Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Alternate Pick Up Issues
daycarediva 04:58 PM 05-15-2015
Both parents need to work until 5:45-6 two nights per week. They have the grandmother picking up.

I am unwilling to work past 5:30, and all but one other child are gone at/before 5. These two play well together and come into my dining room and do table activities until they're picked up at 5:30. In Sept when that other child ages out, all of my kids will be gone between 4:30-5.

Grandma has picked up late, twice now. The first time I let it slide and gave a notice of fees and checked waived-one time only. They had never picked up late before, that was 2 weeks ago.

Tonight, grandma was 51 minutes late (contracted 5:30, picked up at 6:21). They are absolutely getting charged. My own kids were with grandma and I had a kid free evening planned.

Would you include something about not allowing further late fees? Dcm made it sounds like she KNEW grandma was going to be late but didn't make alternate plans.

I DO NOT want the money, I'd rather have my time.
Unregistered 06:47 PM 05-15-2015
It's Play Care, not logged in.

I would absolutely let her know that one more "strike" and they are out. I'm the same way in that the late fee is supposed to be a deterrent, I don't want clients thinking they can just toss the fee to me and it's okay.

And why is it that Friday seems to the the day clients want to be late?!
Unregistered 07:38 PM 05-15-2015
Wow what nerve!!! What did grandma say??? What will you charge for late fees??
laundrymom 08:17 AM 05-16-2015
Each time my families are charged a late fee, their weekly rate is increased by $5 per week for six months.
childcaremom 08:50 AM 05-16-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Each time my families are charged a late fee, their weekly rate is increased by $5 per week for six months.
I love this idea!
Rockgirl 09:05 AM 05-16-2015
I'm with you on I'd rather have my time than the money! My late pickup fee is stiff...$2 per minute, beginning at 5:31. I don't do the 'per 15 minutes, or portion of', because I know for a fact parents would use the whole 15 minutes! It is very rare for me to have a late pickup. I'd have made $102 off of that grandma!
kitykids3 11:24 AM 05-16-2015
Yeah, you can do no more late fees. Just give them notice that next time they are late, it will be immediate termination. Especially if you have a feeling mom knew and didn't prevent the 51 minutes that's total lack of respect for you. They'll just keep doing it.
Thriftylady 11:44 AM 05-16-2015
I guess it depends on if you want to keep the child. You have two choices based on that. 1. Increase the late fees to an amount they won't want to pay or 2. Give a three strikes and out notice. Either way would solve your issue. If you choose the first option, make SURE the late fee is crazy. Like $5 per minute late or something to the like, otherwise they will just pay it and be happy it worked out for them.
childcaremom 12:10 PM 05-16-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Both parents need to work until 5:45-6 two nights per week. They have the grandmother picking up.

I am unwilling to work past 5:30, and all but one other child are gone at/before 5. These two play well together and come into my dining room and do table activities until they're picked up at 5:30. In Sept when that other child ages out, all of my kids will be gone between 4:30-5.

Grandma has picked up late, twice now. The first time I let it slide and gave a notice of fees and checked waived-one time only. They had never picked up late before, that was 2 weeks ago.

Tonight, grandma was 51 minutes late (contracted 5:30, picked up at 6:21). They are absolutely getting charged. My own kids were with grandma and I had a kid free evening planned.

Would you include something about not allowing further late fees? Dcm made it sounds like she KNEW grandma was going to be late but didn't make alternate plans.

I DO NOT want the money, I'd rather have my time.
At that point, 6:21, were the parents done work and able to pick up? Does Grandma know that she needs to pick up by 5:30?

I charge late fees per first 15 mins, more late fees per second 15 mins and then after 30 minutes that I may term without refund of any fees.

I would charge for sure and possibly terming, esp. since mom seemed to know that Grandma would be late.

Late pick ups are my number one peeve in this business.

Sorry that happened.
Blackcat31 07:35 AM 05-18-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
At that point, 6:21, were the parents done work and able to pick up? Does Grandma know that she needs to pick up by 5:30?

I charge late fees per first 15 mins, more late fees per second 15 mins and then after 30 minutes that I may term without refund of any fees.

I would charge for sure and possibly terming, esp. since mom seemed to know that Grandma would be late.

Late pick ups are my number one peeve in this business.

Sorry that happened.
I was thinking the same thing... why didn't the parents come then?

I think you need to decide if you want the money or the time.

If you want the money, increase late fees by ALOT each time (I like Laundrymoms idea! LOL!) until you finally just terminate.

If you want the time, tell them if they pick up late again, they will be immediately terminated.

I can't believe how rude some parents can be about this.
Annalee 09:34 AM 05-18-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I was thinking the same thing... why didn't the parents come then?

I think you need to decide if you want the money or the time.

If you want the money, increase late fees by ALOT each time (I like Laundrymoms idea! LOL!) until you finally just terminate.

If you want the time, tell them if they pick up late again, they will be immediately terminated.

I can't believe how rude some parents can be about this.
Parents are like kids and feel "entitled" I am closing early today to go to out of town graduation and I have gotten "but we have no other options" several times....Bottom line, BE HERE! NO LATE PICK UPS or be terminated...yep in a text and made them all reply back so I knew they got it
LysesKids 01:22 PM 05-18-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Parents are like kids and feel "entitled" I am closing early today to go to out of town graduation and I have gotten "but we have no other options" several times....Bottom line, BE HERE! NO LATE PICK UPS or be terminated...yep in a text and made them all reply back so I knew they got it
I have asked parents to PU early too... found out they don't care and I missed appointments & classes last year because of it (I did terminate the one); I just close for the day (or say I am only available until noon so I don't stress if it's something I really can't miss, like graduation); I start at 6am... work 6 hrs and close... tuff tootsies because they know they are suppose to have a back up in place... no show, care is terminated just like you
daycarediva 11:27 AM 05-19-2015
Parents had date night. Mean while, I missed 51 minutes of my date night.

They were charged $51 and promptly gave notice. I guess grandma couldn't make it on time, which is NOT MY PROBLEM and NOT what we agreed upon. My Mom knows grandma, grandma's work closes at 5, and I am a 15 minute drive.

Good riddance, I wasn't loving the later pick ups and I had ZERO communication on this one- they just never showed. I sent both parents texts and only received a vague/non committal response from Mom that g-ma should be there by now.
Reply Up