Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Deposits and Subsidized Care
spedmommy4 05:10 PM 12-21-2015
For those of you who require a two week notice deposit: do you require parents who are receiving subsidies to provide a deposit? If so, do you require it upfront or allow them to pay it over a period of time?

For anyone who followed my recent drama over the mom who didn't like my assistant, she burned me on the two week notice and also is also refusing to sign her subsidy time sheet to ensure I won't get paid for the week and a half care I did provide for her two kids.

I'm taking this lady to small claims but I want to protect myself from this kind of loss in the future.
Thriftylady 05:24 PM 12-21-2015
It is my understanding that some states allow that and others don't. I would be notifying her worker that she is refusing to sign the sheet. Hopefully they are on of the states that will cut her off for such things. If your state allows it, I would do the deposit but maybe make a payment arrangement for it.
spedmommy4 05:28 PM 12-21-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
It is my understanding that some states allow that and others don't. I would be notifying her worker that she is refusing to sign the sheet. Hopefully they are on of the states that will cut her off for such things. If your state allows it, I would do the deposit but maybe make a payment arrangement for it.
I did. They are "trying" to get her to sign it. I may discontinue accepting subsidies altogether because of this.
LysesKids 05:32 PM 12-21-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
I did. They are "trying" to get her to sign it. I may discontinue accepting subsidies altogether because of this.
Parents refusing to sign is exactly why I don't take subsidy now... even having proof that they signed in & out daily didn't help me recover wages for one family, so nope never again
spedmommy4 06:02 PM 12-21-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Parents refusing to sign is exactly why I don't take subsidy now... even having proof that they signed in & out daily didn't help me recover wages for one family, so nope never again
In this case, the parent signed in and out on the subsidy time sheet every single day but is refusing to sign the bottom. It's ridiculous since she signs her full name on every line verifying the time in and time out but they still won't pay unless mom signs the bottom.
Thriftylady 06:15 PM 12-21-2015
I don't take it. But I know here in Ohio you have to have a card reader and they scan their card in and out every day. If the state was going to refuse to pay when a parent signed in and out every day, I would strongly consider not taking it anymore. Sounds to me like the state is looking for loopholes.
NillaWafers 06:32 PM 12-21-2015
One of my parents is subsidized, but she still pays me weekly and I pay her back once I receive the check. I realize not many subsidized parents can do this, but it definitely works out for me better than relying on the deposit once a month and charging her the adjustment.

It's a bummer your parent is being so terrible about this. I would start charging a two week deposit and add it onto tuition until it's paid.
LysesKids 03:16 AM 12-22-2015
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
One of my parents is subsidized, but she still pays me weekly and I pay her back once I receive the check. I realize not many subsidized parents can do this, but it definitely works out for me better than relying on the deposit once a month and charging her the adjustment.

It's a bummer your parent is being so terrible about this. I would start charging a two week deposit and add it onto tuition until it's paid.
See not all states allow you to get prepaid & pay parents back... some don't allow you to ask the difference in what you charge & what the state pays either. I had more bad experiences than good (in more than one state) that it jaded my outlook on vouchers
Blackcat31 06:38 AM 12-22-2015
I accept clients on state subsidy.
I also charge them a deposit equal to two weeks of care.
I allow them 30 days to have the deposit paid in full.

It covers their last two weeks of care and/or any co-payments they may owe after they submit their notice of withdrawal.

My state does not pay the rate I charge so parents are required to pay the difference. I bill all of that in advance so the only payment I "wait" on or get after I provide care is the portion the state pays.

My state is fantastic about payment to providers as they pay what I bill and anything not approved or over paid by the state is managed via the parent and has nothing to do with me. I can also "report" non-payment of co-pays and the state will suspend a family's assistance until they pay their provider.

I don't have to have parents sign anything (other than the sign in/out sheet) as all the billing and payments are done electronically.

