Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just Had My First Interview..
Momof2Boys 06:03 PM 05-08-2010
I just met with a lady and her 20-month-old daughter. Things seemed to go really well and she even filled out and signed some of the forms I had for her. She is taking the handbook and contract home to be signed by herself and her husband.

Here's the problem...she's a younger mom (I have nothing against this, I'm 24 myself) and this is the first time she's ever had her daughter in day care. Before it has always been Grandma and Grandpa. She told me that she didn't meet with any other day care providers, and that the few she talked to over the phone could not accomodate the hours she needed care for. She didn't seem to want very much in-depth information about me or what I have to offer for her daughter. She never asked about my parenting techniques, my decipline style, or even about my background with kids.

When I was searching for a day care provider for my boys, I wanted to know everything I possibly could about the person I was possibly going to leave my boys with. And I definitely met with EVERY possible provider I could to make sure I made the right decision.

Have any of you run across a parent like this? Is it pretty common for a parent to be this trustworthy with a childcare provider they just met?

I guess I'm just concerned that if I accept her, and quit my part-time job to care for her daughter, then she's going to discover a provider she likes more a few weeks from now because she's suddenly deciding to do her research.

Should I be concerned or should I just be happy that I found a child to care for (which isn't very easy in my area)? I am asking for a $300 deposit (2 weeks worth of care), so I suppose if she pays this then she's pretty serious, right?

I appreciate any input!
Rachel 01:24 AM 05-09-2010
I would think if she pays it she's pretty serious. I have had people who left me their kids without knowing anything about me besides my first name. Not what I would do, but I don't think it's necessarily a red flag if all else went well.
mismatchedsocks 05:23 AM 05-09-2010
I have had a few parents who ask me a few questions over the phone, set up a time to come here, walk through, take the paperwork and start the next day. Not something I would do personally, but to each their own.

I have a two week notice in my contract so if she decides to go somewhere else then at least you have 2 weeks to try to get a new child. Good luck. Hope it works out!
originalkat 07:03 AM 05-09-2010
I had a family that came in at the interview and TOTALLY trusted me right off the bat and didnt have very many questions at all. I found this odd myself. They ended up only lasting a month. So it is hard to tell what will come of a family like this.
Momof2Boys 08:22 AM 05-09-2010
I appreciate your responses! It seems there are parents out there who can trust easily. I'll just have to trust that she'll be a family I can care for for a long time. During the interview, I asked her if she planned on having her daughter in daycare until she starts preschool or kindergarten, and she said yes. So I am hoping that she meant she planned on having her in MY care until then
DBug 10:51 AM 05-09-2010
It could be that your policies and handbook are so thorough, that all of her questions were answered already. I've had several interviews like that. I go through EVERYTHING first, and then ask if there are any questions. Generally parents say, "I had a few, but going through your handbook answered them!". As well, when you're organized, professional and thorough, parents are more likely to trust that you'll do a great job -- they can tell you're not just a fly-by-night operation.

Of course, there are never any guarantees, but I don't think you should be too worried ...
MarinaVanessa 02:26 PM 05-09-2010
I agree that not all parents ask a lot of questions. Some are more concerned about things than others. Usually though it's the new parents that ask the barrage of questions. If it still nags at you that this mom isn't asking a lot of questions and are worried that she may not like something about your program then why not ask her what her expectations are, what her discipline take is like etc. That way if she says something that you do or don't do you can make it clear right away. Personally I do this during the interview process anyway even though the parent says that they have read the manual. We all knoe that they don't always do that even if they say they do.
Tags:interview
Reply Up