Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Well My Mom Says..........................
daycare 02:36 PM 11-07-2013
Don't even know where to start with this one.

every week we cover themes. Last week it was about houses. What kind of house do you live in, where does a mouse live, bees, rabbits, etc.....

this week we are learning about transportation, how do you get from here to there or how did you get to school today.

Well I have a dck that comes from a family, well they are straight SNOBS. Yes they do have money, but who cares......

During circle time we were discussing the topics listed above. I asked all the dcks what kind of house they live in. All of the kids gave a really cute answer. BUT this kid says well my mom says I live in a mansion and you guys live in the ghetto. . I tell DCK that was not a very nice thing to say, that is very hurtful.

Then I asked the kids, how did you get to school today. Most of them said, my mom/dad drove me to school in a car/truck.

This kid says, my mom says we have better cars then everyone, we have a BMW and you guys drive dirty cars. I then tell DCK if you don't have anything nice to share, then I don't want to hear it.

He goes on and says, my mom said that you don't eat food that's why your so skinny and she's going to save you from dying so she's going to get you some pie.

WOW......obviously DCM is talking badly about everyone here, including me. I don't even know where to start with this one.
Leanna 02:47 PM 11-07-2013
O.M.G. I hope the pie is a humble pie and that she makes some for her own family!!!!!
Leigh 02:50 PM 11-07-2013
I would tell him that you can't believe a grown up would talk that way because it is what you would expect from a nasty brat. I would also tell him that judging other people makes the person doing it look very dumb (and I hate that word). I would also be tempted to tell him that one thing the other kids have that he does not is a nice, decent mommy. I would hope that would bring Mom to start a discussion with me that ended with her terming, but that's just me.
daycarediva 03:02 PM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
O.M.G. I hope the pie is a humble pie and that she makes some for her own family!!!!!

"dcm today at circle time Joey said his mommy told him that myself and his friends live in the ghetto and that he has a better house and cars. He also claims that you made a not so nice statement about my weight. I'm sure you said no such thing and wanted you to tell Joey that so he understands that saying mean things to people is hurtful." smile REALLY BIG!
TheGoodLife 03:06 PM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

"dcm today at circle time Joey said his mommy told him that myself and his friends live in the ghetto and that he has a better house and cars. He also claims that you made a not so nice statement about my weight. I'm sure you said no such thing and wanted you to tell Joey that so he understands that saying mean things to people is hurtful." smile REALLY BIG!
I would have to do this! Personally I would hold too much resentment (even though I wouldn't care about her actual opinion- to know she was saying those things about me to her own child in my daycare...) and it wouldn't end positively anyways. I'd let her know what DCB was saying, just to see what happened! But that's just me
cara041083 03:08 PM 11-07-2013

and then watch her try explain lol
daycare 03:28 PM 11-07-2013

ok you have to forgive me because I didn't know what humble pie was. lol I had to goolge it and boy did I have a laugh. Yes I do hope the mom has some too.

I really think that this is what I need to say. I am really upset about it. Not so much that DCK said those things, but what parent would say those things around a child? AND can't help it but what does my weight have to do with my ability to care for her child?? UGH I need a good vent.

I think that would be a good start on letting DCM know that DCK is saying these things and that they need to stop
MarinaVanessa 04:07 PM 11-07-2013
"Well no wonder you're so rude!!! That explains EVERYTHING!!! Your parents spent all of their money on their mansion and their fancy cars and now they don't have money to pay for your Manner School!!!"

J/K ... but only because he's a little kid .

Sugar Magnolia 04:17 PM 11-07-2013
What the what? Omg......I can't say I'm stunned....I live in a very have/have not community too. My son goes to a super snotty elementary school. They have UNIFORMS, but some "have" kid told my boy "haha you have Walmart shoes (not true, don't shop there) and your backpack is cheap no-name haha"

Hugs to you daycare......don't let it bother you. Maybe this child is just a victim of.a raging.case of parent dumba$$edness syndrome. So sorry your feelings are hurt, btdt.
spud912 04:18 PM 11-07-2013
Someone is jealous of your healthy weight .

Yeah I would tell her what dcb said and wait to see her stammer.
MarinaVanessa 04:20 PM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by spud912:
Someone is jealous of your healthy weight .

Yeah I would tell her what dcb said and wait to see her stammer.

Hit record on your phone when she gets there and drop it in your pocket so we can hear the stammering
daycare 04:43 PM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:

Hit record on your phone when she gets there and drop it in your pocket so we can hear the stammering
lol that would be super funny....

I am feeling sick, she comes to pick up in about 10 minutes.......
daycarediva 05:23 PM 11-07-2013
How did it go??
daycare 05:35 PM 11-07-2013
ummmmmmm. lets just say that I have never seen this dcm pick up so fast in my life.

I told her pretty much exactly what happened. she looked at me and said huh wonder where he got that idea???? deny deny deny

so then I said oh yeah and he keeps telling me about a pie that he wants to give me??? she said oh not sure what he's talking about. I said oh maybe I am miss understanding him but he keeps saying something about my weight and I need to eat a pie????

