Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Might Need Surgery? What To Do...
kpa0627 10:21 AM 08-12-2010
I just went to obgyn yesterday where they found a 2 inch cyst on my right ovary. I go back in 6 weeks so they can do an ultrasound and see if it's the same size or has gotten any bigger and if that's the case I will need surgery for removal. He said recovery time is 2 weeks if they do it laproscopically (sp?) or up to 6 weeks if they have to cut me open for surgery. So, I'm going to be hopeful and assume if I do have surgery (which I'm pretty sure I will) that it will be laproscopically so I will need 2 weeks to recover.
What would you do in this situation?
Would you close for two weeks?
Would you close for one week and have a friend/relative help during the second week (my mom said she was willing)?
I already know if I close they do NOT have to pay for daycare during that time.
My only concern is I JUST took a week off (unpaid) the beginning of June to move to a bigger house for the daycare. I don't want parents to think I'm unreliable and close too much but I can't really help the circumstance. The only other time I closed was this week on Tuesday because I went to the ER right after work monday for nausea, fever and stomach pains (this is how they found the cyst after a ct scan).
Any advise is welcome!
tymaboy 10:43 AM 08-12-2010
I had laproscopically for Endometriosis & cysts. I only needed to take a few days off (plus the weekend). What I did was when I found out that I needed it I scheduled it for the beginning of the yr. That way we where able to put it on the flex bend card & it gave my parents several months notice. I figured I had already been dealling with it for several yrs before finding a Dr. that gave a sh** that a few more months wasnt going to make a difference.
mncare 10:47 AM 08-12-2010
If the families can't deal with you having surgery that would be ridiculous and cold-hearted! It is beyond your control.

If you have someone willing to help that second week I would definitely give your families the option of attending that week. If they are not comfortable with you using your backup then they have the option of finding their own.

Good luck with everything!
Francine 10:58 AM 08-12-2010
What ages of kids do you care for? I would think alot of the recovery would be just not lifting so if you have older kids that could manage without you lifting them you could probably open sooner. I had a bladder thing done a few years ago and schduled it for the Thursday before Memorial Day so I had Thursday, Friday, the weekend and Monday off. I think I might have had one baby at the time, that Mom made other arrangements for a week I think. 6 weeks off will be hard, we will pray that it doesn't come to that.
DCMomOf3 11:30 AM 08-12-2010
I would try to hire an assistant for the days you were laid up. Your mom is a good idea, or someone who would be willing to get paid a little so you don't completely lose the income for those weeks. Othewise, I agree with MNcare. I would hope your families would understand.
tmcp2001 01:04 PM 08-12-2010
When I was working outside the home (I have four children under 9) my childcare provider had surgery and took 6 weeks off. I didn't have to pay her for the time but I did need to find other care for those 6 weeks. I was lucky enough (or smart enough???) to have two other providers (both retired formerly-licensed providers) who were able to cover most of the time for me and my MIL was able to help out a bit too.

We loved our provider and she was worth waiting for! Your families should understand and be willing to work through this with you if they are worth having as clients! Good luck!
MyAngels 08:27 PM 08-12-2010
If it were me I would talk to my dc families now, to get their input on how difficult it would be for them to find backup care for both scenarios (2 weeks off or 6 weeks off). This will give you a good idea of what you might need to do to cover if it will be too problematic for them, but I would bet that they will be understanding, especially since they'll have plenty of notice to make other arrangements if need be. I always worry about this type of thing, too, but my families have always been terrific about it.
misol 08:00 AM 08-13-2010
First, let me say that I hope everything works out and you DO NOT have to have this surgery. That being said...

I think it would be best to find a substitute provider that is available for the maximum recovery time plus one week (just in case you have complications). For most of the time, you could probably be back at work with some strict physical restrictions. So, your sub will mainly be there for the physical part of the job and you will still be there for the social/emotional/educational part. Since you were going to take off unpaid if you close anyway, just stay open and pay a sub part of your income.

Originally Posted by tmcp2001:
When I was working outside the home (I have four children under 9) my childcare provider had surgery and took 6 weeks off. I didn't have to pay her for the time but I did need to find other care for those 6 weeks. I was lucky enough (or smart enough???) to have two other providers (both retired formerly-licensed providers) who were able to cover most of the time for me and my MIL was able to help out a bit too.

We loved our provider and she was worth waiting for! Your families should understand and be willing to work through this with you if they are worth having as clients! Good luck!
Ahhh, I hope that kpa0627 is lucky enough to have parents like you!
Tags:sick days, sick policy
Reply Up