Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hiring Help
mamap 11:49 AM 11-20-2012
Hi All!

I'm looking to hire an assistant/substitute and am looking for a little guidance beyond "state requirements". I'll cover those, but can any of you give me any advice about hiring, do's, don'ts, etc?

I've never been in a position to hire someone and need a helper as I'm now in a high-risk pregnancy and need the support person (even if it's only a day or two a week for until baby comes).

Thanks in advance!
Blackcat31 11:52 AM 11-20-2012
Here are some other threads about hiring an assistant/substitute. https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=hiring
daycare 12:08 PM 11-20-2012
Originally Posted by mamap:
Hi All!

I'm looking to hire an assistant/substitute and am looking for a little guidance beyond "state requirements". I'll cover those, but can any of you give me any advice about hiring, do's, don'ts, etc?

I've never been in a position to hire someone and need a helper as I'm now in a high-risk pregnancy and need the support person (even if it's only a day or two a week for until baby comes).

Thanks in advance!
I would also suggest reading the home page articles written by Nannyde. She has some amazing advice about how to hire the RIGHT employee.

I recently hired someone and here is what I have...

Do:
make sure that they are on board with all of the licensing requirements or are willing to get them in a timely manner.
Do make sure that they can handle the job. I allowed the asst to come for about an hour here and then a couple times a week during my very busy time so that they could see what it was like. I wanted to make sure they knew how emotionally and physically demanding this job is.

One good point Nannyde points out, is that you need to make sure that you have your job title down. Know what you want them to do.
Like will they only be there to help you clean, or will they also help assist the children? YOu have to know what you are looking for before you will start looking. Define the job

another thing to think about is if you will hire someone who will have to bring a child with them. I had a discussion about this on the form here and everyone brought up some good points that it was not a good idea. In the end, I went with their advice and did not hire someone who would bring their child.

I also have a NO cell phone rule and NO smoking rule.

I hired a male assistant and so far I love him to death... Oh another thing...it would be a really good idea if you wrote out everything you want them to do daily..

I was so used to doing everything on my own that I had a hard time telling him what to do. I finally sat down and made a list of things he needed to do each day and now he does that and more......I love this kid...
mamap 12:17 PM 11-20-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I would also suggest reading the home page articles written by Nannyde. She has some amazing advice about how to hire the RIGHT employee.

I recently hired someone and here is what I have...

Do:
make sure that they are on board with all of the licensing requirements or are willing to get them in a timely manner.
Do make sure that they can handle the job. I allowed the asst to come for about an hour here and then a couple times a week during my very busy time so that they could see what it was like. I wanted to make sure they knew how emotionally and physically demanding this job is.

One good point Nannyde points out, is that you need to make sure that you have your job title down. Know what you want them to do.
Like will they only be there to help you clean, or will they also help assist the children? YOu have to know what you are looking for before you will start looking. Define the job

another thing to think about is if you will hire someone who will have to bring a child with them. I had a discussion about this on the form here and everyone brought up some good points that it was not a good idea. In the end, I went with their advice and did not hire someone who would bring their child.

I also have a NO cell phone rule and NO smoking rule.

I hired a male assistant and so far I love him to death... Oh another thing...it would be a really good idea if you wrote out everything you want them to do daily..

I was so used to doing everything on my own that I had a hard time telling him what to do. I finally sat down and made a list of things he needed to do each day and now he does that and more......I love this kid...
Perfect, thanks for the advice! This is exactly what I was looking for!
Reply Up