Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm So Over Complaining Parents
Bookworm 10:46 AM 12-10-2014
Once again, one of my PT parents is complaining about their child never having art on the wall. This is not the parent who wanted us to wait until they showed up to start class. This parent comes in around 10:00-10:15 on the days they come. By then, we're ddayne for the day andtimemoving into free play or other activities. I found out from my director that mom is getting upset that DCG never has any art displayed or sent home. My Director knows what's up and explained, again, about the schedule and the limited time we have in the morning. Well, that wasn't acceptable. This morning, mom came in with attitude to talk about the schedule. I told her,again, that due to the limited amount of time, painting is done between 8-9 am and anything else is done after 9:30. She asked if we could wait until DCG gets there and I told her that it might not be possible but depending on the project I could save hers until after nap. I couldn't tell if she was ok with my suggestion because she just walked out of my room.

I am done with parents complaining about stuff they have the power to change. Mom could easily have DCG here at or before 8am. She doesn't want to because she says it's too early to get up. I do feel bad that DCG has nothing to show mom what she did that day. But at the same time, I'm not rearranging my schedule for someone who may or may not show up that day. I'm getting sick and tired of the same complaints constantly and I feel like I'm punishing DCG because of mom. If any of you have been in a situation like this, please tell me how you got through it. I welcome all opinions and advice.
melilley 10:57 AM 12-10-2014

Too bad you couldn't tell dcm that if she wants her to do art so bad, then do it at home before coming to dc. I don't understand how she has room to complain when it's her fault that dcg isn't there in time for art.
When I worked in a center, we also had a schedule. If you're there for scheduled activities, then great, if not then you don't get to participate. I know it's not the child's fault, but if you/we give in for every child, you/we would be doing art (or whatever) all day!
TheGoodLife 01:10 PM 12-10-2014
Can she do less messy/time-consuming art (coloring for example) to at least put something on the wall? Then if they want paint they can come earlier- if not, crayons will have to suffice!
daycare 01:25 PM 12-10-2014
I don't know how you do it working for a center when someone else gets to call the shots.

Do you have a schedule of your day printed anywhere? If not, I would print one up and give it to daycare mom. I would tell her if you want her to participate in painting she needs to be here by this time on the schedule. I would then tell her if I had to change the schedule to meet every families needs, then we would never paint.

I am not too sure how old this child is, but is it possible to set up a free art time that is not adult lead and let the kids have it as an option as apart of their free choice play?

I have a schedule that all parents are given, but I also don't allow drop off after 9am. If you are not here by then, then you are not coming for the day.
Bookworm 02:01 PM 12-10-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I don't know how you do it working for a center when someone else gets to call the shots.

Do you have a schedule of your day printed anywhere? If not, I would print one up and give it to daycare mom. I would tell her if you want her to participate in painting she needs to be here by this time on the schedule. I would then tell her if I had to change the schedule to meet every families needs, then we would never paint.

I am not too sure how old this child is, but is it possible to set up a free art time that is not adult lead and let the kids have it as an option as apart of their free choice play?

I have a schedule that all parents are given, but I also don't allow drop off after 9am. If you are not here by then, then you are not coming for the day.
Daycare, every suggestion you gave I already do. The schedule is posted outside my room next to the door and inside the door so she sees it coming and going. One of the biggest problems we teachers have to deal with is management's refusal to set a final drop off time. We have children coming in as late as noon and not being fed. Lunch is over by 11:30 and some will stroll right in at noon saying their child is hungry. We promptly send them to the store to get lunch. Management justifies this by saying that the parents pay for it so can come in anytime.

Good Life, I have a space on one of the walls just for them to put up any art that they've done. The art center is always stocked and available to them all day.

I'm just over it all. I'm going to continue what I'm doing. There's always going to be that parent who wants all of the benefits with none of the effort. Thanks for reading and the advice.
nannyde 03:08 PM 12-10-2014
Have her paint with her at home and bring the artwork for you to hang.
Bookworm 03:36 PM 12-10-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Have her paint with her at home and bring the artwork for you to hang.
That would be too much like right. Remember, she wants the benefits with no sacrifice. Which parent is she in your book?
Reply Up