Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training in Diapers?
JackandJill 11:02 AM 04-11-2016
Hi, I am wondering if any of you ladies bother potty training while kiddos are still in diapers. Parents have started "training" at home (sitting him on the toilet any time he gets a diaper change but then putting him back into a diaper). I do have a training policy in my contract, that outlines the role I will play in training. But part of me would love to just get the training out of the way (hes already 3), but part of me feels like the parents are pushing for me to do it, but not doing it at home. Has it ever back fired on you, taking the lead in training? Thanks!
Blackcat31 11:07 AM 04-11-2016
Originally Posted by JackandJill:
Hi, I am wondering if any of you ladies bother potty training while kiddos are still in diapers. Parents have started "training" at home (sitting him on the toilet any time he gets a diaper change but then putting him back into a diaper). I do have a training policy in my contract, that outlines the role I will play in training. But part of me would love to just get the training out of the way (hes already 3), but part of me feels like the parents are pushing for me to do it, but not doing it at home. Has it ever back fired on you, taking the lead in training? Thanks!
Yes, it has backfired on me...

I do NOT involve myself in the potty training process at all.

When a kiddo is ready most my families take 3 days, hit it hard and the child comes in Pull-ups or underwear with protective covers to daycare.

Once they've mastered being dry here for a FULL 2 weeks, they can go right to undies without any type of covering.

Here is the potty training section of my handbook
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8_...ew?usp=sharing
laundrymom 12:00 PM 04-11-2016
I stopped taking initiative as well. I got tired of getting them trained here and only here.
Now I will take if child asks but never initiate and allow the parents to make the first steps.
Unregistered 12:41 PM 04-11-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I stopped taking initiative as well. I got tired of getting them trained here and only here.
Now I will take if child asks but never initiate and allow the parents to make the first steps.
Me too
DisneySitter 03:05 PM 04-11-2016
If I am babysitting at a childs home or helping parents at Disney an a parent tells me the child is potty training (regardless of diaper, pullup or underwear) I will take them until they show no interest.

As an example, I had a child today that was in a diaper but the parent said she didn't believe in Pullups and was letting him sit on the potty at diaper change. First couple changes I obliged and sat him on the potty after the wet diaper but before the new one.

On the 3rd change he was set, sat on the potty, didn't do anything, put the clean diaper on him and he immediately dirtied. Rest of the day I didn't attempt to sit him on the potty and probably won't tomorrow either.
Unregistered 12:14 AM 04-12-2016
U could put under wear under his diaper so he feels it and catches on.i just do full time under i use the thick gerber under with the built in waterproof and the contain all the mess most of the time.if the kids are with me fulltime i potty train cause if there with me all day everday then its easier and the parents need the help cause the work all week and cant do it. Most people hate potty training but i enjoy it ,i think cause im really good at it my daycare kids are full potty trained by 2 1/2 if they are fulltime/long term i start them really early .
Unregistered 12:18 AM 04-12-2016
The under wear i use full time the gerber waterproof under wear is sold at walmart or target
Nurse Jackie 08:04 AM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yes, it has backfired on me...

I do NOT involve myself in the potty training process at all.

When a kiddo is ready most my families take 3 days, hit it hard and the child comes in Pull-ups or underwear with protective covers to daycare.

Once they've mastered being dry here for a FULL 2 weeks, they can go right to undies without any type of covering.

Here is the potty training section of my handbook
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8_...ew?usp=sharing
Thanks blackcat
Tags:diapers, potty training
Reply Up