Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Big Uproar In City Close To Me
midaycare 06:29 AM 01-13-2015
Grand Rapids, MI just passed a city ordinance that any home based business may not have more than 2 clients at one time on their property. This affects home daycares, as of right now (the way I understand it).

I'm sure it will be challenged, but what are your thoughts?
midaycare 06:34 AM 01-13-2015
http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/loc...care/21654231/

There is the link. Grand Rapids is a huge city, so I hope others don't follow...
mommyneedsadayoff 06:59 AM 01-13-2015
what a hot mess they created! I hope it is overturned! Why on earth would you lump medical marijuana and home daycares into the same regulations? Shaking my head at the stupidity of some lawmakers.
Indoorvoice 07:02 AM 01-13-2015
I live near Grand Rapids too. From what I understand, the ordinance was created for medical marijuana in-home businesses and they realized daycares could fit under the umbrella too. I think they will amend it. There is no possible way this could work. There are a lot of low to middle class in GR who need in-home daycare for cost and convenience. If they don't change this, fcc in GR will be non-existent. Where would all those kids go?
midaycare 07:36 AM 01-13-2015
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
I live near Grand Rapids too. From what I understand, the ordinance was created for medical marijuana in-home businesses and they realized daycares could fit under the umbrella too. I think they will amend it. There is no possible way this could work. There are a lot of low to middle class in GR who need in-home daycare for cost and convenience. If they don't change this, fcc in GR will be non-existent. Where would all those kids go?
Maybe government sponsored free care? Or the government will regulate prices so it is "affordable"?
Play Care 09:33 AM 01-13-2015
In my state the state regulations for day care trump any city ordinance.
Laurel 09:40 AM 01-13-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Same here.

Laurel
Laurel 09:43 AM 01-13-2015
Well I guess you could get into a new business. Was that bad to say?

Just cross out daycare on your sign and write in Home pot depot. Oh gosh, I'm feeling nutty today.

Laurel
Cradle2crayons 10:24 AM 01-13-2015
Originally Posted by Laurel:
Well I guess you could get into a new business. Was that bad to say?

Just cross out daycare on your sign and write in Home pot depot. Oh gosh, I'm feeling nutty today.

Laurel
New business name....

DOPE AND DROP... See... It could still be a daycare but more... Covert....
AuntTami 10:25 AM 01-13-2015
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
New business name....

OMG thank you. I needed that laugh tody

daycarediva 10:36 AM 01-13-2015
New business name....

OMG I just died laughing! It could go either way!
melilley 10:45 AM 01-13-2015
You gals are hilarious!

I think it's bs. I really really hope it gets changed, it makes no sense. Who can survive off of taking care of just 2 kids? I heard that there's a meeting today. Hopefully the providers there get through to whoever they have to.
midaycare 12:12 PM 01-13-2015
Originally Posted by melilley:
You gals are hilarious!

I think it's bs. I really really hope it gets changed, it makes no sense. Who can survive off of taking care of just 2 kids? I heard that there's a meeting today. Hopefully the providers there get through to whoever they have to.
Amen to that.
Laurel 12:53 PM 01-13-2015
New business name....

Omg, that is a GREAT name.
Bookworm 12:56 PM 01-13-2015
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
I agree. There is no way they could enforce this. Did anybody stop to think about what would happen to FCCs if they are forced to give away 70-80% of their income.
SquirrellyMama 04:06 AM 01-14-2015
I was thinking no more than 2 parents (clients) could be there at the same time. I didn't think about the kids. Not that only letting 2 parents be there at a time would work either.

So dumb.

Kelly
originalkat 07:13 AM 01-14-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I wish that were true here! We always have to follow City Ordinance. In fact our licensing inspectors are city employees!
originalkat 07:24 AM 01-14-2015
How ridiculous! The city is really making themselves look ignorant. What kind of city makes a decision without thinking through who it affects? Its almost like they decided to make a "blanket ordinance" and then see who complains?!? Really, it appalls me me how stupid people are.
midaycare 09:41 AM 01-14-2015
Originally Posted by originalkat:
How ridiculous! The city is really making themselves look ignorant. What kind of city makes a decision without thinking through who it affects? Its almost like they decided to make a "blanket ordinance" and then see who complains?!? Really, it appalls me me how stupid people are.
Exactly
Tags:michigan regulations
Reply Up