Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Yet another Preventable Tragedy...
daycarediva 10:17 AM 01-27-2015
http://www.reddit.com/r/Assistance/c..._for_his_life/

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/...he-stairs.html

I just came across this on a site I frequent (imgur). The link's are to the Dad's story of events and the news story. They are thinking he was shaken.
preschoolteacher 12:05 PM 01-27-2015
So very sad, but I am wondering HOW it could have been prevented? Let's say the provider and her husband are telling the truth: The 3-year-old fell down the stairs.

In my state, you don't have to have stairs gated or made inaccessible for children who are 3 years old.

Even if you were supervising, you might not have been able to catch or prevent the fall.

I don't know of any rule or law that says a 3-year-old can't walk up or down stairs independently.

Personally, we don't use stairs at my daycare. Even when we are stepping off the stoop onto the sidewalk outside my front door, I stand beside each kid--and they are all 2.5 years old.

But when I worked at a preschool with 3-year-olds, there was no concern about the children going up/down the stairs alone.

What do you think?
sahm1225 09:22 PM 01-27-2015
I was thinking the same as preschoolteacher.

My son was 4 and he fell down the stairs while I was right behind him and I couldn't catch him. He had the worst bruises from it & I
Couldn't prevent it (I unlocked the gate & I Couldn't break his fall).

This might be a dumb question but i will ask anyway - I thought shaken baby was only for babies?
daycarediva 02:44 AM 01-28-2015
They have arrested the husband of the babysitter..

Preventable because the injuries sustained are not plausible with the story from the adults responsible. No skull fracture, no obvious bump on the head or bruising.

I was looking it up after Aiden's father posted, and apparently anyone can get SBS if shaken hard enough, although it's usually called AHT-Abusive Head Trauma.
permanentvacation 06:45 AM 01-28-2015
I was going to say the same thing Daycarediva just said. It was preventable because the child did not fall down the steps according to the lack of evidence to that fact on the child's body. The child did not have bruising or damage to the outside of his body to coincide with falling down steps.

However, all the damage to the child DOES point to him having being shaken violently. Which says to me that the adult allowed themselves to put their hands on the child when they were so angry/irritated that they violently shook the child out of frustration instead of just stepping away from the child because they knew they were in the wrong frame of mind to be handling a child at that time.

My ex-husband shook our first daughter when she was about a month old. She was asleep in her crib in her room. My husband, her father and I were watching television in the living room. She woke up and started fussing a little. He and I started to get up to go get her and he happened to get up faster than I did, so I sat back down and let him go got her.

The next thing I heard was him yelling, "shut the f*** up! repeatedly at her. So I ran through the apartment to find them. They were in our bedroom and he was holding our baby up with her face about a foot away from his with her just above his face and was shaking her violently and quickly jerking her back and forth while yelling at her. I started grabbing and trying to get her from him while yelling at him, "STOP! You're going to kill her!" I overpowered him and got her away from him. For the most part, she's perfectly fine, except that she still, at age 21, has black out spells when she's too emotionally upset. The doctors said that could be a result of her having been shaken. I'm glad I was right in the apartment when he did that and was able to get her from him before he shook her too hard or too long to cause worse damage.

But all he had to do, when she started getting him upset (by not stopping to cry), was to yell for me to come get her. He just had to put her back in her crib and say, "I can't deal with this right now." and tell me to go get her. I was right there!

So, yes, the story in the link that daycare diva posted could have been prevented if the babysitter or husband (whichever actually harmed the child) had just realized that she/he couldn't handle whatever was going on at the moment and chose not to put her/his hands on the child, but to step back and relax herself/himself first then take care of whatever needed to be taken care of. And in this case, as in mine, there were TWO adults that were there, so when the one adult got frustrated, instead of putting his/her hands on the child, they could have called for the other adult and let them handle whatever needed to be taken care of.

You NEVER put your hands on children (or anyone for that matter) when you are angry.
Controlled Chaos 10:46 AM 01-28-2015
Either way, its just sad
Annalee 10:55 AM 01-28-2015
These children that are being abused and even killed amazes me. We are into all kinds of sports, organized and yard play, in my family. I have seen my own kids land on the trampoline in a way that I was hoping they were able to get up My point being, these people that actually hurt these babies that are so limber to begin with have some anger-wrath with major strength because it is not that easy for a young child to break a bone. Sad that the offender can't just walk away instead of picking the crying child up.
Febby 11:07 AM 01-28-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I was looking it up after Aiden's father posted, and apparently anyone can get SBS if shaken hard enough, although it's usually called AHT-Abusive Head Trauma.
Yup. My state requires us to receive training on pediatric AHT (I actually helped a friend with hers last night). It's most common in infants, but it can happen at any age (and the incidences of AHT spike back up a little bit during potty training).

If I remember correctly, throwing a child/infant hard against a soft surface (like a couch or mattress) can cause similar damage to shaking without many, if any, external injuries.
daycarediva 11:22 AM 01-28-2015
Originally Posted by Febby:
Yup. My state requires us to receive training on pediatric AHT (I actually helped a friend with hers last night). It's most common in infants, but it can happen at any age (and the incidences of AHT spike back up a little bit during potty training).

If I remember correctly, throwing a child/infant hard against a soft surface (like a couch or mattress) can cause similar damage to shaking without many, if any, external injuries.
I think training in that would be a great idea! Most people are aware of SBS, but aren't aware shaking is still deadly after infancy! I had never hear of AHT, but came across many cases of it when I looked it up.
Reply Up