Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Had An Interview Last Night
mia 10:29 AM 03-28-2014
I had an interview last night .... for a little boy almost 3, seemed very nice, the problem is, is that she only needs about 4 hrs and only needs for 1 day from 9 to 1, which is right in the middle of my programming and in the middle of nap time.... she also wanted to stay with the child for the first hour or more until he settles.....

To me that is not really worth the time, for she would be taking up a full or even a part time spot...... If she would be willing to do 3 days at a full day I would not have an issue with that.... I don't do drop in's.....

So ? is how or what would you say to her.
JoseyJo 10:44 AM 03-28-2014
Originally Posted by mia:
I had an interview last night .... for a little boy almost 3, seemed very nice, the problem is, is that she only needs about 4 hrs and only needs for 1 day from 9 to 1, which is right in the middle of my programming and in the middle of nap time.... she also wanted to stay with the child for the first hour or more until he settles.....

To me that is not really worth the time, for she would be taking up a full or even a part time spot...... If she would be willing to do 3 days at a full day I would not have an issue with that.... I don't do drop in's.....

So ? is how or what would you say to her.
I SO wouldn't do this. Not worth the money, time, or inconvenience
coolconfidentme 10:45 AM 03-28-2014
Tell her you have a minimum of 3 days a week.
CraftyMom 10:49 AM 03-28-2014
"I'm sorry but the times you are looking for do not work, there are no pick ups or drop offs during nap time. Also, I have a minimum requirement of 3 days to help the child get into our routine here"
jenn 10:49 AM 03-28-2014
I would pass. You would be losing a whole spot that could be taken by a full timer. He's only going to be there 4 hours and mom wants to spend the first hour with him? No thanks. You could tell her you have a weekly minimum that she would have to pay or tell her you are looking to fill the spot with a full time person.
Blackcat31 10:57 AM 03-28-2014
I'd straight up tell her you don't do drop in care and that you only accept children that attend a minimum of 3 days per week.

It's nice that she isn't looking to drop her kid 5 days a week for 10 hours a day but she may not be aware of how difficult her request is for someone who does GROUP care.

I'd try and enlighten her as to why the hours and day she is looking to cover will be tough to manage.

I think parents think the less they want for hours, the cheaper and easier it should be for us to accommodate.

VERY few parents understand that we aim for that middle ground....not too here from open to close but here enough to have a routine and consistency.
LadyPearl 12:24 PM 03-28-2014
I learned my lesson from trying to do drop-in care. It causes chaos due to the lack of routine.
mia 04:03 PM 03-28-2014
Well thank you all.... I went with my gut and took all your advice.... RUN....lol

I sent her an e-mail this afternoon and gave her a few other providers in the area to try.....

I'm just waiting to see if she received the e-mail or not.....

I hope it all works out for her... for they seemed really nice.....

Thanks again.... You ladies are great ......
Leigh 05:07 PM 03-28-2014
I have a minimum that is 65% of my full time rate. I would be THRILLED if I could get 20 clients that wanted 4 hours per week!
Laurel 03:51 AM 03-29-2014
I do a three day minimum too. I would tell her that I can take the child for those hours but she'd have to pay for 3 days. My provider friend only does 5 days and no part time but she will do part time but get full time pay. Most don't accept but she has had a few over the years who will pay full time and only bring child part time. So I always think it is worth it to offer it.

Laurel
cheerfuldom 10:30 AM 03-29-2014
4 hours, 1 day a week and she wants to stay? LOL why? just hire a college student or SAHM to nanny at your house. Sounds like she is looking for a play date type setup or "mothers morning out" program. Its just so funny that parents have no clue what they are really asking for.....do your homework and find a program that works with what you want instead of asking a provider that takes kids all day every day to let you have a playdate at their house. oy.

that said, there are a number of programs here that would work for her....mothers morning out programs or very part time preschool, like two mornings a week. I would not waste another providers time by sending her to someone else. I would direct her to the programs that already fit her needs.
Crazy8 11:42 AM 03-29-2014
In the future I would get days/hours needed before even setting up the interview!! I wouldn't have even wasted my time interviewing for that one!

I will sometimes do 2 days a week. I used to get requests for half days from SAHM's but instead created a "shortened day" rate - its 9:30-3:30 and its really only a little less $ than a full day rate. I explain to them the reasons a half day schedule doesn't work for me and this is the alternative. I have had a few do it and I like that its a shorter day but doesn't interfere with my schedule and I am fine with the money end of it - it is rare for me to have all openings filled.
Reply Up