Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Not Let Throwing Food Away Bother You?
Country Kids 01:28 PM 08-15-2012
I've tried to not let it bother me but oh my gosh, I just can't get over how much food I throw away each and every day.

Today-cheese quesidillas, salad (cucumbers, tomatos, green pepper, carrots) and peaches.

1. ate quesidillas, peaches, drank 1/2 cup of milk

2. Same thing, drank no milk

3.Would take a nibble of a peach slice, put it back down, and do the same to each peach slice. Did not eat a whole slice at all and ate nothing else. Drank their milk.

So I'm throwing this all away now. Also, they drink nothing all day long. No water or milk. They don't even ask for it or take when offered. I get very tempted to go off the food program and just serve junk. Then I know at least they will be eating.

I have a friend who has a childcare. One of the kids cries everyday no matter what they are eating.
Countrygal 01:44 PM 08-15-2012
Can I eat at your house?? I LOVE cheese quesidillas!!!

I only serve about 1/4 portion, especially to those I know are tiny eaters. I have one. He gets 1/2 of what everyone else gets. Everyone is allowed seconds and even thirds if wanted. I have had wonderful eaters, though, except the one. I don't throw out much any more because of the small portions. For example, he will get 1/4 peanut butter sandwich, two peach slices and the regular amount of milk (he always drinks his milk), and one small carrot stick with dip. If he eats that (or at least his two bites of maybe one food left), then he can have more of anything. This same child has never eaten a lot of food, says dcm. Some days I've seen him take thirds, tho! I'd rather get up three times than throw food out, imo.
Country Kids 01:50 PM 08-15-2012
I've even cut out having morning snack and that hasn't even helped-

What I also don't get is my kids never ask for seconds, so when I read about providers that do that it amazes me ask I can't get mine to eat their first. Even when they eat they never want seconds.
e.j. 02:22 PM 08-15-2012
"How do you not let throwing food away bother you?"

You put a certain amount of food on the kids' plates. You are out that same amount of food whether the kids eat it or you throw out so really.... what difference does it make?

Thinking of it this way has really made all the difference in my frustration level. As others have suggested, place a small amount of food on the kids' plates. If they want more, it's easy enough to give them more. If they won't eat it, you don't waste much.
daycarediva 02:30 PM 08-15-2012
I am required to give them the correct portion sizes. Some days it really does bother me to see it go to waste. I spend a LOT on food. I have a very very picky eater and throw away entire meals quite often. Like pp said, I guess it doesn't really matter but I grew up poor and we cleaned our plates. kwim?

I just had a suprise inspection from the food program today and sure enough dcb ate nothing. He sat there the entire time. Today's meal was hm turkey meatballs, whole grain spaghetti, tossed salad. She said all I can do is offer it.
Country Kids 02:32 PM 08-15-2012
I guess what bothers me is having to have x amount available to the child. So even if I place a small amount on the plate I still have to have the x amount available in case they eat and want more. So if the child/ren don't even eat that small amount I end up throwing everything away.

I just wish we could make just the small amount and not worry about having to have more available (especially if we know they aren't eating it).
countrymom 02:34 PM 08-15-2012
were you at my house today because today

we had pasta with homade sauce and watermelon everyone got 2 large scoops of pasta (like a half a cup of alphabet pasta)

dcb (age 7) ate a 1/4 of it and no watermelon, so I gave him applesauce. He then comes and tells me that he's starving and wants more food. Sent him on his way and told him that he has to wait till snack time. At snack time I gave out saltine crackers (I would have had cheese but didn't have any) but all the kids love these crackers like crazy. This is at 230pm, at 330pm same boy comes in and says that he's hungry can he have an apple, so I said to him that we already had snack and that he's going to go home and have a good dinner. He tells me that he only ate 2 crackers and now wants an apple.

Seriously, I'm not an open kitchen, yes there are apples on the counter but they are kinda of yucky and there wasn't enough to feed everyone so I couldn't give it to one kid and not the others. Mom always says how well her boys eat, bull cr@p!! Ya they eat well when its junk food, I'm so tired of throwing food out from them its ridiculous! and no i can't ask people to bring their own food because he never ate his lunch at school either. I'm barely putting food on their plates and they are still not eating it. Dh says that its too bad, they can starve then because I don't get paid enough to make what every child wants to eat. Oh, the other day, we had sliced carrots, 2 of the kids didn't know what they were, they have never seen carrots sliced up before ?????

oh, I'm going to make quasadias tommorrow or tacos
e.j. 02:57 PM 08-15-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
So even if I place a small amount on the plate I still have to have the x amount available in case they eat and want more. So if the child/ren don't even eat that small amount I end up throwing everything away.

