Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How much help..
Unregistered 06:45 AM 10-31-2014
How much help do your 2/3s need getting dressed for outside? Or pulling up their pants after potty? Cleaning up toys when they've made mess?
Meyou 07:02 AM 10-31-2014
I expect my 2's and 3's to get dressed themselves with minimal help. I do zippers for 2's but all of my 3's can zip themselves. We have zipper practice!

They clean up the playroom alone and do a decent job several times per day. I start expecting them to help pick up when they're about 18 months.
crazydaycarelady 07:18 AM 10-31-2014
I expect my 2yos to start getting themselves ready also. By 3yos they can get everything on themselves except maybe gloves and zippers.
Unregistered 07:40 AM 10-31-2014
I have 2 dcks 2 and 3 and they do not even start to dress themselves they wander the pouch.. Laugh.. Pick at other children but don't even try and get ready. They are dress and catered to at home
Play Care 07:47 AM 10-31-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have 2 dcks 2 and 3 and they do not even start to dress themselves they wander the pouch.. Laugh.. Pick at other children but don't even try and get ready. They are dress and catered to at home
I would start having dressing practice as an activity.
Meyou 08:02 AM 10-31-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I would start having dressing practice as an activity.
Yep! Getting dressed practice is something we do here frequently. Repeat until they get it.

We had 15 minutes of zippering practice daily for a week at one point last year because one of my 4's and two of my 3's completely forgot how to zipper all on the same day. Strange how that happens. lol
finsup 09:22 AM 10-31-2014
My 3 year old can do most everything on his own...he needs a little help getting zippers started and putting on a second glove or mitten but other then that he does alright. The 18 month old here can bring me his stuff, and TRIES to put it on. Doesn't typically happen but he tries. Working on the jacket flip now to help him (put the tag of the jacket on the floor near their toes, have them put their arms in and flip it over their heads. Works great for little guys to put their own coats on, just takes a bit of practice.)
spinnymarie 10:55 AM 10-31-2014
My 2s need some help with pants ever now and then, some help with shoes and def need help with zipping. They need more time and direction with clean up. 3s need a little help zipping, or reminders of how to put pants/shoes on the right way and not backward.
daycarediva 11:15 AM 10-31-2014
My 3's are all independent, and my 2's depends on if they are FT/PT AND how much the parents do for them at home. I just keep offering them opportunities to do things themselves.

I had a 4yo, not potty trained, that couldn't do slip on shoes. No special needs, just everything done for him.
racemom 02:48 PM 10-31-2014
We have a 3 almost 4 dcb who does nothing himself at home--so occasionally "forgets"how to put his own coat on, and has a meltdown when no one will do it for him. Last week a two year old showed him how to lay his coat down and flip it, which is how the younger ones put theirs on. I just stood back and watched it play out.
Reply Up