Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much to Charge?
Momof2Boys 05:45 PM 04-17-2010
Hi there!!

I have been a member here for a couple of months, and have just been lurking...which has already answered a lot of my questions! I currently work part-time, but am considering starting my own daycare (I have two boys of my own - a 3 year old and a 6 month old). I am willing to get licensed if enough families are intersted in care.

Anyway, I had a lady contact me about watching her 2 year old and 4 year old daughters 3 days a week for about 13 hours a day (she works three 12 hour shifts at a hospital) and she asked me what I would charge. I know that licensed daycare providers have asked for about $35/day for an infant, and $30/day for a toddler for my boys when I was looking for childcare (so about $170 a week). The hours I needed were only 5 1/2-7 hours max per day!

At my current job I make about $200 a week (before childcare costs and gas), so I would like to be able to continue making this much. Do you think I would be asking for too much if I charged this lady $70 a day for her two girls? That would come out to be $210 a week.

Like I said, I am not licensed, but am willing to get this accomplished. And this fall, I would even like to start doing preschool activities with the kids. Should I charge more once I begin these things?

Anyway, I appreciate any information!
jen 05:51 PM 04-17-2010
I think thats more than fair!
mac60 05:59 PM 04-17-2010
Being licensed has nothing to do with what you should charge. Your quality of care, what you offer, etc, is where the cost should come in. As far as rates, you should probably research your area and go from there.
momofboys 06:06 PM 04-17-2010
Originally Posted by Momof2Boys:
Hi there!!

I have been a member here for a couple of months, and have just been lurking...which has already answered a lot of my questions! I currently work part-time, but am considering starting my own daycare (I have two boys of my own - a 3 year old and a 6 month old). I am willing to get licensed if enough families are intersted in care.

Anyway, I had a lady contact me about watching her 2 year old and 4 year old daughters 3 days a week for about 13 hours a day (she works three 12 hour shifts at a hospital) and she asked me what I would charge. I know that licensed daycare providers have asked for about $35/day for an infant, and $30/day for a toddler for my boys when I was looking for childcare (so about $170 a week). The hours I needed were only 5 1/2-7 hours max per day!

At my current job I make about $200 a week (before childcare costs and gas), so I would like to be able to continue making this much. Do you think I would be asking for too much if I charged this lady $70 a day for her two girls? That would come out to be $210 a week.

Like I said, I am not licensed, but am willing to get this accomplished. And this fall, I would even like to start doing preschool activities with the kids. Should I charge more once I begin these things?

I think that sounds fair. It would be a LONG day for you though so please take that into consideration when thinking of the pricing.
nannyde 07:32 PM 04-17-2010
Hi there!!

What she is asking for is that you do a full week of day care in three days. You need to charge her a full week of pay. If licensed providers charge 35 a day for one day then you need to mulitply that by 1.5 because each day you are doing one and a half days. That's per child.

You will quickly tire of doing that many hours for 35 dollars per kid per day. It's less than three dollars per hour per kid. The Mom is getting a day and a half of pay for every day she works. You should too. By doing 35 a day per child you are basically giving her a half day of work free every day. People that work that long of a shift KNOW that child care is way more expensive than a traditional 9 hour working day. She may be looking for someone to do the extra half day for free so she can have "part time" day care rates instead of the full time rates for the hours you are actually doing.
misol 08:08 PM 04-17-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
What she is asking for is that you do a full week of day care in three days. You need to charge her a full week of pay. If licensed providers charge 35 a day for one day then you need to mulitply that by 1.5 because each day you are doing one and a half days. That's per child.

You will quickly tire of doing that many hours for 35 dollars per kid per day. It's less than three dollars per hour per kid. The Mom is getting a day and a half of pay for every day she works. You should too. By doing 35 a day per child you are basically giving her a half day of work free every day. People that work that long of a shift KNOW that child care is way more expensive than a traditional 9 hour working day. She may be looking for someone to do the extra half day for free so she can have "part time" day care rates instead of the full time rates for the hours you are actually doing.
This makes perfect sense. After reading this I would also charge her for the full week.
momofboys 08:24 PM 04-17-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:

NOw that I read this I totally agree with it! My kids that I watch are "only" here about 9 1/2 hrs & that is a long day to me. I'd strongly encourage you to add $5-10 a day per child or more, whatever you feel comfortable with. When you talk prices with the mom explain that you typically charge "X" amount but that price is only good for X number of hours which is a standard work day. This is more like a day and a half. Good luck & keep us posted!!
momma2girls 08:54 AM 04-18-2010
I have $30.00 for a full day parttime or a fillin rate. My fulltime rate is $140.00/$130.00 potty trained. This is for a 9-9 1/2 hr. day. I have friends that do a max. of 9 hrs. per day- anything over that or 45 hrs. a week is considered OT for her. I agree with this. I think she receives $5.00 per hr. after the 45 hrs. THis is anything after 45 hrs. even if it is only 15 or 20 min.
Pammie 10:08 AM 04-18-2010
Just a thought to consider.....
Sometime in the future should you decide to offer daycare to other families that may have more traditional work hours in addition to this family..those 13 hour days are going to be very, very challenging - not only for you, but for your family as well.

It's too easy to burn-out in this profession by over-extending yourself. I truly encourage you to thoughtfully consider the impact on yourself and your own kids by just starting out in the world of daycare and for your kids to have to share their mom for so much over-time.

I commend all providers that can and do offer "overtime" care. I personally couldn't do it, and I know when my kids were younger, they really enjoyed their own time with mom after all of the daycare kids left for the day.

Just my very most humble opinion
momma2girls 10:21 AM 04-18-2010
Originally Posted by Pammie:
Sometime in the future should you decide to offer daycare to other families that may have more traditional work hours in addition to this family..those 13 hour days are going to be very, very challenging - not only for you, but for your family as well.

It's too easy to burn-out in this profession by over-extending yourself. I truly encourage you to thoughtfully consider the impact on yourself and your own kids by just starting out in the world of daycare and for your kids to have to share their mom for so much over-time.

I commend all providers that can and do offer "overtime" care. I personally couldn't do it, and I know when my kids were younger, they really enjoyed their own time with mom after all of the daycare kids left for the day.

I agree with you- I am open 9 - 9 1/2 hrs. I think this is plenty of time for work and commute times for everyone. I know my family comes first! I wouldn't babysit any longer, I think 9- 9 1/2 hrs. a day is enough!!!
SunflowerMama 10:54 AM 04-18-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
I think thats more than fair!

I totally agree and agree with pp people that you should charge a full week based on the hours you would be watching them.
momma2girls 11:03 AM 04-18-2010
I agree also it is going to be a full time in the amt. of hrs. you will be taking care of them, even though, it is only 3 days/week- That is still fulltime hrs.!!!
Unregistered 11:05 AM 04-18-2010
I have a part time rate of $62.50 per child for any care up to 20 hours and anything over that is $125 a week, thats the going rate in my area, for my doing by hours stops the arguing of it only being 2 or 3 days, if its over 20 hours charge full time..kiddie care
Momof2Boys 01:13 PM 04-18-2010
I want to thank you all so much for the responses! It never occured to me that it would be a full work week in only three days, or that she would be getting a day and a half pay. We are currently emailing back and forth, and the last one I sent her said that I would be willing to do $80 a day. The reason I said this amount, is because her girls would be dropped off around 5:45am, but they could be picked up anywhere between 6:00pm and 7:30pm, so I thought it would be a fair price regardless of pick up time. I will see what she says...

I do have one more question. She mentioned that she would need care 2 OR 3 days a week, so I am now wondering if I should charge a minimum weekly rate in case she only brings them 2 days one week, so that I can still count on a certain amount of income each week. How would you go about this?

I wouldn't plan on taking on any more kids unless they happen to need the same days as this family because I would want the rest of the week with just my family. Anyway, for this reason, I can't exactly charge her a "holding fee" for those spots in my "day care" because she would be the only family I'd be caring for.

You guys are great, and I appreciate your tips and info
Former Teacher 05:58 PM 04-18-2010
I want to thank you all so much for the responses! It never occured to me that it would be a full work week in only three days, or that she would be getting a day and a half pay. We are currently emailing back and forth, and the last one I sent her said that I would be willing to do $80 a day. The reason I said this amount, is because her girls would be dropped off around 5:45am, but they could be picked up anywhere between 6:00pm and 7:30pm, so I thought it would be a fair price regardless of pick up time. I will see what she says...

I do have one more question. She mentioned that she would need care 2 OR 3 days a week, so I am now wondering if I should charge a minimum weekly rate in case she only brings them 2 days one week, so that I can still count on a certain amount of income each week. How would you go about this?

I wouldn't plan on taking on any more kids unless they happen to need the same days as this family because I would want the rest of the week with just my family. Anyway, for this reason, I can't exactly charge her a "holding fee" for those spots in my "day care" because she would be the only family I'd be caring for.

I would charge her a flat rate. That way you are guaranteed money and she is guaranteed a spot
QualiTcare 08:51 PM 04-18-2010
i charge $175 per week for full time care which equals out to $35 per day. i have a mother who is a nurse and she works 3 twelve hour shifts. she pays me $175 because it's 36 hours crammed into 3 days vs. 40 hours spread over five days. also, she sometimes wants to bring her son on another day so she can get chores/errands done - so she pays $200 weekly based on that.

i have to say - the parents i serve are willing to pay a little more than normal (for where we live) because i have a degree in early childhood and i only keep four kids.

but that's how i do it...
TGT09 04:37 AM 04-19-2010
Originally Posted by Pammie:

I comletely agree on the burning out part. I'm open 10.5 hours, 4 days a week and then open for 16 hours on Wednesday's. Wednesday is seriously the longest day EVER! Every week, I kick myself for volunteering to a friend that I would watch her girls while she goes to school from 5-10:30. Luckily, she graduates next March so I will not be taking anymore kids what I guess would be considered 2nd shift after working 1st shift too.

Unlike some of the other ladies if I were only working 3 long days rather than 5....I would be ok with that. But, I do agree that she gets charged for a whole week and not part-time. I charge $160 a week for newborn to pre-k. I don't know however, if I'd feel comfortable charging this lady $320 so I might go through "offering a deal". You could also do a "trial" period so you could see how it's like to have the kids and it should definitely go off of how "good" the girls are. If I had 2 kids that didn't fit in well to my home and had to have them for 3 long days, I would think twice about it.
nannyde 06:09 AM 04-19-2010

her girls would be dropped off around 5:45am, but they could be picked up anywhere between 6:00pm and 7:30pm, so I thought it would be a fair price regardless of pick up time. I will see what she says...

Always base your rate on the last possible time they are contracted to pick up and don't give a discount if they do come early. Most parents who give you a big window (this is 1.5 hour windown daily times 3 days = 4.5 a week of AWAKE time with the kids) but then have pick up time be the last possible minute EVERY day. In fact, you have a greater chance of her actually being late if she does get off that early (6) because she will know she can leave the kids with you for no additional money and go run errands or have some me time. Once they get into having "me" time they often come late. That would really suck after such a long day so make SURE you base their rates on 7:30 and have a very steep per minute late fee.

Her being a nurse could really land you into overtime. Make sure you have a very steep after 7:30 rate. If she's doing more than twelve hours she will get a big overtime rate so you should too.

I would not do the 2-3 days a week thing. It needs to be three to make it worth it and to have the kids settle into your care. What she is saying is she MIGHT be able to find someone for free on one of the days so she doesn't want to pay you if she HAPPENS to find someone. You will not have a stable income if you allow this. If you do allow only 2 days then you need to have the daily rate be at least 20 percent higher. So if you are doing 80 dollars a day for three days it needs to go to 96 dollars a day if it's only two days a week. The lower you go down in days the more expensive the daily rate is.

She needs to give you a set schedule that can NOT be changed. At the minimum it needs to be given to you by Friday for the upcoming week. If she misses a day she still pays. She can't have a "make up" day. Any care on unsheduled days is MORE money. If you don't do that she will just pick and choose the days and you will never know when you work. She will end up finding free people to do it and then want you for a day so she can have some me time.

You need to know WELL in advance.. make her PAY in advance... and stick TO the schedule every week.

I doubt she will hire you because your rates are too reflective of current rates. My guess is she's looking for a deal and that deal would be really long hours for just a regular daily rate for a couple of flexible days per week. It's all good for her but TERRIBLE for the provider.

Nan
MarinaVanessa 06:23 AM 04-19-2010
I would charge a flat fee as well. I would think about having a max weekly cap (mine is 50 hours a week for full-time and 30 hours a week for part-time). Charging a flat weekly rate for each is a smart idea because by charging by enrollment instead of by attendance you guarantee your income. Anytime that your clients go over these hours you can charge overtime. Personally I also have a daily time cap of 10 hours per day per child even though I am open 12 hours a day but you can opt differently. Do what will work for you and what you are comfortable with.
Tags:charges, weekly rates
Reply Up