Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Okay Another Question
Thriftylady 09:44 AM 06-09-2016
Seems all I do is ask questions some days.

This one is about beads. When your kids do stuff with beads do you allow them to take them all home? I ask because they are somewhat expensive, and my girls will sit and make all kinds of "jewelry" and want to take it all home. They can kill a big supply of beads in one or two sittings. Would it be wrong of me to say they can wear the stuff for the day, but then it needs taken apart and the beads go back to the supply?
Josiegirl 09:46 AM 06-09-2016
Nothing wrong with that IMO. Maybe you could let them make 1 special piece at the end of the week or something, to keep?
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:17 AM 06-09-2016
I use to buy the big bags of misc. beads from the craft stores. Pony beads are also relatively inexpensive. I cut up straws to be "beads".
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mixed-Plas...5-lbs/25388937
There is a one pound bag for $7something.
Hunni Bee 10:33 AM 06-09-2016
Nope. I have a bead bucket. Nothing goes home. You can put in chenille stems or shoestrings and tie a large bead one end. And just say it's like Legos where you make something but you have to take it apart when its time to clean up. It sounds like they have made themselves plenty of bed jewelry already
Ariana 10:37 AM 06-09-2016
I take pictures of their creations for display and then they take them apart. That way they can be proud of their work and can recreate the necklace the next day if they wanted to. It is very much like Lego. They make stuff, I take a pic but it has to go back for others to create.
Thriftylady 10:48 AM 06-09-2016
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I use to buy the big bags of misc. beads from the craft stores. Pony beads are also relatively inexpensive. I cut up straws to be "beads".
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mixed-Plas...5-lbs/25388937
There is a one pound bag for $7something.
I can get the one pound bags on sale for $2 at Pat Catan's often, and daycares, teachers, etc can get a 10% off card for there! But with five kids, they can go through a pound of beads fast. I told them that they can make stuff this afternoon, wear it today and again tomorrow if they want, but we will take it apart before go home tomorrow. Maybe if they complain to much parents will donate beads lol.
e.j. 11:52 AM 06-09-2016
I have a few sets of large, wooden beads that have to stay here. The kids can bring home anything they make with pony beads or other relatively inexpensive beads.
AmyKidsCo 12:56 PM 06-09-2016
The large wooden beads on the manipulative shelf stay here. I consider them toys so they're mine.

Things made with pony beads can go home. I consider them art supplies just like glue, paper, paint, etc.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 06:51 PM 06-09-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
The large wooden beads on the manipulative shelf stay here. I consider them toys so they're mine.

Things made with pony beads can go home. I consider them art supplies just like glue, paper, paint, etc.
That is the way I am too.
Blackcat31 06:43 AM 06-10-2016

Same here. If I have a group of kids really into beading...I just get out the pasta and start dying it and then let them go to town with pasta necklaces etc...they love it!
Thriftylady 07:02 AM 06-10-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Same here. If I have a group of kids really into beading...I just get out the pasta and start dying it and then let them go to town with pasta necklaces etc...they love it!
I hadn't thought of that! Looks like I will be buying more pasta this weekend!
Kimskiddos 07:54 AM 06-10-2016

This is how it works here too. I have a couple of clients that are teacher's and another that loves to craft. It seems like they donate beads all the time, so running out has never been an issue. Of course my group is very small and usually will only have 1 or 2 that are old enough for pony beads.
Unregistered 10:53 AM 06-10-2016
They could go home. Possibly if they used tons of them I'd have them start to take them apart and leave here or the pony beads would go away for awile.

With school age kids they make tons of those bead designs that have to be ironed and they also make god's eyes with variegated yarn and tongue depressors.

They love those!
Tags:arts and crafts, beads
Reply Up