Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Abigail's Avatar
Abigail Abigail is offline
Child Care Provider
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,414
Default Did You Create Shade In Your Yard?

Our house doesn't have any shade except for along side the house in the early morning. I'm really thinking about building something for shade right now like a big actual roof that is 8-10 feet high so adults can walk under it or even 12 feet high so all our big toys and little toys can fit under it. I was thinking about like what you see at a picnic area for the shelter space? Has anyone ever done anything to make shade? We're going to put in trees but those will take a long time so I need something for right now too!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-22-2012, 12:05 PM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

I've been considering something similar. Aren't there tarp-like things made for this?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-22-2012, 12:05 PM
renodeb's Avatar
renodeb renodeb is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Reno, Nv
Posts: 837
Default

I have seen a few ways to get shade. One provider I saw used a couple of big buckets with cement and some big umbrellas. I have one of those portable shades.
Deb
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-22-2012, 12:29 PM
JeepGirl6's Avatar
JeepGirl6 JeepGirl6 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 327
Default Shade

We have thought about buying one of those canopy tops people use camping and put picnic tables under... They run around $100 though so thats why we have held off
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-22-2012, 01:21 PM
AnythingsPossible AnythingsPossible is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by renodeb View Post
I have seen a few ways to get shade. One provider I saw used a couple of big buckets with cement and some big umbrellas. I have one of those portable shades.
Deb
This is what I plan on doing this summer in the areas of yard that don't have shade. If you get the adjustable ones, you can move it around to block where the sun is coming from.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-22-2012, 01:28 PM
mac60's Avatar
mac60 mac60 is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Northeast
Posts: 1,597
Default

Google sail cloths, those are pretty innovative and inexpensive. Or a yard canopy, or actually plant a couple trees. I have a small dwarf crabapple tree and it is small yet gives off lots of shade.

What about those canopies that people park a car under, about $100 and size 10 x 20. The are inexpensive options out there.
__________________
mom to many.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-22-2012, 01:39 PM
Lianne's Avatar
Lianne Lianne is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 534
Default

I have a simple canopy, similar to this

http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-10-Foot-...7718627&sr=1-6

It cost me $70 last summer and in the fall I took it down and stored it. I just put it up this weekend and I will get this year out of it, for sure. I may not get a third summer out of it but for $70, I'm ok with that. I keep the kids picnic tables, the adult lawn chairs and a small adult sized table under it but it could easily be used over toys, a sandbox, etc.

I bought a second one from Walmart that's a little more portable and easier to collapse. I paid $50 for it and used it for trips to the park or to shade the wading pool. It pops open and closed easily. I found it in the camping section, it's the kind you often see at craft fairs, etc.

I moved this spring and my new backyard has lots of trees that keep one half of the yard shaded all day and the rest is quite sunny, seems to be a perfect mix so far.
__________________
Doing what I love and loving what I do.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-22-2012, 02:48 PM
spud912's Avatar
spud912 spud912 is offline
Trix are for kids
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,314
Default

Here's mine:
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud912 View Post
Here's mine:
Holy crap! Your daycare play area looks that nice????
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Abigail's Avatar
Abigail Abigail is offline
Child Care Provider
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,414
Default

Spud, what type of mats do you have under your play equipment? How much were they?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Sprouts's Avatar
Sprouts Sprouts is offline
Licensed Provider
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lianne View Post
I have a simple canopy, similar to this

http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-10-Foot-...7718627&sr=1-6

It cost me $70 last summer and in the fall I took it down and stored it. I just put it up this weekend and I will get this year out of it, for sure. I may not get a third summer out of it but for $70, I'm ok with that. I keep the kids picnic tables, the adult lawn chairs and a small adult sized table under it but it could easily be used over toys, a sandbox, etc.

I bought a second one from Walmart that's a little more portable and easier to collapse. I paid $50 for it and used it for trips to the park or to shade the wading pool. It pops open and closed easily. I found it in the camping section, it's the kind you often see at craft fairs, etc.

