Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Maternity Leave for Provider
SnowGirl 08:09 PM 01-08-2016
I am expecting a baby due in April, and my daycare family (I only have one right now because I'm taking it easy!) knows and is expecting to find alternate care during my recovery period.

I am wondering if anyone else has had a baby while running a daycare and how they handled the maternity "leave" process. Part of me thinks I should be able to take the family back after two weeks (provided the birth isn't via cesarean and my recovery is longer), but is that too ambitious? When I begin care again, it would be a 3 yo DCG, 2.5 yo DD, 1 yo DCG, and newborn DS.

Just wondering what your experiences were and how quickly you felt you could get back to work, if you've ever been in these shoes! TIA!
Controlled Chaos 09:23 PM 01-08-2016
I took 1 month off. I was super ready to start back after 4weeks, could have started back after 2 weeks, but glad I took the extra time to bond with my newborn and give my other 2 kids some attention.
Nisaryn 11:06 PM 01-08-2016
Originally Posted by SnowGirl:
I am expecting a baby due in April, and my daycare family (I only have one right now because I'm taking it easy!) knows and is expecting to find alternate care during my recovery period.

I am wondering if anyone else has had a baby while running a daycare and how they handled the maternity "leave" process. Part of me thinks I should be able to take the family back after two weeks (provided the birth isn't via cesarean and my recovery is longer), but is that too ambitious? When I begin care again, it would be a 3 yo DCG, 2.5 yo DD, 1 yo DCG, and newborn DS.

Just wondering what your experiences were and how quickly you felt you could get back to work, if you've ever been in these shoes! TIA!
A lot of it depends on you, I took two months off but I had a C-section and I breast-feed so I wanted to make sure I had already established my milk supply and was able to give all my time to those first few weeks after birth. Honestly, those first two weeks are when your baby will need you the most...he/she will be new to the world and surrounded by sights, smells, sounds he/she is unsure of and will need to know that you are there to comfort them. You might not be able to do that so easily while running your daycare so soon after having the baby. If you can afford to go more than two weeks I would recommend you do so. This is just my opinion though and no judgment at all if you decide to get back in the saddle after just 2 weeks.
Unregistered 09:36 AM 01-09-2016
I took 2 weeks off with my 2nd and 4th child. I took 6 weeks with my 3rd who was preterm. I felt ready after 2 weeks each time but had easy deliveries and my husband was able to take a full month with me so I had two sets of hands my first two weeks back to work. I also breastfed but was lucky to work with families who were very supportive and understood our schedule would be a little crazy during the early weeks of breastfeeding.
childcaremom 09:38 AM 01-09-2016
I would take as much time as you are able to/can afford. I know I appreciated all the time off I could afford.
finsup 02:20 PM 01-09-2016
I took 2 weeks and had c sections I knew what to expect from my first and I recover quickly. However if you can afford to take more time and not loose the family (or you don't mind if you do) take as much time as you can!
SnowGirl 08:59 AM 01-12-2016
Thank you everyone!! I'm thinking now four weeks is fine. The family is expecting six weeks at least but I really don't want to do that to them. Plus, my husband and I want to move into a bigger house this year and I shouldn't take too much time off then!
Ariana 09:27 AM 01-12-2016
I took 3 weeks and had an easy vaginal birth with very quick recovery. I also had my mom come and help for 3 weeks after that and I had much older kids. With my first birth I wasn't running a daycare and had a difficult vaginal delivery with about 6 weeks of recovery because I ended up getting PUPPS (majorly itchy rash all over my torso and legs). It will really depend on how your birth goes and how you recover. Is this your first? A first time baby with a first time birth I would give myself as much time as possible...at least a month. I was a total mess after my first If the family is ok with 6 weeks I would take it. Moving is WAAAAAY easier than dealing with a NB.
SnowGirl 11:21 AM 01-12-2016
This is my second and final baby. I'm sure I'd really love as much time as possible, but it's more to do with pleasing mortgage lenders that I have a stable income LOL.

Thank you!
Reply Up