She looks at me very flustered says ok talk to you tomorrow. This child has been here 2.5 years and have always taken at least a good 10min to pick up and drop off..........

I started laughing when the door closed. I wonder what tomorrow drop off will be like.....but I did not say anything else. I think I will let it stew over a bit before I say anything else....
BumbleBee 05:38 PM 11-07-2013
*snicker* she's been BUSTED!
NeedaVaca 05:50 PM 11-07-2013
Tie "pies" into your next theme haha
crunchymama 06:27 PM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:407638:
Yes!! Next week should be all about pie!
spinnymarie 06:28 PM 11-07-2013
totally next week's theme:
how the evil witch used pies to fatten up hanzel and gretel
sharlan 06:41 PM 11-07-2013
All I can say is "WOW!"
nanglgrl 06:46 PM 11-07-2013
After the initial shock of this thread you guys had me laughing so hard. Tie your next theme to pies lol, too funny.
daycare 07:19 PM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
lol.......it is going to be thanksgiving.,.,..... maybe it's time to have some pumpkin pie....

next week theme how many words can you rhyme with PIE...........

or how many pies can miss N eat................lol
Unregistered 07:47 PM 11-07-2013
Maybe your next theme should be about caring, not comparing. Since thanksgiving is around the corner, it will tie in nicely. How the pilgrims needed help and the Indians helped them and showed them how to plant and harvest... and so on. Mention being fearful and helping others. That is really what the little boy needs to hear.
originalkat 08:07 PM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
ummmmmmm. lets just say that I have never seen this dcm pick up so fast in my life.

I told her pretty much exactly what happened. she looked at me and said huh wonder where he got that idea???? deny deny deny

so then I said oh yeah and he keeps telling me about a pie that he wants to give me??? she said oh not sure what he's talking about. I said oh maybe I am miss understanding him but he keeps saying something about my weight and I need to eat a pie????

She looks at me very flustered says ok talk to you tomorrow. This child has been here 2.5 years and have always taken at least a good 10min to pick up and drop off..........

I started laughing when the door closed. I wonder what tomorrow drop off will be like.....but I did not say anything else. I think I will let it stew over a bit before I say anything else....
Heheheheheh Oops. She knows she is busted. LOl. Maybe she learned something
Sunshine74 09:10 PM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:

MotherNature 04:47 AM 11-08-2013
Hahaha. Busted. Nice! Wonder what he'll say next week.
daycarediva 05:46 AM 11-08-2013
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
totally next week's theme:
how the evil witch used pies to fatten up hanzel and gretel
This cracked me up, seriously LOVE IT!

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Maybe your next theme should be about caring, not comparing. Since thanksgiving is around the corner, it will tie in nicely. How the pilgrims needed help and the Indians helped them and showed them how to plant and harvest... and so on. Mention being fearful and helping others. That is really what the little boy needs to hear.
great idea! Compassion, maybe helping others with a food drive?

I love how this played out! Great job daycare!
NeedaVaca 05:46 AM 11-08-2013
Pie throwing contest! Kids get to throw pies at parents that don't follow your policies(JK)!! heehee
melilley 11:24 AM 11-08-2013
Sorry she is talking about you! Glad she got called out!

But I did have to laugh at the pie theme idea!

How did drop off go today?
momofboys 11:29 AM 11-08-2013
This post made me LOL! Sorry she was making rude comments about your weight, never appropriate! I too was wondering how drop-off went with this parent today?
daycare 11:36 AM 11-08-2013
Dcd dropped off and not a word was said.
Dcd said see you this evening so I'm assuming he will be picking up too.
melilley 11:38 AM 11-08-2013
Dcd dropped off and not a word was said.
Dcd said see you this evening so I'm assuming he will be picking up too.
Good, I hope she thinks about what she said and hope she's too embarrassed to face you today.
daycare 03:28 PM 11-08-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Good, I hope she thinks about what she said and hope she's too embarrassed to face you today.
me too because I can't help but be mad about it.......
lovemykidstoo 03:54 PM 11-08-2013
Wow this is crazy. I was mad at first and then cracking up by the end of the thread. So glad that you said those things to her. That is hilarious! I would have loved to see her face!!!! Does dad usually drop off/ pick up or does mom? She should be extremely embarrassed.
daycare 04:00 PM 11-08-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Wow this is crazy. I was mad at first and then cracking up by the end of the thread. So glad that you said those things to her. That is hilarious! I would have loved to see her face!!!! Does dad usually drop off/ pick up or does mom? She should be extremely embarrassed.
dcm usually always picks up. in 3 years I think maybe 2 times dad has picked up. so I am just assuming that DCM is embarrassed because her kid sold her out...

my assts were teasing me all day today just making jokes.
Josiegirl 04:09 PM 11-08-2013
I would have been livid. And speechless. And hard-pressed to keep them. But you deserve an award for how you've handled it. Also, I believe you deserve a huge raise, seeing as how you're so underprivileged and underfed.
Was dcb listening as you told dcm all the things he said? Wonder what was said to him about the whole thing? Ooh I detest snobby rich people.
daycare 04:15 PM 11-08-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I would have been livid. And speechless. And hard-pressed to keep them. But you deserve an award for how you've handled it. Also, I believe you deserve a huge raise, seeing as how you're so underprivileged and underfed.
Was dcb listening as you told dcm all the things he said? Wonder what was said to him about the whole thing? Ooh I detest snobby rich people.
I do too. I can't stand people who have money and feel the need to rub it other peoples faces or feel that they are above everyone else. I will admit though that I really thought that this family was not like this. BUT now that dck can talk and retell stories I have been proven wrong. Now I wonder what else has been said in the past that the kid was never able to retell to anyone......

funny that the kid sold her out and I hope that she feels bad. At least if she feels bad about it I will know she has some sense of morals and respect......
lovemykidstoo 04:43 PM 11-08-2013
dcm usually always picks up. in 3 years I think maybe 2 times dad has picked up. so I am just assuming that DCM is embarrassed because her kid sold her out...

my assts were teasing me all day today just making jokes.
That is so funny that she's got such egg on her face that she can't come to your house. She should be so ashamed. You could have a lot of fun with this!!!
Laurel 05:58 AM 11-09-2013
What a great idea! Tell them she is going to raise their rates because on her current salary she can't afford pie ingredients.

Laurel
Cradle2crayons 07:32 AM 11-09-2013
I absolutely agree. You need a DEFINATELY raise...since you are all skinny and stuff lol... Maybe hen you could afford pie??

Kids say some monster things but here's no way the kid made that up. I have a six year old in care and I can trust what he says. Even though his mom constantly lies to cover up.
BABYLUVER21 08:28 AM 11-09-2013
I would not be very happy with someone looking at me as if I were 'less than.' They signed up with you so obviously they know that your care isn't lacking.

That being said, they also probably don't respect what you do enough to realize you deserve better pay!

I had a pretty crappy-in-comparison home to many of the military 'snob' moms. They always signed up with me but decided that my house was too ugly and eventually left for a 'prettier' home. I kept it clean and safe so IDK what their problem was but it was really irritating. I felt like I was just the "in between' daycare until they found someone just like them.

Now I moved to a much nicer house, still not nice 'enough' for most people, and now I get calls some from the same parents who dismissed me before.

The problem? I don't do child care now
Blackcat31 07:53 AM 11-10-2013
Personally, I wouldn't waste a single second worrying about what someone else thought of me.

Their opinion of me is none of my business.

If they feel superior or in a higher pay class or just better than me over all, then good for them.

If that's what it takes for them to get through life, then I am pretty sure I know which one of us has the problem.

I wouldn't waste time stressing over something as silly as this.

If the daycare boy made a comment during the day such as the one in original post, I would have just said that we don't talk about others like that and left it at that.

If his mother is that shallow I highly doubt there is anything you can do to change her. You can control what is and isn't said in your house but that's about it.

Talking with mom, calling her out, embarrassing her etc are all things that may make you feel better for the moment but unless it actually changes her thought process, I see no point in stooping to her level.

Just my two cents.
Michael 03:01 PM 11-10-2013
I have strong feelings about this family. This is not only snobbish, it is negative and destructive to be teaching such bad behavior to a child.

I've read about children in Tijuana who's playground is the local dump, but this kids where happy. It was their state of mind to cherish. They didn't need someone to contaminate their happiness with comparisons of what they didn't have.

I also know people that are worth hundreds of millions that are snobs. Deep down they are really not happy. Even if they had a billion dollars they would still be the same negative "farce".

Happiness and a positive state of mind is priceless. A parent that teaches their child empathy and kindness is constructing a future positive "force". A parent that teaches their kids that material things make them better is so destructive to the maturity of their children. They will have a warped view of reality as they grow.

It's one thing to say to a child; "be appreciative for what you have" then to say "look how good we are and how bad they are".

I would have sat that parent down and let them know how they were hurting their child and the results of what they have taught them.
daycare 03:31 PM 11-10-2013
all joking aside, this is a very sad situation. Adults often don't realize the damage they do to their children by the negative things that they do or say in front of their children.

Kind of like when people make jokes about race, religion, and etc. It's really no different. It's not appropriate to talk about, especially in front of young forming minds that don't know any better.

While what I said to the mom may have been to make me feel better, it was my way of letting her know that her child is repeating what she is saying. I didn't need to say anymore or play games with it. If she is embarrassed about it, that is her problem. I have no intentions of trying to change her, but if everyone in her life just stands back and continues to be her doormat, perhaps she will never know the people she is hurting and the harm that she is doing to her children. My saying what I did could also have zero impact on her as well and that's ok too.

I am human and when people say negative things about me, it does upset me. Will I lose sleep over it, of course not, but it did bother me that this mother feels the need to put me down, especially in front of her kid. It really shows her child that she has no respect for me or for his friends that go to school here too.

Unfortunately, this type of attitude is one that I am all too familiar with having lived in an area where majority of the people think and act this way.
I am sure Michael can relate being that he lives close to where I just moved from.

All that I can do is make sure that this child knows that he can't say hurtful things to anyone, including me. I don't plan to bring this up again to this mother. Should she feel the need to bring it up, I will kindly shut it down.
Tags:bad parent, negative behaviors
Reply Up