Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-11-2015, 09:49 AM
MommyMuffin's Avatar
MommyMuffin MommyMuffin is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 887
Default No 2 week notice

I'm in the licensing process. Should be done by end of October.

Since April I have been caring for a little boy 2 days a week for 4 hours...so total of 8 hours a week. Therefore the income from this is not much. We do not have a contract.

I have been interviewing for fulltime spots in the future. I have a family that would like fulltime care starting next week.

I do not want to do anything illegal. In my state I am only allowed to watch 1 family until licensed.

I would love to fill his spot with a fulltimer...seeing as I can only watch 1 family. I would like to give her a 2 week notice but the family who wants the spot needs care starting next week.

Strictly business speaking...I do not have a contract with the current child. I am leaning towards letting this family go and enrolling the new family. I was going to tell the mother that when I get my license I can watch her little boy again.

I feel bad not being able to give 2 weeks. I am in the south end of town and it can be difficult to fill spots.

What would you do?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-11-2015, 09:53 AM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Tell her you have a full time family interested in the slot and offer her the option to pay for full time with a contract, or you are giving notice today. Do this in writing and tell her you need an answer by X.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-11-2015, 09:54 AM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftylady View Post
Tell her you have a full time family interested in the slot and offer her the option to pay for full time with a contract, or you are giving notice today. Do this in writing and tell her you need an answer by X.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-11-2015, 11:40 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,219
Default

Yup, offer her the space, or a space on your waiting list when you become licensed.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-11-2015, 11:51 AM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is online now
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,183
Default

If you don't have a contract then you're not bound to giving a 2 week notice so I'd just give her as much time to decide as possible. I would offer her the full-time spot and tell her today that you need an answer by tomorrow morning. It's unlikely that they'll take you on for FT if they don't need it so just make sure to be firm in telling them that you need an answer by tomorrow no matter what. Get a contract ready tonight and any other paperwork that you'll be required to have once you're licensed so that you have all of this ready by the time you get licensed.

Have a termination notice ready for this family by tomorrow morning and if they don't want the FT spot or don't have an answer for you tomorrow morning then hand them the notice that says that their last day will be the Friday before the new family needs to start then contact the new family and have them come over asap to fill out paperwork, sign a contract and leave their deposit and payment for the first week. I'd reiterate to the new family how important it is for them to sign the contract and leave their deposit as soon as possible to guarantee them the space.

It's nice of you to offer to take your current family back once you get your license but I wouldn't count on it. They are being put in a position of having to find new childcare arrangements in a short amount of time and once they find something it's very unlikely that they'll feel like it's necessary to quit that new child care provider and come back to you.
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-11-2015, 11:58 AM
littletots's Avatar
littletots littletots is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: ohio
Posts: 373
Default

I agree. Offer slot, move on. I'm in kinda same situation in that I have pt dck, interviewing ft. I'm offering pt family a chance to move into ft or leave. Sorry. Just business.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charging on Holidays Interested Parents and Guardians Forum 320 06-27-2018 02:43 PM
DCM asked for payoff for withdrawal 1 week ago now wants to give notice a week later aDCProvider Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 33 09-08-2014 05:41 PM
2 Weeks Notice is actually 3?? tlc Parents and Guardians Forum 5 02-25-2011 12:36 PM
Payment When Provider Is Out Sick Unregistered Parents and Guardians Forum 18 02-16-2009 02:07 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:24 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming