Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Masks
tenderhearts 08:54 PM 07-01-2020
I reopened my daycare mid June under the required emergency license I needed. With all the states seeing an increase in.covid cases im wondering if they will require daycares staff and children to wear masks. Im wondering if any of you are or having your daycare kids wear them 2 and up?
dolores 01:42 AM 07-02-2020
In my state kids are not required to wear masks while indoors or in private backyard. If we leave premises (which we won't do until this is over) they have to wear masks. Providers have to wear masks all day
Cat Herder 04:48 AM 07-02-2020
Here, the centers are supposed to if they have more than 50 people and are over age 3 "if tolerated".

Home daycare does not need to as we only have 6 kids, total.

I do wear them if I leave the house, although that has only happened once since March.
Annalee 05:29 AM 07-02-2020
Our three big cities have mandated masks guidelines when in public. The governor is making a decision in a few days if this mandate will be statewide. I'm anxious to see how this plays out.
Unregistered 07:32 AM 07-02-2020
It varies where you go. My state has recommendations but my new, small, in-home really cannot operate that way. I think masks are important but little kids don't really get the mask thing. Hell, many adults don't. And I cannot socially distant in my home (space, # and ages of kids) and they are getting germs everywhere anyway.
tenderhearts 08:03 AM 07-02-2020
It isn't required in daycare's here as of now, not even for providers. There is a state wide mandate of masks in public places, it seems though not every where such as a few big stores like Lowes and Home Depot are not enforcing it.
I'm just curious if kids will be required in daycare big or small
because apparently there has been an increase in cases in children ages 0-9. There was a daycare center here in my county that had an outbreak in June I believe 28 were infected. I believe it started with staff and their household. I feel if kids wear them they will be constantly playing with them and touching their face more so than when not wearing them.
e.j. 09:43 AM 07-02-2020
Providers here are required to wear masks during the day care day, inside and outside, when we can't keep a 6' distance from the kids. Kids 2 and older are encouraged, but not required, to wear masks when they can't remain distanced from each other.
springv 10:39 AM 07-02-2020
Mother of autistic son pleads for no mask ordinance
https://www.waff.com/2020/07/02/moth...ask-ordinance/
Tin Blues 11:26 AM 07-02-2020
Why can’t the mom of the autistic child have groceries delivered? Or have a friend or neighbor pick up items as needed?
springv 11:36 AM 07-02-2020
Originally Posted by Tin Blues:
Why can’t the mom of the autistic child have groceries delivered? Or have a friend or neighbor pick up items as needed?
She may not can afford to have her groceries delivered and with her son be autistic, there is some stuff that he may not eat because of sensitivities or texture and she also may not have neighbors that live close or family that she's in contact with
sahm1225 06:15 PM 07-03-2020
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
She may not can afford to have her groceries delivered and with her son be autistic, there is some stuff that he may not eat because of sensitivities or texture and she also may not have neighbors that live close or family that she's in contact with
She has options. Amazon now offers grocery delivery service. Walmart and a lot of stores offer pick up service For groceries where you pull up and they bring the groceries to you. Some major grocery stores even offered early hours for seniors and the immune compromised. I feel For this woman because I can only imagine how Hard it must be for her, but masks might end up being the new Norm. She might need to reach out to services to get assistance to help her son understand that masks aren’t scary (there’s lots of social
Stories online).

During these times, masks are more common, but I’d be curious to how she handleD his anxiety At hospital visits?
CeriBear 07:01 AM 07-04-2020
We may have to start wearing them. I don’t think the kids will be required to ( except those 6 and up which doesn’t apply to us) but staff likely will.

I don’t like to wear them. I’m allergic to a lot of fabrics and my nose runs and my face itches while wearing it. I do bear it while going into a store to get groceries but it’s going to be hard to wear one 8+ hours a day.

Are the disposable paper ones less irritating? Anyone else seem to have allergic reactions to cloth ones?
Ariana 07:50 AM 07-04-2020
I am in Canada and my City just announced mandatory masks for anyone over 2 when inside. Of course people are exempt who have issues where they cannot wear a mask like autism.

My advice to people who don’t like their mask is to try a different style and fabric. This is not going away anytime soon and a mask will go a long way to help the spread. Some people really like the disposable paper masks that Costco has as they are thin and more breathable. I wear an N95 and am fine as I am not usually inside anywhere for long periods of time.
e.j. 10:29 AM 07-04-2020
Originally Posted by CeriBear:
We may have to start wearing them. I don’t think the kids will be required to ( except those 6 and up which doesn’t apply to us) but staff likely will.

I don’t like to wear them. I’m allergic to a lot of fabrics and my nose runs and my face itches while wearing it. I do bear it while going into a store to get groceries but it’s going to be hard to wear one 8+ hours a day.