I just wish we could make just the small amount and not worry about having to have more available (especially if we know they aren't eating it).
I hear what you're saying. It is a little crazy to expect food to be cooked and ready for kids who we know won't eat it but I guess that's the trade off for getting all that money from the food program. (Being a little sarcastic. I'm on tier 2 so the reimbursement isn't all that great considering what I spend on food but it helps defray the cost a little.)

When I have leftovers from lunch, I serve it to my family for dinner that night and vice versa. (The day care kids sometimes get leftovers from our dinner the night before. I just divide what I make and save the untouched food for the next day.)
daycarediva 02:59 PM 08-15-2012
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I hear what you're saying. It is a little crazy to expect food to be cooked and ready for kids who we know won't eat it but I guess that's the trade off for getting all that money from the food program. (Being a little sarcastic. I'm on tier 2 so the reimbursement isn't all that great considering what I spend on food but it helps defray the cost a little.)

When I have leftovers from lunch, I serve it to my family for dinner that night and vice versa. (The day care kids sometimes get leftovers from our dinner the night before. I just divide what I make and save the untouched food for the next day.)
That's a great idea. Or save the leftovers from Mon,Tue & Wed for a Wednesday 'warm up leftovers' dinner or something.
Country Kids 03:04 PM 08-15-2012
We can't serve leftovers unless they are taken out and put in containers before serving. Well I never know how much my family is going to eat so that doesn't work for me.

I'm hoping that the food inspectors will realize that these kids aren't eating and maybe try to get the rules changed. Its utterly ridiculous!

At school, the amount of food that is thrown away is beyond me.
Blackcat31 03:11 PM 08-15-2012
Today we had spinach salad, HM pizza with whole wheat crust and feta cheese, steamed carrots and bananas.

Honestly, I have fantastic kids....they all eat everything on their plates and ask for seconds. I have kids who ask for thirds and rarely have enough to get that far. I don't make enough for thirds because I really don't think it is necessary. Seconds are simply a bonus but not something I do on purpose.

For me, the secret to having good eaters is to serve, model good eating myself and never ever ask if someone does or doesn't like something.

As a matter if fact, I don't allow anyone to say anything negative about the meal. If they don't like something, they keep it to themselves.

I make NO ISSUES whatsoever about what or how much a kid eats. I do, however, make a ginormous deal about the kids who do eat! We have tons of positive praise and sometimes even special treats. The treats though are random and NEVER predictable because I don't want a child to eat just to earn the reward.....bad habit to start.

I have yet to come across a veggie or meal my kids won't eat. A majority of the parents tell me their children would never eat what I make at home and I suppose they are completely truthful about that as I really am a firm believer in the whole "monkey see-monkey do" concept. When a child sees their friend eating something, they will usually do it too.

Peer pressure is a valuable thing at this age.

I truly feel for those of you have eating issues with your daycare kids. I am NOT by any means a lucky person but I have to say I think I hit the jackpot with eating and daycare kids.
e.j. 03:17 PM 08-15-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I am required to give them the correct portion sizes. Some days it really does bother me to see it go to waste. I spend a LOT on food. I have a very very picky eater and throw away entire meals quite often. Like pp said, I guess it doesn't really matter but I grew up poor and we cleaned our plates. kwim?
I'm always amazed at how differently the food program rules seem to be interpreted from program to program and from food rep to food rep. This makes me crazier way more than the wasted food does!

Here, we just to have the proper amount of food available for each child which, of course, helps to cut down on waste and to me is just common sense. I try to follow the rules as closely as possible but if I were in your position, I'd be very tempted to disregard the rule about correct portion size unless 1.) they agreed to pay the actual cost of the food and not a portion of it and 2.) they were actually in my home observing. (Probably should say that on a public forum but honestly, it's how I'd feel.)
Crazy8 03:33 PM 08-15-2012
easy.... I don't supply the food - meals come from home. Sorry, I understand your frustration but unfortunately don't know the answer.

I am not on the food program, don't provide bfast or lunch but still get the tax write off of $2.07 per child/per day for using the standard meal rate for 3 snacks per day. No headaches, no time cooking and none of MY food thrown away.
e.j. 03:38 PM 08-15-2012
We can't serve leftovers unless they are taken out and put in containers before serving. Well I never know how much my family is going to eat so that doesn't work for me.
I just guess at how much my family is likely to eat. If they want more, I just take a little more from day care container using a clean serving spoon and put the container in the fridge immediately for the next day. That way, it's not like it's just sitting on the table gathering bacteria, kwim?[/quote]

I'm hoping that the food inspectors will realize that these kids aren't eating and maybe try to get the rules changed. Its utterly ridiculous!

At school, the amount of food that is thrown away is beyond me.
Wouldn't it be great if our government sponsored programs were run with just a little more common sense?