I moved this spring and my new backyard has lots of trees that keep one half of the yard shaded all day and the rest is quite sunny, seems to be a perfect mix so far.
I have the same exact one and it's great! I also got it on sale I think for 88, if u keep it in ur cart it will tell u if the price goes down, just keep checking
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Sprouts's Avatar
Sprouts Sprouts is offline
Licensed Provider
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud912 View Post
Here's mine:
I love that! Where did u get that from?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-22-2012, 08:15 PM
spud912's Avatar
spud912 spud912 is offline
Trix are for kids
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,314
Default

Thanks everyone! I really do love our playground! I purchased all of the playground equipment before I started daycare in anticipation of getting licensed. Licensing requires shade and padding to withstand a 2 foot fall. Since I live in a rental, I could not do traditional padding (sand, mulch, etc.) because it would obviously involve a major alteration to the landlord's landscaping. The awning had to be approved through our hoa first and then I purchased it on amazon for ~$200 (although I looked it up just now and it's not for sale anymore). It's held up to several high-wind storms and Arizona monsoons, so I'm impressed! Besides being very large and awkward, it's fairly lightweight and can be moved easily if you have a second person to help with the other side. I love how it's butted up to the house because it drastically cools the bedrooms on that side due to the added shade.

The mats were purchased from greatmats.com (if I remember correctly). They were very pricey and much more expensive than I anticipated spending. They ended up costing over $1000 with taxes and delivery (they had to be pallet-dropped). They are really nice recycled tire mats and are meant for playgrounds, so they have been tested to withstand a 2 foot fall (and I think they advertised them to be tested chemically and approved for children's playgrounds). They do tend to get dirty easily and it's difficult to remove dirt build-up, but they are surprisingly cool to the touch (I figured in the Arizona sun they would be scorching, but that's not the case at all!).
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-17-2013, 09:13 PM
aforwwfora
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud912 View Post
Thanks everyone! I really do love our playground! I purchased all of the playground equipment before I started daycare in anticipation of getting licensed. Licensing requires shade and padding to withstand a 2 foot fall. Since I live in a rental, I could not do traditional padding (sand, mulch, etc.) because it would obviously involve a major alteration to the landlord's landscaping. The awning had to be approved through our hoa first and then I purchased it on amazon for ~$200 (although I looked it up just now and it's not for sale anymore). It's held up to several high-wind storms and Arizona monsoons, so I'm impressed! Besides being very large and awkward, it's fairly lightweight and can be moved easily if you have a second person to help with the other side. I love how it's butted up to the house because it drastically cools the bedrooms on that side due to the added shade.

The mats were purchased from greatmats.com (if I remember correctly). They were very pricey and much more expensive than I anticipated spending. They ended up costing over $1000 with taxes and delivery (they had to be pallet-dropped). They are really nice recycled tire mats and are meant for playgrounds, so they have been tested to withstand a 2 foot fall (and I think they advertised them to be tested chemically and approved for children's playgrounds). They do tend to get dirty easily and it's difficult to remove dirt build-up, but they are surprisingly cool to the touch (I figured in the Arizona sun they would be scorching, but that's not the case at all!).
You can also review this site for playground flooring last time i was bought from them their quality and price are perfect.

rubberflooring-online.com/product-category/playground-flooring-and-mats/
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-17-2013, 10:55 PM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is online now
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,142
Default

I put up a canopy.



I have a small patio instead of a yard so my canopy covers the majority of it and I attached it to the porch roof and the fence but you can easily put posts up and hang one from those. They're similar to tarps but made from canvas and can get them in different sizes and shapes.
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-18-2013, 05:44 AM
LK5kids's Avatar
LK5kids LK5kids is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,116
Default

I have zero shade except for a tiny spot. We have sand based soil that really heats up. Yuck! My plan is a shelter like in a park, canopy or other covering. I love the look of the gazebo type Sprouts has! This is the time of year to buy one!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

yes I have lots of shade
man made
with wood fence around it
10 feet by 20
my back yard gets very hot in summer even in shade but I have also and huge front covered pouch with railing and gate that is cool , we eat and play there in hot afternoons
now I am working on the shade over the sand box where I also just planted huge grape vines
I also just planted last year a small plum tree for years from now shade too
this has of course taking time and money
so even a pop up shelter would work to start
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-19-2013, 05:58 AM
Meeko's Avatar
Meeko Meeko is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,049
Default

I have a lot of surrounding trees, so we have shade somewhere in the yard regardless of the time.

However, one of these days I want a cover over my patio. I want a large heavy duty pergola that will stand up to the canyon winds and Utah winters. With maybe vines for more shade and yet will let some air and light through.

Dreams!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
houses, picnic area, roofs, shade, trees

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I Claim Yard Sale Purchases With No Receipt? Nickel Daycare and Taxes 5 07-16-2012 08:48 AM
Daycare Yard Sign JeepGirl6 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 06-04-2012 12:07 PM
DCK's Playing In The Front Yard? SunshineMama Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 18 05-03-2012 08:23 AM
Create Photo Gallery For Children aliceli Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 10-28-2010 08:55 PM
Can You Count Your Yard? ddnanny13 Daycare and Taxes 3 10-04-2010 12:30 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:36 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming