Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Shutting Down
professionalmom 09:32 AM 07-19-2010
If you were following "Rock Bottom" from a while back, you know that we have been struggling to get clients and having financial problems. The 2 brothers I took on 2 weeks ago, their mom is unsure if she will be staying because she may not be able to handle to copay. It's only $40 a week, for the 2 kids, but I am already giving them discounts and need every penny of it. I can't give them any more breaks. Well, my husband and I have talked extensively about it. And since I have been advertising like crazy and not getting calls or getting calls to set up appointments then they no-call, no show. It's been horrible. We have decided to give up our home and move in with family. Once we made the decision on Saturday, the stress started to lift. Plus with me pregnant with twins, it just seemed like the best decision for us at this time. Then all day yesterday, I was having extreme abdominal pain and ended up in the hospital. I am only 20 weeks pregnant and was having contractions every 2-3 minutes. They gave me a shot to stop them and it worked. But they came back. I'm not dilating so they put me on a medication to take every 6 hours to keep stopping the contractions. I was dehydrated or had any infections (bladder, yeast, etc.), so they do not know why I was contracting so much. Plus, they do not think the abdominal pain is related to the contractions since I was still in severe pain and almost unable to move even when the contractions stopped. They gave me a muscle relaxer and Tylenol and nothing worked on the pain at all. My husband called off work today so he can take care of our DD since I am completely unable to right now. So, I am even more secure in my decision to shut down. I have to take care of my unborn babies. Oh, and based on the u/s, they look like they are girls. They are doing fine. But I have to keep them in a while longer and that means eliminating stress. And one of my biggest stressors is clients who argue about payment, which has been a problem with approx 80% of my clients. So, we are going to have to hire movers to do the packing and moving because I can't do anything right now. I go back to my OB in a couple hrs for a recheck and am hoping they can do something about this pain. I can't even let anyone touch my belly at all - it causes searing pain. So please pray for my babies and that I can keep them in until they are viable, hopefully to full term (16 more weeks for twins).

I thank all of you for all the support you have given me. This is like a community of friends and all of you have given me the strength to be a better provider. And no matter what anyone else tells any of you, YOU are all SUPERWOMEN!! You are raising the next generation. You ARE important, and don't let anyone tell you that you are just a babysitter or treat you like you are a second class citizen. Without you, your clients wouldn't be able to work. Without you, these children would merely be warehoused in overcrowded centers (I'm not knocking centers, just saying they would be cramped). God Bless each and every one of you.
kitkat 09:42 AM 07-19-2010
I'm so glad you were able to make a decision and you feel comfortable with the one you made. You were in such a tough position and I'm sure the choice was very difficult to make. You are absolutely correct, you need to take care of your family first and relieving stress right now is the best thing to do. I hope you guys have a smooth move.

Even though you are shutting down, don't be a stranger to the board! You'll at least have to update us on when you have the babies I got so teary as I was reading the last bit of your post (I'm trying to be a big girl and not cry)! Your words were so kind and touching and just made me feel better about what I do! You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
swaddlebees 09:45 AM 07-19-2010
I just wanted to say good luck! I had twins in march and was in the hospital from 23 weeks to 28 weeks on bedrest for shortening cervix. I finally had them at 32 weeks and they were 19 inches long at 6lbs each! They were in the NICU one week. Don't stress, it only makes things worse. I had a pain similar to yours, it was a muscle that was being trampled on so they gave me a belt to wear and it helped a ton, once one of them moved I was fine HUGS
Daycare Mommy 09:56 AM 07-19-2010
I will pray for you and your family! I know you're going to be incredibly busy, but do keep us updated if you find the time. You were an incredible asset to this board and I wish you all the best in the future.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 10:08 AM 07-19-2010
I think you are doing the right thing here...I'm sure it's hard to give up your house but this move will help you focus on what matters..you and those twins and your family. This business is VERY stressful and right now you need to concentrate on yourself. I pray all will be ok with the preganancy, I know you will find yourself a lot less stressed shutting down daycare, at least until a while after the twins are born.
judytrickett 10:19 AM 07-19-2010
Best of luck to you, professionalmom. I always enjoyed your candor and point of view on children and daycare.

Hey, you gotta take care of YOU and YOUR family first. Everything happens for a reason.

