Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice Please
sweet_cakes 07:01 PM 07-16-2014
Sorry so long!

When families enroll I give them two options. A daily rate of $30 for up to 10 hours of care. OR an hourly rate (which is used for drop in care) of $5 per hour for the first child and $2 per hour for each additional sibling.

I started doing drop in care for a family a few months ago. So far the family has been in my care just a couple of times for no more then a couple of hours each time. When they enrolled they chose the hourly rate. When mom and I originally talked before meeting she requested an hourly rate for drop in care....

The children are supposed to be in my care tomorrow. I open at 6:30am. DCD has a meeting and needed care at 6:00am. I explained that I don't open that early and mom confirmed I would see them at 6:30am. A little while later she asked if DCD could drop off at 6:15am due to the importance of the meeting and his driving time. I agreed to make a one-time exception (I do understand how it can be hard juggling schedules sometimes) and said there was no need to pay extra (after DCD offered) for bringing them 15 minutes early.

She thanked me and then wanted to confirm everything for tomorrow because DCD is nervous. Two children will be in my care from 6:15am to about 5:45/6:00pm. Essentially 12 hours. That would make it a total of of $84 for one day. Mom said they only planned for $50 for the entire day.

My question is, they chose the hourly rate because they need care so sporadically. Am I being unreasonable for sticking to my rate (which again they chose). You ladies are veterans...please help!
Daycaregranny 07:08 PM 07-16-2014
I would stick to my hourly rate and offer her the option of switching to the regular daily rate as an option in the future. She knows what your guidelines are and is trying to work you that's all.
daycare 07:11 PM 07-16-2014
What does your contact say about switching from hourly to flat rate?
If there is no loop hole heck ya she owes you hourly

I would be copying your policy and tell her sorry you chose an hourly rate
llpa 07:12 PM 07-16-2014
Definitely stick to your rate! They are bullying you in a nice way kwim? First the early start, then the "ohhhh, we didn't plan for more than $50" oh, poor them so what does that nean? That you should work for free??? Your paycheck is as important as Dads meeting, right? They set the pay rate and now they should pay it!
Blackcat31 07:12 PM 07-16-2014
The cheaper daily option should only be available to regularly attending children IMHO.

The should pay $84.
sweet_cakes 07:22 PM 07-16-2014
I don't have a clause about switching from daily to hourly. I have never been down the road of a parent wanting to switch and it is my fault for not foreseeing a parent wanting to. You bet I'll be adding one now though.

The contract states:

I agree to the following pay schedule:
Daily Rate or Hourly Rate (please circle one).

And then directly below it is states:

Hourly Rate is charged at a a rate of $5 per hour for a the first child and an additional $2 per hour for each additional sibling.

Daily Rate is charged at a rate of $30 per day for up to but not to exceed 10 hours per day.

Then at the bottom it says We ___________ parents to, _____________ have read and understand the entire parent handbook and agree to abide by all policies listed, etc, etc, etc. Then they sign and date it.

I'd like to add, I have a late fee of $5 per half hour per child past the 10 hour mark for families who pay a daily rate. So - even if she was on the daily rate her total would be $70 for 12 hours ($30 for the first child, $20 for the second, plus late fees). Far more then the $50 she budgeted.
sugar buzz 07:34 PM 07-16-2014
Originally Posted by Daycaregranny:
I would stick to my hourly rate and offer her the option of switching to the regular daily rate as an option in the future. She knows what your guidelines are and is trying to work you that's all.
Can you imagine trying to do this in any other type of business? Oh...I was only planning on paying the price of a cut for a cut and highlights....
preschoolteacher 07:47 PM 07-16-2014
They need to pay the drop in rare unless they're regularly scheduled.

To me, it sounds like she KNEW she was meant to pay the drop-in rate and us trying to pull one over on you. She "wanted to confirm" is she wanted to see if you'd let her get away with it.

Don't!
cheerfuldom 08:16 PM 07-16-2014
No more deals! Tell her no! She agreed to your rates. $50 does not even cover the daily rate, should you even offer it to her! (which I am sure you wont). She needs drop in care and yes, you are going to have to pay a pretty penny for two kids to dropped off at random for 12 hours. really. go try and find a sitter to do that for $50 a day at random. If the meeting is that important, she is going to have to come up with $34 extra dollars. not your problem. I would reply

"Oh I understand that you have a budget but my rates were clear at enrollment. If you cannot afford the rates you agreed to you, I understand if you need to find alternative care. Let me know by X time what you decide. Thank you"

subtle but firm saying no deal hunny!
AmyKidsCo 08:35 PM 07-16-2014
So you're opening 15 minutes early for 2 children who will then spend the next 11.5 hours with you, and you're wondering if YOU'RE unreasonable? Not a chance!

If you want to be nice you could give her the option of paying $84 for the hourly fee as previously agreed upon, or $70 for the daily fee. IF you want to be nicer than you're already being.
Laurel 02:38 AM 07-17-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
So you're opening 15 minutes early for 2 children who will then spend the next 11.5 hours with you, and you're wondering if YOU'RE unreasonable? Not a chance!

If you want to be nice you could give her the option of paying $84 for the hourly fee as previously agreed upon, or $70 for the daily fee. IF you want to be nicer than you're already being.

If you do charge $70 you could also tell her that from now on you would have to charge her the daily rate every time. No going back and forth. If she wants to switch then I'd let her switch but it would be every single time. She doesn't get to pay hourly when it comes out to less money and then daily when it comes out to less money. She needs to choose one or the other. Well she already did so you wouldn't have to change at all but if you do then on days she only comes for 2 or 3 hours she pays for the whole day.

Laurel
itlw8 06:41 AM 07-17-2014
I guess they will either bring the children later or pick them up earlier if they only want to pay $50
sweet_cakes 06:48 AM 07-17-2014
I received a text message at about 9:00 last night saying that DCD would be dropping them off at about 10:15am. Great, works for me. But if the meeting was so important that I needed to open early then why the sudden time change?

Care for this family is super sporadic. When mom and I originally spoke I gave her daily pricing and she asked if I offered hourly because she would need care so infrequently. So, I did. The first time I cared for the children was the middle of May. Then no further care as given until last week. Given their infrequency I think an hourly rate is more then fair. If she wants to bring them at least once a week, I would happily switch them to daily. But I will not allow flip flopping on plans.

I do need to add a clause about switching - any recommendations on how to word that so families know they can cannot flip flop back and forth?

And THANK YOU for confirming what I was already thinking. Sometimes it helps to hear that
cheerfuldom 06:55 AM 07-17-2014
Originally Posted by sweet_cakes:
I received a text message at about 9:00 last night saying that DCD would be dropping them off at about 10:15am. Great, works for me. But if the meeting was so important that I needed to open early then why the sudden time change?

Care for this family is super sporadic. When mom and I originally spoke I gave her daily pricing and she asked if I offered hourly because she would need care so infrequently. So, I did. The first time I cared for the children was the middle of May. Then no further care as given until last week. Given their infrequency I think an hourly rate is more then fair. If she wants to bring them at least once a week, I would happily switch them to daily. But I will not allow flip flopping on plans.

I do need to add a clause about switching - any recommendations on how to word that so families know they can cannot flip flop back and forth?

And THANK YOU for confirming what I was already thinking. Sometimes it helps to hear that
It is always an emergency until you charge a fee for the inconvenience and then suddenly they work something out. I am not surprised at all.
starz0123 07:17 AM 07-17-2014
I offer daily rate for Permanent Bookings only ie regular attendance & nominated sessions booked in advance (2 week written notice to change or cancel a permanent booking and avoid paying the session)

Casual bookings are ad-hoc require minimum notice (subject to availability) I charge an hourly rate (higher fee) than permanent booking to reflect inconsistence income.

If a parent is unhappy about hourly fee they are more than welcome to change to permanent booking if I have an opening otherwise I can put them down on waiting list for openings until then I have casual vacancies.
Blackcat31 07:26 AM 07-17-2014

My handbook states,

Families must submit requests for contract changes 2 weeks in advance of the change. Changes to rates and attendance days/times are not valid without providers written approval.
sally 07:37 AM 07-17-2014
I have a family that is sometimes 5 day a week and sometimes only 3 days. At the beginning I offered them a weekly rate but they chose hourly. When summer started and they were paying for both kids again full time the dcm asked about a sibling discount which I said no to and offered the weekly rate again. They said no and said they just needed to budget it in. Some weeks they don't pay a lot because they are only in care 20 hours but other weeks they pay much more than the weekly rate is but its their choice.
daycare 07:40 AM 07-17-2014
I don't do anymore hourly rates, but I do require payment in full in advance for drop in. There are ZERO refunds for drop in, unless you can give me a full 48 hour notice of cancellation.
I require that you put your start and stop time down at the time of reservation. You can only attend during time listed.

If you booked 8 am and don't show until 9am, well that's on you. I still get my full rate of pay.
Naptime yet? 10:00 AM 07-17-2014
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I guess they will either bring the children later or pick them up earlier if they only want to pay $50
My thoughts exactly. Plus, if they only bring the kids sporadically, what are they griping about?
sweet_cakes 07:16 PM 07-17-2014
Thanks ladies.

I guess the kids went to a friends house this morning before dcd dropped off here so he could attend his meeting. When she enrolled she told me she did not have any friends/family who she could list a an emergency contact. If you trust them to watch your children in a pinch caused by you, why not trust them on an emergency form?

And after the rate fiasco yesterday, she sent me a text this afternoon asking if they can pay one lump sum next week since they are supposed to attend Tuesday.

I feel like I am being trolled.
Blackcat31 06:28 AM 07-18-2014
Thanks ladies.

I guess the kids went to a friends house this morning before dcd dropped off here so he could attend his meeting. When she enrolled she told me she did not have any friends/family who she could list a an emergency contact. If you trust them to watch your children in a pinch caused by you, why not trust them on an emergency form?

And after the rate fiasco yesterday, she sent me a text this afternoon asking if they can pay one lump sum next week since they are supposed to attend Tuesday.

I feel like I am being trolled.
What does she mean by "one lump sum"?
sweet_cakes 01:16 PM 07-18-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
What does she mean by "one lump sum"?
She told me they would likely need care this upcoming Tuesday. She was asking if she could pay for yesterday and Tuesday, on Tuesday.
Blackcat31 01:22 PM 07-18-2014
She told me they would likely need care this upcoming Tuesday. She was asking if she could pay for yesterday and Tuesday, on Tuesday.
Oh okay. I was thinking she meant like a bulk price discount...Like if she pays for both days now, she gets the cheaper rate.

Thanks for clarifying.
TwinKristi 01:46 PM 07-18-2014
I've stopped doing things out of the kindness of my heart because of this crap. People just take advantage every chance they get. I also think it shows more professionalism, I've learned that from this forum actually. I had a mom need care 1.5hrs before her normal time. My license shows I open at 6:30 but I don't have the need so everyone comes at or after 8 now unless prearranged. I charged her $20, I bill drop ins at $10/hr and don't do half hours. I have a mom who asked if I could watch DCB some extra hours because her mom is going out of town and she watches him. I agreed to certain days/times at my $10/hr rate, no half hours. The extra hours in the next 2wks will be worth it! LOL
Reply Up