Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Any Ideas What This Is?
JoseyJo 03:36 PM 06-23-2014
We thought heat rash but it got WAY worse overnight. No fever, no fussiness. She is 6 weeks old. Rash is mostly on face but is starting to go onto chest. Nowhere else at all.

I can't post pictures for some reason- so here is a link where you can see them:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10713...55013206369105

TIA!
permanentvacation 04:01 PM 06-23-2014
Might be roseola. You can google it to research it and see what you think.
MarinaVanessa 04:05 PM 06-23-2014
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
Might be roseola. You can google it to research it and see what you think.
That's what I was thinking. Looks a lot like when my DS had it. He pretty much only had it on his face and chest area. Kinda strange it seems to follow the jaw line

I know it's Monday and you haven't seen him in 2 days but do you know if he had a fever right before the rash popped up. Sometimes that happens.
TwinKristi 04:08 PM 06-23-2014
Ehhhh I'm actually going to go non-viral and say allergy! It looks like hives to me. Is mom nursing? My DS developed an allergy to dairy/lactose at about 6wks old. One day he was fine, next day he had a little rash, then a big rash! Could even be laundry detergent, soap, lotion...
MarinaVanessa 04:13 PM 06-23-2014
Just had to add that rash or no rash ... that's one damn cute baby. I just wanna grab me that baby and kiss his nose and squeeze those big 'ol cheeks!
JoseyJo 04:51 PM 06-23-2014
LOL! That's my grandbaby. She is pretty damn cute

She hasn't had a fever at all, hasn't even been fussy (any more than normal). It started as a very small rash on the sides of her cheeks on Thurs/Fri- right where the head support touches her face on the carseat so we thought it might be heat rash. We took the head support off and changed the cover (washed in hypoallergenic soap, same kind we always use) on Sat.

The rash was a little worse yesterday, but it was pretty warm and she was outside at a BBQ for a while w/ dad's side of the family. I hadn't seen her since yesterday late in the evening until about an hour ago when my daughter came by to have me watch her for a little while. Sometime within that time it got way worse (my dd says she doesn't know when, don't know why she didn't notice?).

She is not BF, she was, but she switched to formula about 2 weeks ago. She is using milk based.
SilverSabre25 04:56 PM 06-23-2014
hm. in a babe that young i'd say go to the doc. it does NOT look like roseola to me (that's lacey and all over), nor does it look like heat rash. Bug bites maybe? or hives...or food allergy.
sugar buzz 05:00 PM 06-23-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Ehhhh I'm actually going to go non-viral and say allergy! It looks like hives to me. Is mom nursing? My DS developed an allergy to dairy/lactose at about 6wks old. One day he was fine, next day he had a little rash, then a big rash! Could even be laundry detergent, soap, lotion...
This looks just like my DD's drug rash that she developed when she was a baby. She was allergic to a form of penicillin. So, I agree that it looks like an allergic reaction, too. I also agree that your grand-baby is above-average adorable.
JoseyJo 06:49 PM 06-23-2014
Thank you so much everyone! Daughter will call the dr in the AM as soon as they open and I will update with what he says.
momofsix 06:56 PM 06-23-2014
Good plan ^^^ She is absolutely Adorable! Even without a fever, with a baby that young I'd have a call into the dr just to see what they say.
Unregistered 07:08 PM 06-23-2014
it looks like the beginning of baby acne to me.
lynne 07:17 PM 06-23-2014
Fifths? or heat rash?
CraftyMom 08:32 PM 06-23-2014
Not roseola, there would be high fever and the rash would look more lacey.

I'm going with eczema. That's how my kids' started at the same age.
missy 06:56 AM 06-24-2014
I am betting viral. Hopefully not just sun allergy. Some babies/kids just get rashes all the time. Hope it is something simple!
JoseyJo 07:03 AM 06-24-2014
We will find out soon. I'm taking her to the dr in about an hour (mom has an interview). I'll update when I know
CraftyMom 09:50 AM 06-24-2014
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
We will find out soon. I'm taking her to the dr in about an hour (mom has an interview). I'll update when I know

JoseyJo 01:21 PM 06-24-2014
It wasn't her normal pediatrician, it was another doctor in his office and she was very young...

She said it defiantly wasn't a virus because babies under 6 months old don't get viruses that cause rashes because of the antibodies they get in-utero. She said prob baby acne. I asked about possible food allergy to formula and she said sure, could be, just switch her to soy... I asked about possible enviornmental allergies, she said sure, keep her only in synthetic fibers (do they even make non-cotton baby clothes?), and wash everything in free and clear soap (already do that). She also said to use aquafer on her even though her skin is oily. I asked about possible exema (runs in our family) said said sure, could be...

Not sure where to go from here...
SilverSabre25 02:17 PM 06-24-2014
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
It wasn't her normal pediatrician, it was another doctor in his office and she was very young...

She said it defiantly wasn't a virus because babies under 6 months old don't get viruses that cause rashes because of the antibodies they get in-utero. She said prob baby acne. I asked about possible food allergy to formula and she said sure, could be, just switch her to soy... I asked about possible enviornmental allergies, she said sure, keep her only in synthetic fibers (do they even make non-cotton baby clothes?), and wash everything in free and clear soap (already do that). She also said to use aquafer on her even though her skin is oily. I asked about possible exema (runs in our family) said said sure, could be...

Not sure where to go from here...
I'd start with not seeing that doc again...that's dumb. babies under 6 months can get viruses...I've never heard that and I'm a birthy kinda gal. keep her in synthetic fibers? What a dork. I wouldn't use the aquaphor....switching to soy is a shame because soy and dairy allergies often go hand in hand but it's a start. Eczema is usually an allergy symptom btw.
CraftyMom 02:39 PM 06-24-2014
I get what the dr is saying by not saying...it could be a lot of things.

Been there! It's a "trying" game. Try different detergents, see if that helps. Try different fabrics see if that helps. Try soy formula see if that helps. Maybe it's acne, maybe it's eczema...it's hard to pin point. But all of the above would help for acne or eczema (beside the soy, not sure about that) since both could be aggravated by certain fabrics, lotions, detergents, etc.

Best thing would be switch to EVERYTHING dye free, perfume free. Laundry detergent, baby wash, no fabric softener unless it is perfume free, dye free. Even the dreft or other baby detergents aren't as gentle as they claim.

We used Aveeno baby wash and Aveeno eczema cream. We did use aquaphor, but it is soooo greasy like Vaseline. It helped though. You really don't even need baby wash, they don't get that dirty

You could always get a 2nd opinion, maybe when her normal doc is there
Cradle2crayons 02:59 PM 06-24-2014
To me, it really does look more like a heat rash... Sometimes they take several days to go away.

If you already use free and clear detergent... I'd stay with that... I'd NOT start changing a whole bunch of things... I'd give it at least 3-5 more days... Unless it gets much worse... Any other signs of allergy starts such as her eyes, lips, etc..

Some kids are just what I call "rashy" and it may be nothing.. But if you start changing several thighs she could have a real reaction to one of those things and because you are changing so many things you'll really never get it figured out.
JoseyJo 03:19 PM 06-24-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
I get what the dr is saying by not saying...it could be a lot of things.

Been there! It's a "trying" game. Try different detergents, see if that helps. Try different fabrics see if that helps. Try soy formula see if that helps. Maybe it's acne, maybe it's eczema...it's hard to pin point. But all of the above would help for acne or eczema (beside the soy, not sure about that) since both could be aggravated by certain fabrics, lotions, detergents, etc.

Best thing would be switch to EVERYTHING dye free, perfume free. Laundry detergent, baby wash, no fabric softener unless it is perfume free, dye free. Even the dreft or other baby detergents aren't as gentle as they claim.

We used Aveeno baby wash and Aveeno eczema cream. We did use aquaphor, but it is soooo greasy like Vaseline. It helped though. You really don't even need baby wash, they don't get that dirty

You could always get a 2nd opinion, maybe when her normal doc is there
We have a lot of allergies in our family so we already use dye/perfume free everything. We have been using johnson's baby wash on her, but we will switch that to something hypoallergenic. She really does need to be washed, at least her hair, her hair is SO greasy! She also sweats a lot- even when I am cool she is too warm.

My daughter is going to try soy and see if there is any improvement. I guess we will see!
Reply Up