I hope all goes well for you. Pop in and say HI once in a while!
Unregistered 10:20 AM 07-19-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
If you were following "Rock Bottom" from a while back, you know that we have been struggling to get clients and having financial problems. The 2 brothers I took on 2 weeks ago, their mom is unsure if she will be staying because she may not be able to handle to copay. It's only $40 a week, for the 2 kids, but I am already giving them discounts and need every penny of it. I can't give them any more breaks. Well, my husband and I have talked extensively about it. And since I have been advertising like crazy and not getting calls or getting calls to set up appointments then they no-call, no show. It's been horrible. We have decided to give up our home and move in with family. Once we made the decision on Saturday, the stress started to lift. Plus with me pregnant with twins, it just seemed like the best decision for us at this time. Then all day yesterday, I was having extreme abdominal pain and ended up in the hospital. I am only 20 weeks pregnant and was having contractions every 2-3 minutes. They gave me a shot to stop them and it worked. But they came back. I'm not dilating so they put me on a medication to take every 6 hours to keep stopping the contractions. I was dehydrated or had any infections (bladder, yeast, etc.), so they do not know why I was contracting so much. Plus, they do not think the abdominal pain is related to the contractions since I was still in severe pain and almost unable to move even when the contractions stopped. They gave me a muscle relaxer and Tylenol and nothing worked on the pain at all. My husband called off work today so he can take care of our DD since I am completely unable to right now. So, I am even more secure in my decision to shut down. I have to take care of my unborn babies. Oh, and based on the u/s, they look like they are girls. They are doing fine. But I have to keep them in a while longer and that means eliminating stress. And one of my biggest stressors is clients who argue about payment, which has been a problem with approx 80% of my clients. So, we are going to have to hire movers to do the packing and moving because I can't do anything right now. I go back to my OB in a couple hrs for a recheck and am hoping they can do something about this pain. I can't even let anyone touch my belly at all - it causes searing pain. So please pray for my babies and that I can keep them in until they are viable, hopefully to full term (16 more weeks for twins).

I thank all of you for all the support you have given me. This is like a community of friends and all of you have given me the strength to be a better provider. And no matter what anyone else tells any of you, YOU are all SUPERWOMEN!! You are raising the next generation. You ARE important, and don't let anyone tell you that you are just a babysitter or treat you like you are a second class citizen. Without you, your clients wouldn't be able to work. Without you, these children would merely be warehoused in overcrowded centers (I'm not knocking centers, just saying they would be cramped). God Bless each and every one of you.
Thats right YOUR family comes first. Good luck sweetie and even thou I never registered I followed your questions good luck and keep all of us updated about your babies.
momma2girls 10:41 AM 07-19-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:

I wish you all the luck in the world!! I hope you get thru the entire pregnancy, if not close to your due date!!
I don't blame you at all!! I had one baby who had seperation anxiety terrbily when I was preganant, I developed toxemia and my BP was going sky high. I told my DR. I know why it is alot higher now, and in a week, I will not have her any longer- due to the all day screaming!!! WOW!!!! I let her go after 3 weeks, and it went way down.
GOod luck and please stay in touch with us all!!! Let us all know how it is going, and after you have your girls!!!
Take Care!!!
momofsix 10:45 AM 07-19-2010
I'm so glad that you were able to make the tough choices that will benefit you and your family--good for you. i pray that your pain will be relieved, and that you'll have a good 16 weeks left of being pregnant! Your post brought tears to my eyes also.
Blessings & hugs
Keep us posted!
MarinaVanessa 10:52 AM 07-19-2010
Good luck with the babies. You are making a wise decision in thinking of yourself, your babies and your family first. You can always come back to doing childcare (or not lol) if you ever find the longing. And yes please! Do NOT be a stranger on the boards. Let us know how your girls progress and how your family does.
misol 11:01 AM 07-19-2010
Professionalmom best of luck to you. I hope that the rest of your pregnancy is smooth sailing and your family will be in my prayers. Please keep us updated. God Bless.
Lilbutterflie 11:24 AM 07-19-2010
I am praying for you, Professionalmom! I was in a similar situation with both of my pregnancies... bed rest and meds to stop labor for 11 weeks with my daughter; and bed rest for 6 weeks with my son. They told me I had an irritable uterus! I carried both full term.
My heart goes out to you and your family, please keep us updated. I hope your OB visit today goes well and that they can figure out what is giving you such pain!
originalkat 12:53 PM 07-19-2010
Professionalmom-- I know that feeling of relief when some of the financial stress starts to lift! We have been there too and had to live with family for awhile to get back on our feet. It was the best decision for us. Plus being with family when the twins arrive safely in 16 weeks is sure to help...having a few extra hands around the house. Blessings to you and your family and the journey before you!
bgmeyers 01:09 PM 07-19-2010
Good for you for taking care of your babies and family! I hope the move goes smoothly and that less stress will help you have an easier time of it with your twins.
professionalmom 01:29 PM 07-19-2010
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I am praying for you, Professionalmom! I was in a similar situation with both of my pregnancies... bed rest and meds to stop labor for 11 weeks with my daughter; and bed rest for 6 weeks with my son. They told me I had an irritable uterus! I carried both full term.
My heart goes out to you and your family, please keep us updated. I hope your OB visit today goes well and that they can figure out what is giving you such pain!
OMG!!! Irritable uterus is exactly the term they used at the hospital last night. I am doing online research about it now. What little bit I have read seems to point to it being an indicator of preterm labor. So I am a little scared. But hearing that you carried to full term twice with UI, I feel a little relived. But I think once we get moved and I get through a court date I have coming up, I am going to drive to IL to stay with my mom for awhile. That way I can have around the clock care. Even though my mom works 3 days a week, my dad and brother live there also and can help out with DD. Plus, I have a ton of family (aunts, cousins, etc.) that can help out. I will hate to be away from my husband, but I think we need to make the twins our top priority until they are to a safe gestational age. My MIL will be coming in a couple days to take DD to their lake house in WI for a couple weeks. I am terrified about that because DD has only been away from me for approximately 1-3 hours at a time, except for 8 hours of CPR/First Aid training and a 40 hours stay with my MIL while I took care of my mom after her surgery. So this will be very hard for both of us. But with movers coming in a couple weeks, my doctor's appointments, and self-imposed bed rest, it's best for her that she is with someone who can attend to her and give her the attention she needs.

I feel like I am having to choose between my children and it's killing me. But, I know all will be fine eventually. DD is too young to remember this separation and the twins are far too little and need me more, since I'm the only one who can feed them and protect them. Sometimes being the mommy sucks!! As much as I love it, it is the most heart-wrenching job in the world. The worry, the tears, the fears, etc. It's a wonder WE make it to see them all grown up!

I thank all of you for your support and prayers. I am the type of person who is always on the go, the superwoman, trying to take on the impossible schedules and burdens. This will be the first time in my adult life that I will truly be unemployed (except when I went to law school, but that WAS my job). I feel like I'm useless at this point and THAT just drives me nuts! But like my husband said, I'm not just useless, I'm doing what needs to be done for all our children and even though I will "just be a mom" for a while after the twins are born, that will be more than enough for one person (2 infants and a 2 yr old). So, I am trying to come to terms with not being superwoman for awhile. As I posted on facebook, "Superwoman has left the building". But I know that there are MANY superwomen out there and everyone on this website fits that title to a T. I love my daycare sisters!

Oh, and today the OB gave me Tylenol with Codeine. Probably not the best thing to take when pregnant, but it's either this or not be able to move. She also said that the babies could be pushing on old scar tissue from my gastric bypass from 2001! Or it could be bowel problems. No way to know for sure, but at least I have POSSIBLE answers.
momofboys 05:07 AM 07-20-2010
I wish you the best! I have enjoyed your posts & will keep you in my thoughts that you will have a healthy pregnancy. Please pop on from time to time & keep us posted. That is great that you have a MIL who is willing to help & take your DD so you can do the bedrest that you need. You are truly blessed that you have family that is helping you. Praying for you!
JJPlaycare 05:41 AM 07-20-2010
Just wanted to say good luck to you and your growing family! I think that you have made a good decision and it will pay off in the end! Your family should always come first and I am happy that you have decided to do what you can for yourself and for your family! Keep us posted on those twins of yours. I am due Dec 19, only with one baby though, but I would still love to hear how the rest of your pregnancy goes and would love to hear the news of the babies arrival! Good luck to you and God Bless! Everything happens for a reason, take care! : D
Lilbutterflie 05:59 AM 07-20-2010
Wow! I have never been able to talk to anyone who also had an "irritable uterus". (o: The best advice I can give is to really take your bed rest seriously... b/c the more up and down you are throughout the day, the more contractions you will have. You have the right mindset about not being superwoman anymore!! But your husband is absolutely right, you have the most important job right now, keeping those babies healthy!
I have a feeling that bed rest is going to get real old real quick for you! Definitely get yourself some things that can occupy you while you're laying in bed or on the couch. I learned how to crochet & knit when I was on bedrest for 11 weeks with my daughter! It kept me busy and occupied so that my mind could clear itself every once in a while.
I will keep you in my prayers, and please keep us posted!
professionalmom 10:03 AM 07-20-2010
I thank all of you for your support. I have another question. My DD has always been with me. By her first birthday, she had only been out of my direct care for approximately 50 hours TOTAL! And most of that was when she was sleeping. The longest she has been away from me is only 3-4 hours a handful of times, except one 8 hour day for me to attend training and one 40 hour trip to grandma J's, while I took care of grandma N after grandma N had major surgery. So, here's the dilemma: my MIL (grandma J) has offered to take DD 12 hours away to their lake house in WI while DH and I are dealing with packing and supervising movers, attending a court date against a former client, and attending OB appointments. The problem is that she would be away form me for 2-3 weeks. My MIL and I are concerned about the emotional trauma that could cause. Like, would she think that mommy and daddy abandoned her? I could drive to IL (my mom's) after 7-10 days of DD being away, stay the night at my mom's to rest, then drive the 8 hours to WI to pick DD up. Then I could stay a day or two in WI with everyone up there, then head back to mom's (IL - 8 hrs drive). Then DD & I could stay another 2 weeks with my mom and dad and visit my brothers, sisters-in-law, nieces, nephew, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. I would be able to relax while everyone tends to DD. But my MIL, mom, and DH are all concerned about me driving that much.

FYI - my pain has finally subsided. I took Tylenol with codeine yesterday around 5pm and have not needed to take any more. Pain dropped from 10 to 4, so I'm doing great and feel fine, as long as I keep taking the meds to stop contractions.

So, what do you ladies think? Should I let my MIL take DD for a while. If DD stays with us, I'm concerned about taking care of her while everything else is going on. I feel like she's not getting the attention she needs, because I am lying on the couch most of the time, trying to rest for the babies. I can't lift her and we are constantly telling her to be gentle with my belly (she's used to climbing all over me). Would I be pushing it to drive to get her after 10 days, so she's not away from me twice as long? Am I being an neurotic mom? How do I choose between what's best for my daughter and what's best for my unborn babies? Don't they all need me? My DD will be 2 in 10 days. So if she goes with my MIL, we will technically miss her birthday, even though we would just celebrate before she leaves. I feel like an absolutely terrible mother for letting her go away for that long, even though she would be with her adoring grandma, grandpa, aunt, uncle, and 2 doggies (which she LOVES) and get to go on a boat, swimming, etc. They all think DD hung the stars and the moon, so I know she would get tons of attention (maybe spoiled), but it's not mom and dad. Please help me to figure out what would be the best solution, or at least what would be the lesser or the two evils.
JJPlaycare 11:27 AM 07-20-2010
I say send her with them! You need to rest for your two growing babies! Your daughter will probably enjoy all of the attention and I think it would also be good for her to have some time away from you!! I have a hard time leaving my girls too, rarely if ever, but they always have fun when they leave and rarely want to return to me! LOL She will be well taken care of and will really enjoy all of the attention you cannot give her at the moment! I think it would be good to try it now, because you are probably going to need help and need someone to take her once and awhile once you have twins - so why not try it now and get her use to being away from you so that the transition of adding two babies and staying away from mom for awhile isn't so traumatic! Once step at a time! 2 - 3 weeks is a very long time, call her, send her things!! If all else fails try it and if it isn't working then go get her!! Just play it by ear and see how it all plays out, maybe they would be willing to do some driving to meet you at your Moms so you don't have SOOO far to go if it really isn't working! Sounds like you have a great family and I am sure they would do this for you and your daughter!! I say go for it and give the babies the rest and time they need and let your daughter go on an adventure with out you and let her recieve some spoiling and an over abundance of attention - because in just a few months life is going to change BIG time, so let her enjoy some alone time with others as much as possible!! : ) Get some rest!!
boysx5 11:48 AM 07-20-2010
I think sending her with the family is a good thing for you and her you need the rest and with her home you might not rest the way you should be resting. Good luck and I will keep you in my prayers
Tags:close
Reply Up