Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>We've got a BITER!
wdmmom 03:17 PM 08-02-2011
I've been watching 10 month old DCB for 5 months. He started here at 5 months old with 2 teeth. He now has 8 teeth and has recently started biting.

First it was the spoon when feeding him. Then it escalated to his mom, a few weeks ago it was my assistant and before it goes any further, I want to nip it in the bud! Asking DCM for help is a joke. She thinks it's funny that he bites and that it's his way of showing affection. I really don't think so. He nailed her on the chest the other night at departure and he nailed my assistant on the upper arm.

My 1 year old is returning next week (teacher's child) and I fear he will be the newest gourmet feast.

How do I get this infant to realize that what he's doing hurts and he can't do it?! Does time out really work at this age?!

It has happened once a week for the last 3 weeks but we have to monitor him like a hawk during floor play.

Any advice?!
dEHmom 03:23 PM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I've been watching 10 month old DCB for 5 months. He started here at 5 months old with 2 teeth. He now has 8 teeth and has recently started biting.

First it was the spoon when feeding him. Then it escalated to his mom, a few weeks ago it was my assistant and before it goes any further, I want to nip it in the bud! Asking DCM for help is a joke. She thinks it's funny that he bites and that it's his way of showing affection. I really don't think so. He nailed her on the chest the other night at departure and he nailed my assistant on the upper arm.

My 1 year old is returning next week (teacher's child) and I fear he will be the newest gourmet feast.

How do I get this infant to realize that what he's doing hurts and he can't do it?! Does time out really work at this age?!

It has happened once a week for the last 3 weeks but we have to monitor him like a hawk during floor play.

Any advice?!
i know you cannot do it with a dck, but with my own children I bit them back. they never bit again.

i had an incident a few weeks ago with the 2 dcb's biting each other and they never bit again. but i figure because they both bit each other they showed each other it hurts. lol.
Kaddidle Care 03:58 PM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Asking DCM for help is a joke. She thinks it's funny that he bites and that it's his way of showing affection. I really don't think so.
Not funny - 3 strikes your out! He's down 1 or 2 from what I've read. I can't figure out if he got your assistant once or twice.
What does your Assistant say about it? You don't want to loose her over it.

I personally wouldn't tolerate more than 3 bites from a child and would threaten it's them or me.
Cat Herder 04:03 PM 08-02-2011
IMHO, You are going to have to shadow him and watch for ANY pattern of escalation in play. As soon as he puts his face NEAR anyone separate him immediately.

Whenever you leave the room for any reason or are not able to shadow him, separate him.

If he bites you or your assistant, stop whatever you were doing and separate him. He has to learn that biting equals being shunned.

You will have to do this until he earns your trust again and is safe to be allowed into group play situations.

Mom will need to understand that this is the Number 1 reason for immediate termination. That will leave her high and dry and her child labeled a "terror". I don't see ANYTHING funny about that.
momma2girls 04:05 PM 08-02-2011
I personally would never keep him either. I have only had one child in the last 8 yrs. of providing care, that was 3 yrs. old that bit!! Needless to say , he bit my daughter and he never returned!! The worst part about this all- his 2 sisters told me his first day- you have to watch**** he bites all the time!! He bit my daughter, drew blood even, within 1/2 hr. after arriving, on his first day- called his Mom and she picked him right up, and couldn't return!! Here found out he was kicked out of 2 other daycaers that I know about, before coming here!!
Tags:biter, bites, biting
Reply Up