Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Please Share Your Favorite Infant Activates
slpender 12:42 PM 02-17-2016
I only have 2 infants right now they are both 8 months old I would like to start to add just a little bit of structure to our day..this is mostly for me I find my days
to drag on a bit.. Please share your favorite infant books, songs, games and sensory play activites.
Unregistered 02:18 PM 02-17-2016
activities about object permanence are all the rage for this age They never seem to tire of hiding something in a box or bag, under a blanket and PEEK A BOO! lol there it is! Anything along those lines. Like how kids love to watch you tube videos of unwrappings/unboxings. No, I don't mena show them those videos, I mean put a plastic dino wrapped up in play doh and sit with them and pull it all off! Look Stegosaurus (or a doggie or whatever!). No, I don't mean sit a tray of playdoh and tiny plastic toys down in front of a 8 month old and go get the nap stuff ready, but if you are able to facilitate with those materials, they love it.
Controlled Chaos 12:32 PM 02-18-2016
I wouldnt do well with just infants - so hats off to you.

I would make a schedule for you to break up the day and make it go faster.
EX:
Tummy time on blanket with purple box of toys
Sitting practice with mirror
Sing songs (I sing along with raffi when uninspired)
Sensory (Giant pom poms, sensory tubes)
Story time (read them ANY book at all - could be 50 shades lol...ok maybe not, but its less about content at this age and more about just being read to)

I would put those activities in between their naps and feedings in an order you like. It would hep me feel accomplished to check off things and see the day progress.

Nisaryn 04:36 PM 02-18-2016
Originally Posted by slpender:
I only have 2 infants right now they are both 8 months old I would like to start to add just a little bit of structure to our day..this is mostly for me I find my days
to drag on a bit.. Please share your favorite infant books, songs, games and sensory play activites.
I do infant only care and love it! I have 4 under 1yr at the moment. Anything to do with "look and find" activities, such as Peek-a-boo books or hiding items under blankets and pulling them off. Also stacking cups of all sizes are super popular at that age...I like to give them empty tupper ware and plastic containers of various sizes that they can put things in and out of. They enjoy using plastic cooking spoons to bang on things with (but not each others heads)! At this age there is really no such thing as "structure"...they are babies. I go by the philosophy of letting "babies be babies doing baby things" and have no structure do my day other than snack/meal times. They are all on their own schedules for bottles and naps. If your getting 'bored' just try getting down on the floor with them, I don't even remember what it feels like to sit on a sofa these days (LOL) because I'm always on the ground with them moving stuff around, rolling balls, stacking cups and knocking them over again. That is about as structured as it's going to get at this tender age.
MunchkinWrangler 06:54 PM 02-18-2016
Think about the milestones each one of them needs to meet. Are they working on crawling? Spread out objects and encourage them to get to them. Soft blocks and blocks of any kind are good for fine motor skills. Music and teaching them to clap their hands and 'dance.' If you can make some safe, homemade paints for fingerpainting, just use a bib or old clothes for that one! My babies always liked the baby gyms or activity centers, keeps them engaged for a while.
Reply Up