Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is Hot Glue Water Resistant For Making Snow Globes?
DaycareMama 09:31 AM 12-04-2012
I've checked online and the answers are 50/50 . I want to use the hot glue to glue down a trinket on the lids of baby food jars but I kinda remember doing this eons ago and I think the trinkets popped off after pressing the "pop up freshness button" on the lid.

What glue do you all recommend if not hot glue?
Blackcat31 09:39 AM 12-04-2012
Use Super Glue or some sort of Epoxy.

What exactly are you gluing? We made snow globes with baby food jars in the past and hot glue will NOT keep them closed. We used a gel super glue. Hubs said epoxy made specifically for the type of product (glass, plastic, rubber etc) you are using should also work. Easily found at Wal-mart.
DaycareMama 09:58 AM 12-04-2012
On my trial one I hot glued the inside of the lid of the top before I closed it ( forgetting to try the trinket inside) and I will be darned I can't get that baby open! But I wanted to glue something like a pine tree inside or a plastic snowman I was thinking like little super mini Christmas village accessories ya know?

Also I read you should use distilled or boiled water? But no reason why not top water??
Blackcat31 10:27 AM 12-04-2012
Originally Posted by DaycareMama:
On my trial one I hot glued the inside of the lid of the top before I closed it ( forgetting to try the trinket inside) and I will be darned I can't get that baby open! But I wanted to glue something like a pine tree inside or a plastic snowman I was thinking like little super mini Christmas village accessories ya know?

Also I read you should use distilled or boiled water? But no reason why not top water??
Tap water will turn murky and cloudy sometimes so I assume that is why they suggested distilled or boiled.

I have had pretty good luck with hot glue on the baby food lids too but I have also had 2 kids seem to be able to twist them off so I didn't want to take any chances...but I guess if the snow globes are being sent home, it won't be your mess to clean if they do come off.........kidding!
DaycareMama 10:37 AM 12-04-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Tap water will turn murky and cloudy sometimes so I assume that is why they suggested distilled or boiled.

I have had pretty good luck with hot glue on the baby food lids too but I have also had 2 kids seem to be able to twist them off so I didn't want to take any chances...but I guess if the snow globes are being sent home, it won't be your mess to clean if they do come off.........kidding!
Haha . That's what I was thinking.

I'm gonna hold off anyway till I get the epoxy so at least the trinkets will stay put. Just curious what you put inside yours?
newtodaycare22 11:43 AM 12-04-2012
I did the baby jar thing a few years ago and it made me nervous, even with epoxy. FYI: Ac moore has picture snow globes (for the kids faces). Regularly 2.99, one sale here for 2 and then you can try a coupon. For me, it was worth it. lol
Blackcat31 11:47 AM 12-04-2012
Haha . That's what I was thinking.

I'm gonna hold off anyway till I get the epoxy so at least the trinkets will stay put. Just curious what you put inside yours?
We used plastic trees, snowmen (made from small pom-poms), plastic flowers and one army man.

FYI, if you use mineral oil or baby oil, the snow fall effect is MUCH better than using water. Mineral oil is what i used the second time we made snow gloves and I have to say the snow falling was soooo much cooler than the ones we made using water.
mema 12:16 PM 12-04-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
We used plastic trees, snowmen (made from small pom-poms), plastic flowers and one army man.

FYI, if you use mineral oil or baby oil, the snow fall effect is MUCH better than using water. Mineral oil is what i used the second time we made snow gloves and I have to say the snow falling was soooo much cooler than the ones we made using water.
Did you fill it only with the mineral oil or a mix of water and mineral oil???
Blackcat31 12:31 PM 12-04-2012
Just mineral oil. Whatever you choose to use, don't mix it with anything other than glitter (or snow) and whatever trinket you are using. Mixing causes too much chaos inside....
DaycareMama 06:16 PM 12-04-2012
Hmmm didn't think of mineral oil or baby oil . I was thinking about the picture inside also tonight. Of course when I went to get more trinkets they decide to pull them off the shelf : so I instantly thought pictures. Now if I could figure out how to laminate the picture and put it in making it look pretty I'll be golden
Countrygal 11:54 AM 12-05-2012
I made these once and they turned out great and lasted for YEARS. Here's what we did (not sure it's all safe for DC - you might have to do some of the steps yourself.

Use tub caulk - the kind that comes in a tube like hand cream. Make a little mound on the lid and put your trinkets in it. Let dry completely. Fill with mineral oil and glitter. The mineral oil is thicker and makes a nice "floaty" snow. Then seal the jar with a ring of the tub caulk. Make sure you don't miss any spot. I put the caulk on the lid around the edge, if I remember correctly, and then screwed the jar into the caulk.... Then I put a nice ribbon around the jar lid edge and hot glued that on.

Hope this helps!
melilley 01:59 PM 12-05-2012
Neat idea!
Unregistered 07:02 AM 12-03-2019

distilled water works better for coloration...less minerals and such in them to interact with the other items in the globe.
Tags:arts and crafts, christmas crafts, snow globes
Reply Up