Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WoW!!
logged out for privacy 09:03 AM 05-10-2012
How long does it take former clients to stop harrasing you?

I recently fired a family. And they call constantly. I told them they weren't a good fit for my facility. The mom has been constantly calling and texting. She asked me to leave her child's things on the doorstep for them to pick up, then she told me I was unproffesional for doing that.
Then she texted me that she was so disappointed in me. UMMM Im not a child!!

I called my licensor to tell them, but I had to leave a message. Is there anything else I can do?
Blackcat31 09:06 AM 05-10-2012
Yes. I would call the police and ask them to notify this parent that they need to stop contacting you.

Make sure you save all the texts and messages they leave you.

They are definitely harassing you and the police will probably be happy to help before it turns out to be something they need to physically involve themselves in.

Good luck...that sounds like a pretty sucky situation to be in. Hang in there and hopefully the law can help make them go away.
MizzCheryl 09:10 AM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by logged out for privacy:
How long does it take former clients to stop harrasing you?

I recently fired a family. And they call constantly. I told them they werent a good fit for my facility. The mom has been constantly calling and texting. She asked me to leave her childs things on the doorstep for them to pick up, then she told me I was unproffesional for doing that.
Then she texted me that she was so disapointed in me. UMMM Im not a child!!

I called my licensor to tell them, but I had to leave a message. Is there anything else I can do?
I quit one family that left cursing messseges on my phone for about a week. I just stopped answereing, didn't listen to the messeges and cut all communications. If someone tried to tell me something they said I politely told them I did not wish to discuss it. It finally stopped but at the time I thought I would have to take legal action. I called my licensor as well.
It all depends on how badly they take rejection. Some people are secure and say ok, we are not a good fit. Have a nice day.
Others (as the parent that harassed me said ) "flip s#*t"
That was her words.
Unregistered 09:21 AM 05-10-2012
I have not responded to any messages or texts or calls. I dont play tit for tat. I hope they just go away.
wdmmom 09:32 AM 05-10-2012
I had a family that I termed because dad was getting way too "chummy" with my staff assistant and had enough gall to ask her to go work for him and he would pay more than I was paying! (All while I was standing right there!)

I gave them a probationary warning about 3 weeks before. That day DCM showed up, she got the termination notice. Then it all started. Name calling, telling me that she hated me, hated my daycare, said I didn't do anything with them, and continued screaming til I shut the door. (I know, I know...unprofessional but so isn't drawing attention to yourself.)

That evening DCD came over and tried to smooth things over. I stood in the house and talked through the screen door. He kept apoligizing throughout the 5 minutes we talked and at the end, he asks, "So, we all good now, right?" I said, "Yep. I appreciate you apologized."

He must have misinterpreted that as, "we all good" in the context that I would still be working for him. He showed up with kids in tow the next morning. I didn't answer the door! He left me a message telling me that he should have known I was gonna be like this and to have a Merry Christmas. (It wasn't anywhere near Christmas.) I think this family just had to have the last word and make themselves feel better by making it sound like they ended it.

I would contact the police and start keeping a log of the calls and texts. If it continues, you might be able to have the district attorney prosecute.
MarinaVanessa 09:53 AM 05-10-2012
Stop answering her texts or calls. Keep a record of hers though and save any text messages and voicemail messages that she leaves you. If she continues to call even though you ignore her calls and continues to harrass you past 2 weeks write them a certified letter asking them to stop harrassing you. Don't talk about why they left or anything else, just keep the subject of the letter centered around the harrassment.

Originally Posted by :
[Date]
TO: [DCP]
[DCP Address]

[Your Address]

Dear DCP:

This letter is to inform you that your harrassment actions against me, [Your Name], and my family, have become intolerable. This letter is to demand that your, harassment tactics STOP immediately. Should you continue to pursue these activities, I will not hesitate to pursue legal action against you including, but not limited to, civil action and/or criminal complaints.

Note that a copy of this letter and a record of its delivery will be stored. Note too that it is admissible as evidence in a court of law and will be used as such if need be in the future.

This letter demands that you immediately discontinue and do not at any point in the future under any circumstances do any of the following to [Your Name] or my family:

[add or remove what pertains to you]
speak to, contact, pursue, harass, telephone (via cellular or landline), instant message, page, fax, email, slander, follow, stalk, shadow, disturb my peace, keep me under surveillance, gather and/or post information about me or my family electronically, block my movements at home, work, social and family gatherings, religious functions and/or any other reasonable day-to-day activities, past, present or future.

Should you willfully choose to continue your current course of action, I will not hesitate to file a complaint with the police department in your jurisdiction for your ongoing violations of the Criminal Laws in effect in [Your State], and I will take appropriate steps in the appropriate civil court(s) too.

This letter does not constitute an exhaustive statement of my position nor is it a waiver of any of my rights and/or remedies in this and/or any other related matter.

I demand your immediate attention and compliance in this matter. Any further contact from [DCP] towards me will be considered a violation of this demand.

[Your Name]

Attached to this letter is a copy of the contact log.
Type up (in order that it occured) a log of when she made contact with you and a general description of what she said.

Example:
Originally Posted by :
Log of Contact

[Date] Child care contract was terminated by the child care provider [Your Name]
[Date] [DCP] called my cell phone. Left a message in which she called me names [be specific].
[Date] I sent [DCP] a message asking for her to not contact me.
[Date] [DCP] called my house phone and hung up.
[Date] [DCP] called my cell phone and requested that I leave her child's belonging on my front porch.
[Date] [DCP] came to pick up her child's belongings. No contact was made.
[Date] Received a text message in which [DCP] called me unproffesional for leaving her child's belongings on the front porch even though it was at her own request.
[Date] Recieved a text in which she called me a [blah,blah,blah]
[Date] [DCP] Called my home phone. Left a message saying [blah, blah, blah].
Etc.
Of course the above are just general examples. You will want to list the days that she called you and when you responded to her as well. Make the descriptions as brief as possible and if you like you can add the times that she called (a good idea if she calls late at night or really early in the morning). Then attach the log to the letter above and send both of them to her. Keep copies of both.

If she continues to call you even once after receiveing the letter then I would file a police report for harrassment. Have this letter and the attachment ready for the police officer to see. Transcribing her texts and voicemail messages is also a good idea although you will want to have the PO actually listen to her voicemails and show him any texts etc.

So sorry you have to through this. Good Luck.
Unregistered 10:21 AM 05-10-2012
MarinaVanessa thank you so much! I hope I don't need the letter!!!

I just got off the phone with my licensor and told him what was going on. He told me to document everything and took their names and their childs name down. The only bad part is if they do file a complaint then I will still be investigated whether or not its true. But he did say since I called him today and Im keeping all texts and voicemails it will help substantiate that I'm being harrased, and any investigation will be results will say unfounded.
Tags:bad fit, harrassment, parent from hell
Reply Up