Are the disposable paper ones less irritating? Anyone else seem to have allergic reactions to cloth ones?
I wear disposable masks when I go out to shop and they don't bother me at all.

If you're allergic to a lot of fabrics, could you make some cloth ones for yourself out of fabrics that you're not allergic to? There are a lot of good instructions online for making masks. I don't sew so I looked for no-sew versions and found a couple that work great for me. I use a coffee filter and bandanas to make reusable masks and they work fine. There are also a lot of people who are selling fabric masks on Etsy, some who custom make them. I bet you could find someone there who would be willing to make masks for you using whatever fabric you can tolerate.
flying_babyb 10:47 AM 07-05-2020

Im alergic to MANY many fabrics. So far ive had luck with flannel insides. there a bit hot (ok a lot hot) but it works
Jo123ABC 10:08 PM 07-08-2020
I don't want to wear a mask and don't want to be forced to. Especially in my home I don't want to force my kids either. I seriously might end up homeschooling this year because of it and I'd really rather my kid socialize and learn in a school setting
Ariana 07:23 AM 07-09-2020
Originally Posted by Jo123ABC:
I don't want to wear a mask and don't want to be forced to. Especially in my home I don't want to force my kids either. I seriously might end up homeschooling this year because of it and I'd really rather my kid socialize and learn in a school setting
I feel like home providers will be exempt, they are here in my City. Who can enforce someone wearing a mask in their own house?!
tenderhearts 08:33 AM 07-09-2020
I agree and I feel if kids are required to wear masks in a daycare setting especially among younger kids they will touch and play with it more and touch face more than when not wearing it and other kids will be attracted to other kids masks so I think it would be worse if they wore them in daycares with small kids.
Jodik 09:48 AM 07-09-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I feel like home providers will be exempt, they are here in my City. Who can enforce someone wearing a mask in their own house?!
Unfortunately, here in NY, we are not exempt and forced to wear them.
Jo123ABC 01:12 PM 07-09-2020
Originally Posted by Jodik:
This is craziness!
Cat Herder 01:27 PM 07-09-2020
Originally Posted by Jo123ABC:
This is craziness!
Cuomo. What can you do?
Former Teacher 02:01 PM 07-09-2020
That will be the day when the government will tell me what I can and cannot do in my own home. Virus or no virus....that's just pure BS
Sunshine69 11:45 AM 07-23-2020
Originally Posted by Jodik:
Yup. Makes no sense at all.

Daycare kids and parents don’t have to, just the providers and people that live in the homes of the in-home providers.
Pandaluver21 12:13 PM 07-23-2020

I am SUPER allergic to the disposable ones. I can wear the cloth ones (one I made myself) for short periods of time, but still have a reaction. Ironically, the main place I wear a mask is to get my allergy shot
I am not required to in my home, nor are the kids.
I am required to wear one when teaching for church, but was told a face shield was ok instead
Blackcat31 01:07 PM 07-23-2020
My state just implemented a state wide mask requirement as well but daycare's in-home and centers have options.

Kids under 2 should NEVER wear one due to suffocation hazards and kids under 5 can wear them but don't have to.

Kids over 5 must wear them UNLESS the provider cares for a mixed age group and then we can have the 5+ yr olds forego wearing a mask if we notify all parents and include it in our written COVID plans.

Parents MUST wear one when on the child care property.

Providers and staff do NOT have to wear one.

I wrote up my plan and handed it out to parents. My plan includes the above but I did require ANY kid over age 2 to wear one IF the child has any interactions with family/friends in a social setting outside of care (ie birthday parties/family reunions/etc) or if the child travels outside of our community.

Too many of my families are having huge birthday parties still and going to mommy and me groups at parks etc.. They are traveling to water parks, zoos and other places and it kind of freaks me out a bit so I added the last part to my COVID plan...just a small safety net that makes me feel a bit better overall.
much_lovee 03:09 PM 07-23-2020
In my state all home providers are required to wear one along with all kids in the daycare over two. This also includes my husband if he is in our home. I’m also required to provide all mask per my licensing rules (after the state shut me down for 2.5 months to all “nonessential” parents and I went without a paycheck). It’s craziness to me, my kids don’t tolerate it, especially when they see toddlers running around with them not wearing one. The only times we’re not required to is when we eat, sleep, or go outside.

I definitely do not wear a mask any other time in my home. If my husband or I have Covid the daycare kids will be exposed whether I wear a mask or not during work because it’s my home and I do live here. If another child has Covid the other kids will be exposed to it during meals, outside time, or from the children under 2. Unfortunately that is just the risk of it, and in a home setting a mask will not stop that.

I will wear a mask in public when I’m required to, but I don’t understand how they will enforce providers wearing a mask in their own home. My state has also had very strict laws since the beginning.
Tags:coronavirus - managing daycare, covid-19 - procedures, covid-19 and daycare, face masks
Reply Up