@Spedmommy, maybe you can also contact your parent and let her know that for each day she refuses to sign, you are charging her a late fee and until she signs, the late fee will continue to add up until your small claims court date (?) I dont know how it works in your state but maybe that would help her understand she is only hurting herself.
Annalee 06:48 AM 12-22-2015
I am allowed to charge for overages, holidays, and everything the state doesn't pay to meet what I charge...BUT I AVOID subsidy clients as a rule ......it is a headache and I feel the subsidy offices DO NOT support what I do nor how I charge and relay that to the subsidy clients I have had in the past...A client of mine once went to the subsidy office and told the lady at the local subsidy office how I was charging her for my Christmas vacation and she had to pay but could not pay and the office lady called telling me I was unfair and rediculous...so I terminated the client as soon as she walked in the door that afternoon. I even explained to this office lady how I offered monthly payments to this client to be prepared for my closings but the client chose not to do so. Learned a valuable lesson then!
LysesKids 07:10 AM 12-22-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I am allowed to charge for overages, holidays, and everything the state doesn't pay to meet what I charge...BUT I AVOID subsidy clients as a rule ......it is a headache and I feel the subsidy offices DO NOT support what I do nor how I charge and relay that to the subsidy clients I have had in the past...A client of mine once went to the subsidy office and told the lady at the local subsidy office how I was charging her for my Christmas vacation and she had to pay but could not pay and the office lady called telling me I was unfair and rediculous...so I terminated the client as soon as she walked in the door that afternoon. I even explained to this office lady how I offered monthly payments to this client to be prepared for my closings but the client chose not to do so. Learned a valuable lesson then!
The families first clients up here assume DHS will pay everything; I've discovered most of them won't follow thru with picking me once they discover they have to pay the difference... no skin off my back, I'm full for the time with private pay
Annalee 07:20 AM 12-22-2015
The families first clients up here assume DHS will pay everything; I've discovered most of them won't follow thru with picking me once they discover they have to pay the difference... no skin off my back, I'm full for the time with private pay
I have had clients to comply, but this particular one was a doozy but the look on her face when she walked in that afternoon as if nothing had happened was priceless I stated as she walked in the door "you need to find other daycare immediately"....she started pleading her case but too late lady! I rarely even get calls for subsidy paid clients now and that is due to the state office not liking my policies! But who cares!
spedmommy4 07:43 AM 12-22-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I accept clients on state subsidy.
I also charge them a deposit equal to two weeks of care.
I allow them 30 days to have the deposit paid in full.

It covers their last two weeks of care and/or any co-payments they may owe after they submit their notice of withdrawal.

My state does not pay the rate I charge so parents are required to pay the difference. I bill all of that in advance so the only payment I "wait" on or get after I provide care is the portion the state pays.

My state is fantastic about payment to providers as they pay what I bill and anything not approved or over paid by the state is managed via the parent and has nothing to do with me. I can also "report" non-payment of co-pays and the state will suspend a family's assistance until they pay their provider.

I don't have to have parents sign anything (other than the sign in/out sheet) as all the billing and payments are done electronically.

@Spedmommy, maybe you can also contact your parent and let her know that for each day she refuses to sign, you are charging her a late fee and until she signs, the late fee will continue to add up until your small claims court date (?) I dont know how it works in your state but maybe that would help her understand she is only hurting herself.
This mom doesn't care. . She thinks that because she wasn't happy with the service the judge won't enforce the contract. She specifically said something like, "Well, I didn't sign that type of contract." I sent her copies of her contract and an invoice; she ignored them. I think this is going to be a painful lesson for her, when this is all over, as it is.

Our county subsidy office is supposed to:
Suspend childcare services and honor the current providers notice period if a parent does not complete there notice period. They did not.

They are also supposed to cut off subsidized services if a parent refuses to sign. That hasn't happened either so I have a call into the program coordinator.
Thriftylady 01:49 PM 12-22-2015
This mom doesn't care. . She thinks that because she wasn't happy with the service the judge won't enforce the contract. She specifically said something like, "Well, I didn't sign that type of contract." I sent her copies of her contract and an invoice; she ignored them. I think this is going to be a painful lesson for her, when this is all over, as it is.

Our county subsidy office is supposed to:
Suspend childcare services and honor the current providers notice period if a parent does not complete there notice period. They did not.

They are also supposed to cut off subsidized services if a parent refuses to sign. That hasn't happened either so I have a call into the program coordinator.
That is what irritates the heck out of me. We don't follow rules and we get hit hard. The state ignores there own rules? No biggie it seems.
spedmommy4 06:13 PM 12-22-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
That is what irritates the heck out of me. We don't follow rules and we get hit hard. The state ignores there own rules? No biggie it seems.
I know. I did speak to the caseworker today and she is working on getting the signature. She did tell me that she planned to get the manager to do an "override approval" to make sure I got paid for those six days, if the mom keeps ignoring her.

I also included the amount in the small claims case I filed today, just in case. Our court date is not until February 4th so the referral agency will have paid by then, if they are going to.
Thriftylady 06:34 PM 12-22-2015
I know. I did speak to the caseworker today and she is working on getting the signature. She did tell me that she planned to get the manager to do an "override approval" to make sure I got paid for those six days, if the mom keeps ignoring her.

I also included the amount in the small claims case I filed today, just in case. Our court date is not until February 4th so the referral agency will have paid by then, if they are going to.
I think if they pay it you could probably say so in court and lower your amount then. I could be wrong but I bet there is a way.
Tags:deposit, subsidies, two week notice
Reply Up