Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:15 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Multiple Child Families?

If my full time rate is $125/Wk per child and I offer them ten hours/day to use for Child Care per spot per week. And I offer Breakfast, AM Snack, Lunch, PM Snack and drinks at scheduled times then should I offer a discounted mutli-family rate? Or should I go ahead and keep it the $125/Wk per child per week to make it $250 a week for two children?

Im putting my site together and revising my rates, contract and stuff so I want to get this right so I can get my new contracts made up and stick to it
Old 03-21-2012, 09:18 AM

Siblings do not recieve discounted care so they should not get a discounted rate. IMP.

Rates are based per spot not based on how many kids come from one family.

I know in some areas sibling discounts are normal but I don't give them and no one even asks here.

One thing to keep in mind also is that when a family with multiple kids leave it is harder to find new clients because you are having to fill multiple spaces so a good rule of thumb is to require a 2 week notice PER child. So if a family has two kids, they will need to give 4 weeks notice of withdrawl.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Daycare.com Member

I also do not give a sibling discount.

I did when I first opened but it quickly made me resentful as I could have filled that spot with a single child and recieved full fees for it. Siblings are, to me, a financial risk because when they leave I have to fill two spots instead of one. They also account for 40% of my income, as I only have 5 spots, and that can be a lot to lose at once.

I can't afford to discount the quality care I provide, especially considering the demand for daycare in my area.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Hurt Betrayed Confused

Using your rates as an example, I would tell them that I normally charge $140 per week, but will lower it to $125 for a sibling discount. It's a win-win.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Siblings do not recieve discounted care so they should not get a discounted rate. IMP.

I know in some areas sibling discounts are normal but I don't give them and no one even asks here.

One thing to keep in mind also is that when a family with multiple kids leave it is harder to find new clients because you are having to fill multiple spaces so a good rule of thumb is to require a 2 week notice PER child. So if a family has two kids, they will need to give 4 weeks notice of withdrawl.
I like this : "Siblings do not recieve discounted care so they should not get a discounted rate"

Great Point!!

I think most providers around me do offer the discount but personally ... I think it makes it not worth it because my rates are already low.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Daycare.com Member

[quote=Blackcat31;209890]Siblings do not recieve discounted care so they should not get a discounted rate. IMP.

This!
Old 03-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I don't offer a discount either.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:18 AM

I'm another provider who doesn't do sibling discounts. I honestly don't understand the logic behind it because they are taking up a space and they eat and require my attention like everyone else!! Childcare is expensive but I'm not going to carry the burden because a family can't afford 2 kids in daycare kwim?
Old 03-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Daycare.com Member

I don't advertise a discount but I do currently give a (Small) one to one of my families. I already had 1 kid and they were in a financial bind, needing to send another kid to me and get another job. I made it 150 vs. 160 a week, which is not a huge deal to me but the 40.00 a month helped fill up their tank one time a week, so they are very grateful.

Unless it's a situation like that, where I was already established with a good family who needed help, I wouldn't offer it.Like everyone said-our job isn't any less just because two or more kids are related.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

I used to offer sibling discounts, but not any more.

I do offer a discount if you pay monthly and have a sibling.

If you pay monthly in advance, you get a $50.00 discount. If you are late with payment, late with pick up, you don't qualify for the discount the next month.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:41 AM
Daycare.com Member

I agree with everyone else. We shouldn't give sibling discounts. I currently do but plan to not take on anymore at a discounted rate. Right now I have 3 sets of siblings. I lose $180 per month on sibling discounts at this time and you do begin to get resentful of that fact. I will not mess with my other families rates at this time but I will not discunt any new incoming sibling groups.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Daycare.com Member

If you want to offer a discount to some that money needs to come from somewhere. So to offer a 10% discount for some you need to raise everyones rates 5 to 10%.

Why should the parents of one child subsidize the parents with multiples.What if that parent with one makes far less income.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:59 PM

I wouldnt offer the discount...you have a small group anyway and that ratio alone should be worth the extra expense.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:11 PM

I charge $90 for 1, and recently quoted $140 for 2 fulltime, infant and preschooler, they thought it was too much. Our rates are terrible.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:24 PM

I never offered a discount and will not offer a discount.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:22 AM

No discounts... and anyone who asks or expects one is rude.

How would they feel if their boss at work came to them and said "My wife and I just had another baby....so in order to keep more money in my pocket, I am reducing your pay. However, I still expect you to do exactly the same amount of work."

Asking us to take a cut in pay to keep more money in their pocket is just as rude.