Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"Mine"?
Unregistered 02:00 PM 05-23-2018
Tips for stopping “mine” in a two year old? Or is it futile? Lol EVERYTHING is hers.

I don’t want the other kids to start saying it.
Josiegirl 02:34 PM 05-23-2018
How about stopping it in twin 4(almost) yo? And the whining fussing that goes along with it.

Sorry, no help. Just a vent of my own.

Actually, for a 2 yo I just say 'I share with everybody' when the mine starts. Or if 2 yo grabs toys saying mine, I just remind them they can have it when the other child is done. It takes time and is such a normal developmental stage for a child to go through.
racemom 05:38 PM 05-23-2018
2 year olds I just remind them we share toys. 4 year olds I would tell them nope, they are abc daycares toys, but we let you play with them.
CalCare 10:36 PM 05-23-2018
I just say, "I hear you saying the doll is yours." That's all they want is to be heard. And if they are saying "mine" while taking something, you can try watching and saying "you want the doll... James has the doll... Hm you both want it" and see what happens. I don't make any of them share really. I do make them get off of the top of the slide, for example, because other people need to use large equipment. I don't say to share it. I just say something like, "Nicki, time to get off the top of the slide because people are waiting... If you want to sit and relax somewhere, you can but not on the slide because people are using it right now... I can set up a spot for you over here..." Or something like that. In my ECE classes, we were taught not to do forced sharing. Just facilitate waiting for a turn. So I do that, but as I mentioned, I will make them give up large equipment like slides or the roller coaster since I really don't have much large motor equipment to go around. So if someone is choosing to sit at the top of the slide, there's not a whole lot else (large motor) for the kids to do.
I once said, "who wants to go outside?" And one girl said, "MY outside!" Which I thought was quite funny! I said, ,"yes I hear you saying it's YOUR outside... Who wants to go in it!?" Lol
Jamie 04:20 AM 05-24-2018
I guess I'm a horrible person
I just say "Nope, it's not yours. Everything here is mine, and I share with everybody! " no matter the age.
Blackcat31 06:59 AM 05-24-2018
Originally Posted by Jamie:
I guess I'm a horrible person
I just say "Nope, it's not yours. Everything here is mine, and I share with everybody! " no matter the age.
I'm in your boat!

I always reply "Nope! ALL the toys are MINE but I am nice enough to share them all with you!"

I say it so much that I often hear older DCK's telling younger ones "That is Miss BC's...she's just letting you play with it"
Jo123ABC 12:49 PM 05-24-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'm in your boat!

I always reply "Nope! ALL the toys are MINE but I am nice enough to share them all with you!"

I say it so much that I often hear older DCK's telling younger ones "That is Miss BC's...she's just letting you play with it"
This is what I do too! It works so far! My Dcks also understand that my own kids' rooms belong to them and the items in there as well so they respect that my kids are allowing them to play with their things when they open their doors (closed doors mean no one is allowed in.) I allow my 4y old to decide when she wants her things left alone and she can take a break from the daycare scene in her room whenever she wants. Usually, the other kids knock on her door and ask if they can play in there and she almost always lets them because she likes sharing with her friends
ColorfulSunburst 05:43 PM 05-24-2018
I say it is not your toy it is your turn to play with the toy. later it will be someone's else turn.
CeriBear 07:28 AM 05-25-2018
I work in a center so I always respond to a “ my truck” or “ my ball” by saying these toys belong to Ms. R and she wants us to share with everyone.
Tags:mine, mine - its mine
Reply Up