Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can I Deduct Yard Sale/ Craig’s List Items?
lvt77 02:36 PM 01-14-2011
I buy a lot of my books at yard sales and off of Craig’s list. I have also bought other big items like a high chair, booster seats table andchairs and etc. About $450.00 worth of items. I have no receipt for these items, can I still write them off and if so how do I do this?
SandeeAR 03:15 PM 01-14-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
I buy a lot of my books at yard sales and off of Craig’s list. I have also bought other big items like a high chair, booster seats table andchairs and etc. About $450.00 worth of items. I have no receipt for these items, can I still write them off and if so how do I do this?
I just printed off the ad and put it in my file.
KEG123 03:19 PM 01-14-2011
If I remember correctly, you should have made some sort of note of transaction at the time of sale. So even if it was off CL, the best thing you could have done was write down a receipt and you and the seller sign it.
kendallina 04:26 PM 01-14-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
If I remember correctly, you should have made some sort of note of transaction at the time of sale. So even if it was off CL, the best thing you could have done was write down a receipt and you and the seller sign it.
Yes, this is my understanding too. This is definitely the best way to do it. However, if all you can do is print off the craigslist ad then take a pic of the item in your own home, I'd still go ahead and deduct it.
lvt77 06:58 PM 01-14-2011
thanks for all the feed back...looks like Im out that money for 2010, but I will be sure to do this for 2011.....
Darn it.....lol
Abigail 09:04 PM 01-14-2011
I would still go ahead and claim it for 2010. Just make a list of the items and write down when--or close to-- and where--what city/neighborhood--you purchased the item and the price. From now on, if you purchase an item and you don't go to their home to pick it up (like meeting in a public place instead) just tell them you would like to take their name and number because you'll claim it for taxes. If you go to their home, I would make sure you write down their actual address and first name/number or even emails might be good. LOL. Either way, I'm not so sure you actually need THEM to sign a paper stating what they sold you. I could look it up, but just having the place where you got it, when, and what and how much you paid should be good enough.
kendallina 03:42 AM 01-15-2011
I agree with Abigail, I'd still claim it. I'd also take pics of everything that you are claiming and just do your very best to reconstruct the records (including approximate date of purchase, etc.). Also, if you have an email that you exchanged with the seller, print those off as well.
lvt77 07:33 AM 01-15-2011
I decided that I have a ton to write off with actual paper trails so I just may let it go if I dont need it. but if I need it, I am going to do just as abby said!

Thanks
Abigail 02:26 PM 01-15-2011
Just remember, now is a great start for 2011!.....don't remember the year for recordkeeping is here until it's too late, LOL.
darmbrust 09:12 PM 01-15-2011
I'm from NORTH DAKOTA a farm wife, and have these clever bibs for sale that i invented, and i would like to see daycare providers to invest in them, they woud never drop there pacifier again and they wouldn't get the other kids germs either, they are made with eco friendlysave the and go green,i have sponge bob and dora and many other ones i would like to no if i can put a ad on here,and or where can i sell them at ,you can email me at my personal email at darmbrust@ndgateway.com
Tags:deductible
Reply Up