Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Regarding "Unregistered Guests"
Candyland 12:23 PM 03-14-2011
In regards to the poster who had the gall to start a thread, throw their weight around anonymously and offend some: I really would like to see all the "unregistered guests" here registered or not have the opportunity to "speak their mind" anonymously.

I asked this a few months ago. hey, I don't mind people coming around and reading what's on this site, but to have the gall to speak their mind and not be reistered here, well, I believe "speaking your mind" on this site is a privilege, not a right.

Michael??
Zoe 12:25 PM 03-14-2011
It would be nice if this were more of a "safe" place to come for advice and support. Not a place to be bashed for seeking help. I know how hard it is to regulate that sort of thing on the internet, but I'm open to suggestions!

I hope everyone has a better afternoon! One more hour for me...whoo hoo!
Blackcat31 12:43 PM 03-14-2011
This issue has been addressed several times and I think Michael's thinking is that unregisterd guests should and need a place to find out advice, information and any tips or tricks they could learn from a site that has members from all walks of life.....this includes one time visitors and unregistered guests.

At first, I too, thought only registered members should have a place on this forum but in reality it is the world wide web and no one should be kept out because they aren't registered. We may feel that we "know" each other and honestly a few of us do, but really what difference does it make if someone is not registered and they post? Nasty or nice, if you don't agree, then don't respond.... I feel I have made many friends here but I also know that in real life, I only know what the member has told me or shared with me and none of that do I know to be true unless I have actually met the person.

It is easy to be angry or upset about an unregistered guest, but like our profession teaches us...no two are alike so, I for one welcome the unregistered guests. It is nice to see people who feel passionately about a topic or subject to the point that they take the time to respond.....even when I don't agree.

Michael was kind enough to make a section FOR MEMBERS ONLY but even there we really have no right to expect people not to tread on our territory since it really isn't our territory. It is the internet where all sorts of people hang out....kwim? Anyone can register and make a comment and then dissappear. I have only been on this forum a short time and already I have seen many members disappear.

So while we would all like to feel safe and shielded from posters who like to stir the pot, we need to remember that we are using a public forum. Unless we develop some sort of hazing or initiation ritual, we are not going to stop people from commenting or joining the group.

If we just follow the "Golden Rule", we should all be just fine!
Michael 01:15 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have only been on this forum a short time
Been here a short time and you already have 1400 posts! Well said.
DCMomOf3 01:16 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
Haha. I saw the comment and had to look at her start date to believe it.
countrymom 01:19 PM 03-14-2011
Hmm, how about unregistered users only being able to see some of the site, I know alot of forums are doing this, so they can read maybe one or two posts and then thats it. Also, I think we need to have something that if we want to post anon but we are a registered user and unregistered user.
Well, how about if we want to be anon but are a registered user then we send it to a mod, all unregistered users go thru michael. It would weed out alot of nonsense.
Blackcat31 01:22 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
Haha. I saw the comment and had to look at her start date to believe it.
Are you implying that I talk alot?!?!
MyAngels 01:26 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This issue has been addressed several times and I think Michael's thinking is that unregisterd guests should and need a place to find out advice, information and any tips or tricks they could learn from a site that has members from all walks of life.....this includes one time visitors and unregistered guests.

At first, I too, thought only registered members should have a place on this forum but in reality it is the world wide web and no one should be kept out because they aren't registered. We may feel that we "know" each other and honestly a few of us do, but really what difference does it make if someone is not registered and they post? Nasty or nice, if you don't agree, then don't respond.... I feel I have made many friends here but I also know that in real life, I only know what the member has told me or shared with me and none of that do I know to be true unless I have actually met the person.

It is easy to be angry or upset about an unregistered guest, but like our profession teaches us...no two are alike so, I for one welcome the unregistered guests. It is nice to see people who feel passionately about a topic or subject to the point that they take the time to respond.....even when I don't agree.

Michael was kind enough to make a section FOR MEMBERS ONLY but even there we really have no right to expect people not to tread on our territory since it really isn't our territory. It is the internet where all sorts of people hang out....kwim? Anyone can register and make a comment and then dissappear. I have only been on this forum a short time and already I have seen many members disappear.

So while we would all like to feel safe and shielded from posters who like to stir the pot, we need to remember that we are using a public forum. Unless we develop some sort of hazing or initiation ritual, we are not going to stop people from commenting or joining the group.

If we just follow the "Golden Rule", we should all be just fine!
All very good points, and I agree.

