflect badly on you.
Pammie 05:36 AM 07-18-2010
I don't do back-up care and neither do providers that I know, trust and refer to - it upsets the stability and sense of security of my permanent group to have random kids here for a single day, and then we never see them again. I think that kids need the stability of knowing who is going to be at daycare with them daily. Plus it's not fair to my permanent group for me to have to provide extra time and attention to a drop-in child to help them adjust being somewhere new, when they're not going to be a permanent part of our group.

That's how I explain my no-backup policy to my clients. I also explain to them in our initial interview that I've only closed for #6 emergency/sick days in 23 years of care,and suggest that if they don't have relatives or friends that can provide back-up care in case I do need to close, then they should consider saving their work personal days to use in that event. I tell them that it's one of the draw-backs of placing their child in a home daycare - that most of us don't have back-ups available...but they are assured that when their child is in care, the provider (me) doesn't change.

This really is the mom's issue, not yours. Like the previous poster, suggest she contact county licensing, on-line referral sites, even craigslist to find providers willing to work as back-up for her - and suggest that she interview them before needing care. But don't make providing a back-up your responsibility - Just my opinion.
momofboys 09:39 AM 07-18-2010
Thanks for your advice! I do agree, it is her issue. I was just trying to be helpful but the more I think about it I don't want to be responsible if she uses someone on my "list" & is unhappy! I may make some calls but will let her know that I can't guarantee that any of the providers will be able to help her. I think I will refer her also to our local Childcare Network & she found me on Care.com so I'd think she could post something on there about back-up care needed. I really doubt she'll need backup care much (last year I only closed 3-4 days & 3 of those days were because my dad died) but things do happen. I plan to take a few days off for my boys' spring break, which is not until March 2011. I'd think she could make advance arrangements for that since it is only July right now! The mom is a teacher & I hope to be more firm with my policies w/her than I was with my last teacher mom. Help me have a large backbone!!!
MarinaVanessa 11:31 AM 07-18-2010
If you want to make calls then go for it but I wouldn't even do that. My sister is my assistant a few hours a week (just to help out) and when I go on vacations or need to schedule an appointment I have her watch the kiddos. If she's unavailable then I remind them that I am not under any obligation to find alternative care for them but I do give them the phone number to our local child refferal agency where thay can have a list mailed or faxed to them with providers numbers. I do have a few close friends that I recommend sometimes when but only under special circumstances. One offers care for special needs children and the other offers transportation and does school-age childcare. Other than that it's up to them.
momma2girls 04:38 PM 07-18-2010
SInce I moved, I formed a pretty large daycare group, with all excellent daycare providers, that we do back up for each other all the time. It's great to know there are back up daycares, when you need to take off for vac. sickness, etc. and the same all the way around! I just provide them their names if needed.
momofboys 05:40 PM 07-18-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
SInce I moved, I formed a pretty large daycare group, with all excellent daycare providers, that we do back up for each other all the time. It's great to know there are back up daycares, when you need to take off for vac. sickness, etc. and the same all the way around! I just provide them their names if needed.

How did you go about forming this? Did you cold call some providers & ask them about being back-ups? I guess my issue would be the unexpected call to provide care for someone else that you barely know but at the same time it would be good to have a few back-ups.
momma2girls 06:36 PM 07-18-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
How did you go about forming this? Did you cold call some providers & ask them about being back-ups? I guess my issue would be the unexpected call to provide care for someone else that you barely know but at the same time it would be good to have a few back-ups.
When I moved here 4 yrs. ago, I had a friend that I used to work with that does daycare as well, and I have met all other 10 other providers in my area, that I am good friends with and have known almost all of them for about 4 yrs. now- We go out for supper every month or so, and talk about everything- horror stories, contracts, etc. etc....... it is alot of fun- we share our rates, who is going up, etc. what to place in contracts, words, etc..... It is also a great referrel system for all of us!!!
originalkat 08:21 AM 07-19-2010
No, I do not provide the parents with a list of back-up providers. This is what I have in my parent handbook...

Back up Care

Parents are responsible for finding backup care for illness, holidays, and any other time the school is closed. I will provide you with as much advance notice as possible when backup care is needed. It is always a good idea to have alternate childcare arrangements when placing your child into any child care program. This ensures you have care available should your regular provider become unavailable.
Tags:back up care
Reply Up