Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What To Charge For Second Shift
SilverSabre25 09:52 PM 07-29-2011
Yeah, that.

I charge $30/day right now for 7 AM-6 PM. I am considering seeking some second shift kids (probably no more than 2) and am wondering how to charge them.

Dinner 6:30
Free play/movie 7-8
Bedtime-8

Hopefully, pick-ups no later than midnight or 12:30. I'm up that late anyhow, especially because DH is probably taking a second job and won't get home till then.

$30/day is on the high end for my area right now, but I don't think a lot of people are offering second shift care.
Solandia 04:12 AM 07-30-2011
I am new to this forum, but not to daycare...I have been a provider for over 9 years.

In my experience, second shift is a fickle beast. And it totally depends on your area for demand and pricing, and the education level of your potential clients. I am the only licensed provider that can offer second shift in an large area, with a population of over 50K in this multi city area. I have had 1 second shift client in ten years. My second shift is the same price as my daytime shift, and it is too expensive for potential second shifters here. It is not worth MY effort to provide care for less than $30/shift. our second shifters are factory workers, retail, and warehouse.

These folks IN GENERAL are completely unwilling to pay a decent amount to have someone "watch their child sleep". They also often have a spouse on an opposite shift, a friend that will watch the child as trade for mowing the lawn, or fixing their car, or a grandma or grandma type neighbor that will do it for a few dollars under the table to supplement their social security check.

If you are near a major hospital, you have a more professional client base who is willing to pay for quality care. Not willing to accept a teen texting all night and bringing friends over, but want a stable consistent environment for their child. These parnts also realize that they are paying for the services of a reliable, trustworthy provider, that won't flake, and can handle a potential emergency...and that it is much more than just a breathing person watching the child sleep.
Zoe 08:22 AM 07-30-2011
My second shift dcm is a nurse and didn't even blink when I told her I charged $25 a day. She told me that it seemed reasonable. For the record, that's what I charge for first shift, but I haven't had many bites on that and am considering lowering my daytime rates to get some people in the door. Lots of competition!

I think I'm the only one in town who's licensed and offers second shift so 25 dollars is reasonable. I think if 30 dollars is standard where you live, it isn't asking too much. I agree with PP in that you need to look at who would be needing second shift in your town and determine the price from there.
afmama 06:35 PM 07-30-2011
I charge $35 for 8 hours on a weekday. 2nd shift care is $40, and usually only for 7-8 hrs.
Auntie 04:39 PM 07-31-2011
maybe you may want to just charge 30 dollars the same amt as daytime. The responsibilty is still the same. Granted they won't need a snack, and there will be less of mess and noise however the pick up time is late and to have quality care that is consistant for their child at that hour speaks volumes to me as a parent. I would leave your rate the same.

If you find this really works well for you maybe you could just do 2nd shift care only and have your days with your own family. Imagine what you could get done before starting care for 2nd shift families. humm now that is an idea.
momofboys 06:09 PM 07-31-2011
Originally Posted by Auntie:
maybe you may want to just charge 30 dollars the same amt as daytime. The responsibilty is still the same. Granted they won't need a snack, and there will be less of mess and noise however the pick up time is late and to have quality care that is consistant for their child at that hour speaks volumes to me as a parent. I would leave your rate the same.

If you find this really works well for you maybe you could just do 2nd shift care only and have your days with your own family. Imagine what you could get done before starting care for 2nd shift families. humm now that is an idea.
This may work for some but when your kids are older (as in school-age) the late afternoons/evenings for us are reserved as family time. It just would not be the same if we had 2 or more other kids in our care during that time.
Auntie 06:28 PM 07-31-2011
Originally Posted by momofboys:
This may work for some but when your kids are older (as in school-age) the late afternoons/evenings for us are reserved as family time. It just would not be the same if we had 2 or more other kids in our care during that time.
That is a good point as well.
cheerfuldom 06:34 AM 08-01-2011
I think the big thing is to keep strict on the hours open and on bedtimes. I am assuming the usual will happen with second shift as with first, parents will want their kid awake at all hours at your house in order for them to sleep as much as possible at home.
Tags:charge, second shift
Reply Up