I remember even as a kid being amazed at the amount of food being thrown out every day. I went to a relatively small school and at every lunch, there were 2-3 large garbage pails filled to the brim with wasted food. We could have fed a small country on all the food that was wasted but you had to take what you were served instead of what you wanted.
momma2girls 04:49 PM 08-15-2012
I know I can make leftovers from the night before. If I make spaghetti, soup, lasagna, beef roast, chicken, hamburgers, hot dogs, macaroni and cheese, grilled items, anything that I make that has a large amt. to it, I use it for leftovers. I use it 1-2 days for that week at daycare. This works out very well for my small group!!
Angelsj 06:03 PM 08-15-2012
Actually, these issues are much of why I am not on the food program. I believe nutrition comes from a daily, or sometimes weekly intake, not necessarily each meal.

The food program also wants you to serve way too many carb sources. I typically do not serve any carbs at lunch, but often snack will have some.
Lunch today was grapes, oranges, meatballs with milk. They had animal crackers and apple juice for snack.
I do give free range to apples and bananas; a kid can ask anytime for those, and can have them.
Overall, these are healthy food choices, but the food program would want a carb source at lunch, and if I choose to give them yogurt, chicken, broccoli, and apple juice at lunch, they disapprove, even though the same nutrients exist.
Too much hassle!
spud912 06:15 PM 08-15-2012
Originally Posted by e.j.:
"How do you not let throwing food away bother you?"

You put a certain amount of food on the kids' plates. You are out that same amount of food whether the kids eat it or you throw out so really.... what difference does it make?

Thinking of it this way has really made all the difference in my frustration level. As others have suggested, place a small amount of food on the kids' plates. If they want more, it's easy enough to give them more. If they won't eat it, you don't waste much.
This is how I think of it too. The only frustration I have is when they whine or gag when I have them try one bite of food. The dramatics are annoying, but I can say that for any time during the day when they become overly dramatic.
MizzCheryl 06:24 PM 08-15-2012
I started composting. Then I just looked at the thrown out food and good compost for my garden.
I am getting lots of great black compost and a happy garden!
Country Kids 06:25 PM 08-15-2012
I have one that crys when he see's cucumbers! Gets the biggest lip sticking out.

The same one doesn't like most fruit/vegetables.

I had another one that also didn't like fruit or vegetables. The child couldn't even eat corn on the cob! Did know how-.

I'm thinking of making a menu for the month but not sure how to do one on the computer.
countrymom 07:10 PM 08-15-2012
i think the reason kids eat like poop is because they have been trained to eat like this and thats all their bodies know. My dd went to watch some of my dck's and I was asking her today if they had any fruit or veggies and she's says no, because she was going to give them some fruit for snack. These are the same ones who didn't know what a sliced carrot was. I get that not all kids like certain fruit or veggies but usually there is something that they like, but I have alot that don't like anything.

also, silver mentioned eating with the kids and modeling healthy eating, well in my house that isn't working. I eat with the kids, no one ever says anything negative about the food (even my own kids know better) but still they don't like to eat. Tommorrow is taco's (my ds doesn't like them but I make him eat one because I'm mean) my own kids are really good eaters, today I had to buy more fruit because they ate most of it in 2 days.
Country Kids 09:04 PM 08-15-2012
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Actually, these issues are much of why I am not on the food program. I believe nutrition comes from a daily, or sometimes weekly intake, not necessarily each meal.

The food program also wants you to serve way too many carb sources. I typically do not serve any carbs at lunch, but often snack will have some.
Lunch today was grapes, oranges, meatballs with milk. They had animal crackers and apple juice for snack.
I do give free range to apples and bananas; a kid can ask anytime for those, and can have them.
Overall, these are healthy food choices, but the food program would want a carb source at lunch, and if I choose to give them yogurt, chicken, broccoli, and apple juice at lunch, they disapprove, even though the same nutrients exist.
Too much hassle!

See thats where the food programs differ so much. We only have one carb component for lunch,one meat/meat altenative/two fruits or vegies or one of each.

Same with snack-one meat/meat alternative or one carb or one fruit/veggie. We just have to make sure we serve two things from the above choice.
cheerfuldom 05:42 AM 08-16-2012
Originally Posted by Clueless:
I started composting. Then I just looked at the thrown out food and good compost for my garden.
I was going to suggest composting too.
Heidi 06:29 AM 08-16-2012
I guess what bothers me is having to have x amount available to the child. So even if I place a small amount on the plate I still have to have the x amount available in case they eat and want more. So if the child/ren don't even eat that small amount I end up throwing everything away.

But if they don't eat it, you can freeze the leftovers...

If you are making ham sandwiches, then make what you think they will eat, and have bread and ham AVAILABLE to make more. You do not have to MAKE all the sandwiches up front. IF a miracle happens and they eat everything, then throw together another sandwich. Same with apple slices and anything else.

If it's a "hot dish", then put the rest in the freezer for next time. SInce my group is smaller, I don't need a whole box of pasta, for instance. But, I make the whole box and enough meat-sauce for a whole other meal.

I have NEVER had a food program person ask me if I made enough according to the USDA serving sizes. They have been here for meals, and they see there is always a little food left over, but honestly, I have never, ever measured out one USDA serving per kid and then made that much. I make it according to what I think they will eat, and according to what the package size is, if applicable. Not once has any child ever gotten less than the recommended serving and walked away saying "I'm still hungry". I just know my kids.

Of course, one little boy could get 3x the recommended amount and still claim to be hungry...lol
JenNJ 06:33 AM 08-16-2012

I prepare and cook the small amount. If the children are hungry, I cook/prepare more. That way, I have it AVAILABLE, but it is not wasted if they are not hungry that day.
DaycareMomma 07:34 AM 08-16-2012
I am the type of person that will cook enough to feed an army even though I only have a small group. But I am very savy in that I only serve what each kid will eat and if they want more, then I give them more, but then I freeze what is left over for another meal. Usually I will make a big meal for daycare and have the leftovers for supper the next night with my family.
Blackcat31 08:05 AM 08-16-2012
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
See thats where the food programs differ so much. We only have one carb component for lunch,one meat/meat altenative/two fruits or vegies or one of each.

Same with snack-one meat/meat alternative or one carb or one fruit/veggie. We just have to make sure we serve two things from the above choice.
What are you referring to when you say carbs? Are you talking about grains? Which are absolutely necessary for healthy digestion, energy and overall health or are you talking about carbs as in carbohydrates?

ALL fruit and veggies have carbs in them. The lunch with grapes, oranges, meatballs with milk has so many carbs in it that as a diabetic, my DH would have had to taken a rather large insulin shot to counteract all the carbs.

The meatballs and milk would have been a much healthier meal if it had included veggies instead of fruit which is loaded with sugar carbs. The carbs from fruit are much better than sugar carbs from candy and junk food but no where near as beneficial as the carbs you get from whole grains.

The snack with apple juice and animal crackers IMPO, has very little nutrients but ALOT of carbs, unless the animal crackers were whole grain and the apple juice was an actual apple instead so I guess I am just confused as to the carb comments.

Whole grains are vital to digestion and processing of other foods, protiens and other nutrients in our bodies. Skipping those grains is not healthy.
Blackcat31 08:09 AM 08-16-2012
one medium apple has 17 grams of carbs
8 oz of apple juice has 29 grams of carbs
one slice of whole grain wheat bread has 14 grams of carbs

Whole grains is a much healthier and better choice either way.
Country Kids 08:16 AM 08-16-2012
See Blackcat, I think thats where ALL the confusion comes in. When I think of carbs I'm thinking of the actual bread, pasta, cracker, etc. type of carb. I wouldn't even think of fruit/veggies having carbs let alone being bad for me.

So here's what I don't get. When you on a weight lose program they push the fruit/veggies, so why would they do that if they aren't as good for you? Maybe thats why I put all that weight on when I was trying to lose as I ate ton's of fruit/veggies.
Blackcat31 08:27 AM 08-16-2012
See Blackcat, I think thats where ALL the confusion comes in. When I think of carbs I'm thinking of the actual bread, pasta, cracker, etc. type of carb. I wouldn't even think of fruit/veggies having carbs let alone being bad for me.

So here's what I don't get. When you on a weight lose program they push the fruit/veggies, so why would they do that if they aren't as good for you? Maybe thats why I put all that weight on when I was trying to lose as I ate ton's of fruit/veggies.
I am not a dietician so don't quote me but I think they push the fruits and veggies because they are healthy.....healthier than junk food anyways, but I think it is probably because most people don't eat enough fruit and veggie servings in a day and eat way more bad carbs than good carbs.

Fruit and veggies are good carbs but so are grains. There are complex and simple carbs and your body needs the complex carbs. They take longer in your body to digest than simple carbs and that helps keep your bloodsugar even and make you feel fuller longer. Simple carbs give your bloodsugar a spike but then a crash so you are hungry and not hungry and hungry and etc etc....a continually moving roller coaster.

I think dieting in general is bad. If you cut out all carbs you ARE going to lose weight but you will need to eat that way forever or you will gain it all back. Diets should be a no-no. Changing your eating habits should be what everyone does.

Don't diet...make a life style change and live that way. If everyone ate like a diabetic eats, we would all be healthy and fit.
cindys 08:52 AM 08-16-2012
Girls,
stop paying attention, It will drive you crazy. You will start to resent the children. If you are recieving subsidies, you didn't pay for the food anyway. For the parents that are concerned about their childs eating habits. Very tactfully explain that you do not force children to eat. It is against all regulations to force or withhold food. There is simply no seconds until the plate is clean. Sometimes (probably every time) they are going to go home hungry. You will have parents who ask you to supplement their childs meal with say hot dogs because it is all they will eat. Very tactfully explain, This is a child care home not a restaurant. you do not have the time or income to prepare individual meals. It also is not fair to the other children in your care. If that parent brings food from home (and they will) explain that it must be enough for all the children. It must meet nutrional guidelines or they can not have it. It took me over twenty years to follow my own advice. However, it only takes one nuerotic parent to send me down crazy lane again. So just accept it and move on. I promise the sun will shine tomorrow. You will have the occasional parent that will not accept these rules and will leave. I feel sorry for them. You are a good and competant provider, and you deserve respect. Apoligize for not being able to meet their needs, and wish them luck in finding a provider they will be more comfortable with.
crazydaycarelady 09:05 AM 08-16-2012
I use insulated cups so if they don't finish their milk they get it back again at the next meal/snack. I do make them finish their milk before they day is over.

As far as food I don't mix the menu up too much. It seems like the more effort I put into a meal the less likely they are to eat it. We have the same few things over and over but that is because it is things I know they will eat. I hate offering food, they don't eat it, then complain that they are hungry. I'd rather serve the same few things over and over so at least they don't go home hungry.
MyAngels 09:13 AM 08-16-2012
I get very tempted to go off the food program and just serve junk.
There are plenty of choices that are acceptable on the food program that are junk - things like poptarts and such - so you could conceivably still be on the program and serve mostly junk. I'm just sayin'...
Heidi 11:15 AM 08-16-2012

Bad carbs basically=anything "white". White flour (even enriched), white pasta, white rice, white sugar. Those should be eaten in moderation, and by moderation it means really quite little.

Good carbs are whole grains (and "whole grain white doesn't count), low-sugar cereals, whole wheat bread (or other whole grains).

When they say "lots of fruits and vegies", technically it should be LOTS of vegies and SOME fruits, and fruit juice only occasionally.
e.j. 11:17 AM 08-16-2012
Originally Posted by spud912:
This is how I think of it too. The only frustration I have is when they whine or gag when I have them try one bite of food. The dramatics are annoying, but I can say that for any time during the day when they become overly dramatic.
I encourage the kids to try foods but I don't ask them to take one bite of everything. To me, my job is to provide the food; their job is to eat it - or not. If they start to whine, I tell them. "Eat what you like; don't eat what you don't like." It quiets them down in a hurry. Once they realize eating or not eating is their choice to make, the need for drama is gone. They don't get upset and neither do I. They learn pretty fast that they don't have to eat but that I also won't give them substitutions. I saw a sign on Pinterest once that said, "Today's Menu: Eat it or starve". It's pretty much become my philosophy when feeding kids.
Country Kids 12:57 PM 08-16-2012
Todays menu: cheese stick, 1/2 mini blueberry bagel,1/2 banana, 1/2 corn on the cob.

1-ate everything but the corn-stuck the lip out
drank milk

2-ate everything but part of the banana
drank milk

3-ate 1/2 bagel and banana
no corn or cheese stick
drank no milk

4-nibbled on everything but didn't really eat
drank only a little milk

So I'm not giving up by I can't put my heart and soul into the making of great food if they aren't going to even eat this typ of meal.

I know that I get reimbursed or however you want to put it but it just saddens me that these kids won't eat wholesome great food.
Heidi 01:06 PM 08-16-2012
Todays menu: cheese stick, 1/2 mini blueberry bagel,1/2 banana, 1/2 corn on the cob.

1-ate everything but the corn-stuck the lip out
drank milk

2-ate everything but part of the banana
drank milk

3-ate 1/2 bagel and banana
no corn or cheese stick
drank no milk

4-nibbled on everything but didn't really eat
drank only a little milk

So I'm not giving up by I can't put my heart and soul into the making of great food if they aren't going to even eat this typ of meal.

I know that I get reimbursed or however you want to put it but it just saddens me that these kids won't eat wholesome great food.
HEY! Just as an experiment, serve the following for PM snack:

cheese stick, 1/2 mini blueberry bagel,1/2 banana, 1/2 corn on the cob, milk.

See what happens. If anyone asks, just say "well, we had so much left over from lunch, I thought we'd eat it for snack!" Big smile!

report back on that....
Heidi 01:07 PM 08-16-2012
Originally Posted by cindys:
Girls,
stop paying attention, It will drive you crazy. You will start to resent the children. If you are recieving subsidies, you didn't pay for the food anyway. For the parents that are concerned about their childs eating habits. Very tactfully explain that you do not force children to eat. It is against all regulations to force or withhold food. There is simply no seconds until the plate is clean. Sometimes (probably every time) they are going to go home hungry. You will have parents who ask you to supplement their childs meal with say hot dogs because it is all they will eat. Very tactfully explain, This is a child care home not a restaurant. you do not have the time or income to prepare individual meals. It also is not fair to the other children in your care. If that parent brings food from home (and they will) explain that it must be enough for all the children. It must meet nutrional guidelines or they can not have it. It took me over twenty years to follow my own advice. However, it only takes one nuerotic parent to send me down crazy lane again. So just accept it and move on. I promise the sun will shine tomorrow. You will have the occasional parent that will not accept these rules and will leave. I feel sorry for them. You are a good and competant provider, and you deserve respect. Apoligize for not being able to meet their needs, and wish them luck in finding a provider they will be more comfortable with.
Lol...love the crazy lane comment!
Country Kids 01:11 PM 08-16-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
HEY! Just as an experiment, serve the following for PM snack:

cheese stick, 1/2 mini blueberry bagel,1/2 banana, 1/2 corn on the cob, milk.

See what happens. If anyone asks, just say "well, we had so much left over from lunch, I thought we'd eat it for snack!" Big smile!

report back on that....
The two of the ones that didn't eat much will be gone by afternoon snack. That only leaves the one that ate everything and the other one. No sense punishing the one that ate so well.
Heidi 01:13 PM 08-16-2012
The two of the ones that didn't eat much will be gone by afternoon snack. That only leaves the one that ate everything and the other one. No sense punishing the one that ate so well.
IT'S NOT A PUNISHMENT!!!!!!!! sorry to yell...lol...but YOU ARE GIVING THEM NUTRITIOUS, DELICIOUS FOOD. THAT IS NOT A PUNISHMENT! IT IS A GIFT!

Angelsj 02:16 PM 08-16-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
What are you referring to when you say carbs? Are you talking about grains? Which are absolutely necessary for healthy digestion, energy and overall health or are you talking about carbs as in carbohydrates?

ALL fruit and veggies have carbs in them. The lunch with grapes, oranges, meatballs with milk has so many carbs in it that as a diabetic, my DH would have had to taken a rather large insulin shot to counteract all the carbs.

The meatballs and milk would have been a much healthier meal if it had included veggies instead of fruit which is loaded with sugar carbs. The carbs from fruit are much better than sugar carbs from candy and junk food but no where near as beneficial as the carbs you get from whole grains.

The snack with apple juice and animal crackers IMPO, has very little nutrients but ALOT of carbs, unless the animal crackers were whole grain and the apple juice was an actual apple instead so I guess I am just confused as to the carb comments.

Whole grains are vital to digestion and processing of other foods, protiens and other nutrients in our bodies. Skipping those grains is not healthy.
I understand what carbs are, but in this case I was referring to the constant intake of grains. This country in general has a ridiculous obsession with grains, whole or otherwise. We do eat healthy whole grains, but limited on the white bread/spaghetti type stuff.

The food programs are totally ok with you serving spaghetti, sauce and garlic bread with a single fruit, such as grapes. Too many grains, (healthy or otherwise, and I am not sure I agree "whole grain'" equates "healthy")

What I gave was just an example of variety the food program would not be pleased with, when it actually does fine, in an overall healthy diet. Kids who eat here regularly get sick much less than kids who eat mostly the school provided meals (also run by USDA recommendations.)
If they are eating lots of good healthy veggies, fruits and basic meats, a little grain source (animal crackers) isn't going to do any harm.
Many of my kiddos also refuse liquid milk altogether, but will eat cheese, yogurt, etc. To me it makes more sense to give them a dairy source they will eat, and not toss milk down the drain.
SunshineMama 07:25 AM 08-17-2012
I've tried to not let it bother me but oh my gosh, I just can't get over how much food I throw away each and every day.

Today-cheese quesidillas, salad (cucumbers, tomatos, green pepper, carrots) and peaches.

1. ate quesidillas, peaches, drank 1/2 cup of milk

2. Same thing, drank no milk

3.Would take a nibble of a peach slice, put it back down, and do the same to each peach slice. Did not eat a whole slice at all and ate nothing else. Drank their milk.

So I'm throwing this all away now. Also, they drink nothing all day long. No water or milk. They don't even ask for it or take when offered. I get very tempted to go off the food program and just serve junk. Then I know at least they will be eating.

I have a friend who has a childcare. One of the kids cries everyday no matter what they are eating.
I have started serving veggies first, very slowly. Then when they are done with those I give them the next food, and the next. I was so sick of wasting food that I serve it one at a time. It has helped a lot! And they eat healthier.
Country Kids 07:27 AM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
I have started serving veggies first, very slowly. Then when they are done with those I give them the next food, and the next. I was so sick of wasting food that I serve it one at a time. It has helped a lot! And they eat healthier.
You know I used to do that and I think its time I go back to it. Thanks for the reminder.

Do you ever get a child though that won't eat the veggies?
SunshineMama 07:35 AM 08-17-2012
You know I used to do that and I think its time I go back to it. Thanks for the reminder.

Do you ever get a child though that won't eat the veggies?
Sometimes I will get a child who won't eat veggies, and I enlist the 2 bite rule. Most of the kids just eat the veggies and move on, but the 2 bite rule works for the non-veggie eaters. I have not had a child not take the 2 bites yet, but I'm sure someone has come across that.

I also make a BIG deal about eating veggies. We all show our muscles and talk about how veggies make you fast and strong. When a toddler doesnt want their veggies I do reverse psychology and say, "Good. Don't eat them because veggies make you fast and strong and I don't want you to be faster than me! I want to be the fastest." They usually ask for extra to eat after that lol.
My3cents 11:13 AM 08-21-2012
have not read the other responses so I am probably going to be a repeat.

Cut down on what you give them.

You have to have certain amounts of food available to them, and offer but if they refuse it you don't have to give it to them.

I don't have this problem. I have good eaters. I serve a variety of foods and I never force a child to eat. All my kids go for 2nds and eat veggies and fruits, not junk.

My parents are amazed at what the kids eat here.

Best-
My3cents 11:49 AM 08-21-2012
Originally Posted by cindys:
Girls,
Subsidies don't cover the amount of food that I buy. They don't try to cover your total food expenses. It is to help you, and make you accountable for good nutrition, or better nutrition then a provider that serves junk. I wish the food program offered more information on nutrition and recipes then being more of a police on making sure your not cheating the program. For me, my food program does a pretty good job but I have heard stories here and everywhere of not so good food programs.

having set meals and not offering other choices all through your day is best. Kids will easy pick up on I didn't eat my carrots but I know she will give me apple sauce. If a child is hungry enough the child will eat. I also feels kids will eat if they see other kids and yourself eating healthy foods. You will know when a child truly does not like an item, verses doesn't like trying an item. I don't force, but I don't keep an open restaurant going either. I have a hubby who will eat left overs for his lunch, or snack so food waste is not a problem for me.

When I was in school, I was one of those wasters because the food was horrible. I had parents that were serving good healthy food at home and at school it was processed junk. Never liked milk and would gag on it, and they would make you go back to your seat and drink it or feel bad for wasting it. Juice was not an alternative or water, or putting your full milk carton back. I still hate milk to drink. I was not being a difficult kid. The clean plate club was also a big deal as a kid, they don't recommend this method anymore, because it causes obese children. It is my job to serve it and it is the child's job to decide if they want to eat it or not, even if they chose to eat nothing at all.

I was the baby that threw up her bottle and now I know why. Lactose intolerant. I love ice cream but it doesn't like me. Sometimes I suffer and sometimes I just know better then to do it. Milk plain- no way, makes me gag. Amazing what they know now that they did not know years ago.

I am enjoying this thread-
Papa 06:27 PM 02-01-2016
I think we all have "those little or non eaters". I am also on tier 2 and getting a quarter of the money that other providers on the food program get......my biggest complaint.
What makes me feel somewhat better is I collect food that the kids don't eat on their plates and put it in a dog bowl outside for all the critters to eat. We get deer, fox,squirrels, raccoons, feral cats and others. I feel good that at least something will have a nice full tummy.
Any bigger amount not served up I will eat for dinner or lunch the next day.
laundrymom 03:51 AM 02-02-2016
Yes. Yes. Yes.
This response right here.
I offer. I allow time. I dole out seconds to those who want. However, I do not allow seconds until firsts are finished. And I serve in a manner,( all foods fresh prepared and in covered individual containers)to limit contamination.
I serve. I do not do family style. I realize that it's not popular but it's how I keep things sanitary. My own family can safely eat from the daycare leftovers without worrying about germs.
I have one child who is probably hungry at pickup every single day. They have every opportunity to eat. They CHOOSE not to. They make the choice to wait for McDonald's or Burger King on the way home. The parent chooses to play their food game. I do not.

[quote=cindys;254912
There is simply no seconds until the plate is clean. Sometimes (probably every time) they are going to go home hungry. You will have parents who ask you to supplement their childs meal with say hot dogs because it is all they will eat. Very tactfully explain, This is a child care home not a restaurant. [/QUOTE]
Thriftylady 05:50 AM 02-02-2016
It drives me nuts also. Some say it doesn't make a difference if they eat it or I throw it out, but I just can't see it that way myself. I have started not allowing seconds until they eat their other stuff. I just lost a family of three because they didn't like the food but oh well. I guess as much as trashing it bothers me, knowing I serve REAL food makes me feel some better. It is just that kids are not used to eating REAL food.
Second Home 07:18 AM 02-02-2016
I will serve seconds once the first serving is eaten .

I don't worry about throwing food away anymore because I give all leftovers to my chickens . At least my chickens love to see me coming out with their tray of daycare leftovers .
Thriftylady 08:44 AM 02-02-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am not a dietician so don't quote me but I think they push the fruits and veggies because they are healthy.....healthier than junk food anyways, but I think it is probably because most people don't eat enough fruit and veggie servings in a day and eat way more bad carbs than good carbs.

Fruit and veggies are good carbs but so are grains. There are complex and simple carbs and your body needs the complex carbs. They take longer in your body to digest than simple carbs and that helps keep your bloodsugar even and make you feel fuller longer. Simple carbs give your bloodsugar a spike but then a crash so you are hungry and not hungry and hungry and etc etc....a continually moving roller coaster.

I think dieting in general is bad. If you cut out all carbs you ARE going to lose weight but you will need to eat that way forever or you will gain it all back. Diets should be a no-no. Changing your eating habits should be what everyone does.

Don't diet...make a life style change and live that way. If everyone ate like a diabetic eats, we would all be healthy and fit.
This!

And take an apple VS. the apple juice. The actual apple has fiber in it. so your body doesn't turn it straight to sugar you body has to produce less insulin to digest it. Apple juice does not have the fiber, you are just as well off drinking a coke.
childcaremom 08:47 AM 02-02-2016
Originally Posted by Second Home:
I will serve seconds once the first serving is eaten .

I don't worry about throwing food away anymore because I give all leftovers to my chickens . At least my chickens love to see me coming out with their tray of daycare leftovers .

Except I don't have chickens .... it goes to my compost pile for my garden.
Play Care 10:00 AM 02-02-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Yes. Yes. Yes.
This response right here.
I offer. I allow time. I dole out seconds to those who want. However, I do not allow seconds until firsts are finished. And I serve in a manner,( all foods fresh prepared and in covered individual containers)to limit contamination.
I serve. I do not do family style. I realize that it's not popular but it's how I keep things sanitary. My own family can safely eat from the daycare leftovers without worrying about germs.
I have one child who is probably hungry at pickups every single day. They have every opportunity to eat. They CHOOSE not to. They make the choice to wait for McDonald's or Burger King on the way home. The parent chooses to play their food game. I do not.
I know this is an old thread, but I do as you do. Leftovers are then reheated for my family later on.
I plate the food for the day care and they can eat or not. Everyone has the opportunity to eat as much, or as little, as they want.
Unregistered 01:21 PM 02-02-2016

Leftovers? Snack?
Lorna 06:12 AM 02-03-2016
I think of it this way now. The parents paid for the food and the garbage disposal.
Ariana 07:15 AM 02-03-2016
I base a lot of my menu on what we eat as a family so I don't waste too much food. We eat healthy and I only serve what I think the kids will eat and then offer seconds. I have one child who will not eat vegetables. Apparently at home they eat really healthy but child won't eat veggies at home either. Mom makes her smoothies with veggies in it and they fill her up with Goldfish. For this child I always give her the bare minimum of veggies so it doesn't go to waste. This way it's there as an option but since she never eats it I am not throwing a pile of veggies in the garbage.
DaveA 09:18 AM 02-03-2016
It doesn't bother me. To me food is a consumable daycare supply. For me a kid not eating most of the food on the plate is the same as them drawing 1 line on a piece of paper and calling it "Done".
Unregistered 10:35 AM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
It doesn't bother me. To me food is a consumable daycare supply. For me a kid not eating most of the food on the plate is the same as them drawing 1 line on a piece of paper and calling it "Done".
Great analogy
Mom2Two 01:38 PM 02-05-2016
Woops
Mom2Two 01:38 PM 02-05-2016
Originally Posted by MizzCheryl:
Yes! We have several composts and also chickens. One of our composts is a "clean" compost that has leaves and clean stuff in it, then we throw the good leftover food into it for the chickens to jump in and eat. It doesn't feel like waste then.
renodeb 09:34 AM 02-09-2016
That's funny, cheese quesadillas is a fav here. When I worked at kinderkare we through a lot of food away. It was shocking how much was tossed. I have been lucky and had minimal waste. Through the years I have learned how much of each thing to make. It does bother me but sadly it goes with the territory.
Deb
lovemykidstoo 11:09 AM 02-09-2016
Funny I should see this today because i continue to bang my head over one dcb. He has driven me nuts for a long time with his lack of eating. He's almost 5 and literally eats nothing. He's so tiny. Today I made baked chicken, oven roasted potatoes (fries) home made, mixed veges and milk. He stared at the plate. Asked him to take 1 bite of his potatoes and he started to cry. The problem is, I've tried to put very little on his plate, ignored the situation etc and nothig has changed. He does the same at home, so they give him a "snack" or lunchable or something similar. Mom has asked what I thought and I told her to get rid of the snacks because that's all he wants. If he doesn't eat dinner, wrap it up and at 9:00 when he's hungry and you normally give him a fruit yogurt and gummy bears, give him his leftover dinner instead. She refuses. He has a snack every day when she picks him up and they live 10 minutes away. Then wonder why he goes home and won't eat dinner, when he JUST had a snack. Brother is almost 2 and gets up in the middle of the night and gets a milk bottle. There is no way I can win this battle.
Tags:food, throwing food away
Reply Up