I've also noticed in the short time that I've been participating on this board that there seems to be an ebb and flow to the mood here. There are periods when there is quite a bit of arguing, but then there are plenty of times (more often than not) that it's a friendly and engaging place. Like all things in life, you get the good with the bad .

I've never minded unregistered posters because, really, what's required to register? You can get a free e-mail address, put in fake information, and post away.
Michael 01:30 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I've never minded unregistered posters because, really, what's required to register? You can get a free e-mail address, put in fake information, and post away.
Exactly. I have to clear out the "registered" members every week. We usually have an extra 9000 of them! 99% are spammers. Nothing beats the eyes and ears of moderation and the potential for upgraded status.
Former Teacher 04:42 PM 03-14-2011
While I totally respect Michael's decision and I do see his point, I, too, wish that only registered users participate.

I for one feel that these "guests" do like to stir up the pot. Have you noticed that when sometimes an old post shows up, that an unregistered guest is the one that posted something on it just to bump it up? Just recently there was one that was 2 years old! I sometimes think that people have alot of time on their hands

That being said: I have decided that I will not respond to unregistered guests threads. Maybe if they get no feedback then they will register. As for me, if they can't take 5 seconds and get a screen name for themselves, well then I am not going to waste my time either.
momatheart 04:47 PM 03-14-2011
Can there be only one area that unregisters can post and ask questoins and make all the other areas private?
Cat Herder 05:17 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I've also noticed in the short time that I've been participating on this board that there seems to be an ebb and flow to the mood here. .
Captain Obvious suggests that perhaps it is an every 28 day cycle??

Ok, that was a smart*** comment, but I HAD to do it....
daycare 05:22 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:

lmao hahahshahshssh I love it!
DCMomOf3 05:27 PM 03-14-2011

hahahaha! perhaps....
Candyland 05:44 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
Can there be only one area that unregisters can post and ask questoins and make all the other areas private?
that's an idea that I like!
MyAngels 06:52 PM 03-14-2011

I wondered who would be the first to pick up on that .

It does fit, doesn't it?
SilverSabre25 06:57 PM 03-14-2011

Hmmm...you may have something there..
dEHmom 05:03 AM 03-15-2011
Many MANY MANY forums I've found through google searches to find out information have tons of great info, but you have to register to comment on them. It still allows those just looking for answers, help, or advice to seek them, find them, and use them. Just limits the amount of disturbance.

While I agree with a pp who said it's just a fake email name etc to register, but that does take some time, and most people wouldn't bother spending the time to do it. Some will and some won't. But even if lets say 10% won't, that's 10% less.

I also feel that maybe having an option for registered members to sign out for privacy, or "hide user name" might be beneficial so that we are not "unregistered" users but simply protecting our privacy.
dEHmom 05:04 AM 03-15-2011

Shall we count?

I know those who live close or spend a lot of time together cycle together, but I wonder if it's the same on the forums!!! hahahaha, I've been a little off lately.
SilverSabre25 05:08 AM 03-15-2011
I also wonder if it doesn't get worse in the winter and better in the summer.
dEHmom 06:25 AM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I also wonder if it doesn't get worse in the winter and better in the summer.
I haven't been here through the summer yet, but I know for sure that come summertime, I will be missing daycare.com quite a bit!!! Summertime we are outside unless it's rainy or something.

I bet it slows down a lot in the summertime.
Michael 11:07 AM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
I bet it slows down a lot in the summertime.
I hope not. At least your summers are shorter in Canada.
dEHmom 11:10 AM 03-15-2011
I hope not. At least your summers are shorter in Canada.
yes, so that is why we spend almost every waking minute outside in summer!!!! we eat and sometimes sleep outside! it's crazy! hahaha

hopefully by summer I will have my laptop and wifi, and i'll be all set to daycare.com and suntan at same time.
Michael 11:26 AM 03-15-2011
hopefully by summer I will have my laptop and wifi, and i'll be all set to daycare.com and suntan at same time.
Perfect! I own Suntan.com too.
dEHmom 11:33 AM 03-15-2011

what domain don't you own! coffee.com?
DCMomOf3 11:36 AM 03-15-2011

what domain don't you own! coffee.com?
I would love it if he did. I am a coffee girl.
dEHmom 11:39 AM 03-15-2011
me too i'm all about my coffee and either french vanilla creamer or mocha almond fudge creamer. YUM. MAF today!
Crystal 11:41 AM 03-15-2011
mmmmmmmm..................mocha..................now I want one
Tags:unregistered members, vent
Reply Up