Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Smartwatch at Daycare
MomBoss 05:29 AM 01-17-2018
A child came to daycare wearing a kids smartwatch. I took it away and the parent asked why their child couldnt wear it. I said its because I dont allow toys from home, its distracting hearing the beeping alll the time especially while trying to teach and read stories. I also thought it was common sense, no daycare or school i know of would allow electronics.
If it were a regular, no sound no games, watch then it would have been fine. But why would they need to wear a smartwatch to daycare? Would any of you allow it?
Cat Herder 05:51 AM 01-17-2018
I would not have allowed it because I would not want to be responsible for it. I also am not a fan of the showboating side of it. They can start that in junior high like everyone else.

Then there is this: "Kids watches are perfect for young photographers, this durable smartwatch has more memory so kids can take tons of pictures and videos; feature camera with photo effects, video camera, voice recorder with voice-changing effects and touch screen. Best for ages: 4 to 9 years. features rechargeable Lithium Ion battery and includes micro USB cable to upload photos/videos as well as recharge the battery"
Blackcat31 05:52 AM 01-17-2018
I don't allow any items from home. period.

One of the biggest reasons is I am paid to supervise the child not the child's toys or items from home.

Also many of the smart watches have recording capabilities. Recording anyone (child or adult) in my home is a direct violation of my privacy policies and is a confidentiality issue.

I am sure there are providers that have no issues with them but they (ANY item brought from home) are something I simply choose not to deal with.
MomBoss 06:02 AM 01-17-2018
The funny part about that is i could look through the gallery. It goes both ways. Do they really want me to see what goes on at home lol
Blackcat31 06:06 AM 01-17-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
The funny part about that is i could look through the gallery. It goes both ways. Do they really want me to see what goes on at home lol
Do you really want to know what goes on in their home?
MomBoss 06:09 AM 01-17-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Do you really want to know what goes on in their home?
I was a little curious but then decided I may regret it later lol
hwichlaz 06:19 AM 01-17-2018
I don't mind the camera part, but audio is no bueno. And I'd hate to be held responsible if the child photographed themselves in the bathroom or something. Esp since they'd be wearing it to the bathroom.
Cat Herder 06:28 AM 01-17-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I don't mind the camera part, but audio is no bueno. And I'd hate to be held responsible if the child photographed themselves in the bathroom or something. Esp since they'd be wearing it to the bathroom.
Or other children.
amberrose3dg 06:50 AM 01-17-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Or other children.
Yup I wouldn't allow it either.
HappyEverAfter 07:01 AM 01-17-2018
I wouldn’t allow it either. My first thought was about the recording and photos you can take and how a child could easily accidentally video record or photograph a diaper change and end up with images of someone else’s half naked child. In my contract I clearly state no toys from home and this falls in toy category. Some parents may argue that it’s a watch and not a toy though. In thinking about this now, I may add a “no jewelry” rule that would cover watches. I also don’t like the idea of worrying about it getting broken and the meltdown that would ensue.
Blackcat31 07:04 AM 01-17-2018
Originally Posted by HappyEverAfter:
I wouldn’t allow it either. My first thought was about the recording and photos you can take and how a child could easily accidentally video record or photograph a diaper change and end up with images of someone else’s half naked child. In my contract I clearly state no toys from home and this falls in toy category. Some parents may argue that it’s a watch and not a toy though. In thinking about this now, I may add a “no jewelry” rule that would cover watches. I also don’t like the idea of worrying about it getting broken and the meltdown that would ensue.
Been there, done that...

DCMom: "But it's not a toy. It's a watch."
Me: "Billy, what time is it right now?"
Billy: "Huh?"

"Nice try mom, now please take the toy off Billy's wrist and take it with you or I'll have to add it to my toy collection so everyone can play with it. Bye! See you after work!!"
nannyde 07:06 AM 01-17-2018
How old is the child?
MomBoss 07:16 AM 01-17-2018
Originally Posted by nannyde:
How old is the child?
Parent says its an educational toy. But these things can be played with at home!
Homebody 07:31 AM 01-17-2018
I wouldn't allow it for a young child, like preschool age. I don't feel they would be responsible enough to keep it from getting broken, plus its too much of a distraction.

I do have a SA (a 10 yr old) who got one for Christmas. I don't think much of it because he's a really responsible kid, and doesn't spend much time playing with it when he's here, which is only about 40 minutes after school. He's going into middle school next year, and his mom got it for him so he can message her when he gets home, as he won't be coming here anymore. So, he's been practicing with it when he gets here to let her know when he arrives.

So it would just depend on the situation and how old the child is if I would allow it.
nannyde 08:57 AM 01-17-2018
Parent says its an educational toy. But these things can be played with at home!
No toys from home. No audio or video recording capable devices from home.
daycarediva 09:43 AM 01-17-2018
Nope. No electronics.

I do allow toys from home on share days, but no movies/ipads/electronics at all. (and for those toys with batteries, they get taken out or turned off).
CityGarden 09:54 AM 01-17-2018
A child came to daycare wearing a kids smartwatch. I took it away and the parent asked why their child couldnt wear it. I said its because I dont allow toys from home, its distracting hearing the beeping alll the time especially while trying to teach and read stories. I also thought it was common sense, no daycare or school i know of would allow electronics.
If it were a regular, no sound no games, watch then it would have been fine. But why would they need to wear a smartwatch to daycare? Would any of you allow it?
I would not allow it in my preschool / daycare. The first reason that comes to mind reading this post is liability - which is likely the reason I would share with the parents. The children independently wash hands, paint, make play dough, play with clay, go to the park daily, dig in sand, etc. we have plenty of toys and activities at school so there is no need for items from home and I assume no responsibility for items from home. For this reason, I do not allow toys from home other than a small stuffed animal to sleep with and their lunch which are given to children at controlled times.

Originally Posted by Homebody:
I wouldn't allow it for a young child, like preschool age. I don't feel they would be responsible enough to keep it from getting broken, plus its too much of a distraction.

I do have a SA (a 10 yr old) who got one for Christmas. I don't think much of it because he's a really responsible kid, and doesn't spend much time playing with it when he's here, which is only about 40 minutes after school. He's going into middle school next year, and his mom got it for him so he can message her when he gets home, as he won't be coming here anymore. So, he's been practicing with it when he gets here to let her know when he arrives.

So it would just depend on the situation and how old the child is if I would allow it.
Do you mind sharing what kind of watch the 10 year old has? Is it an apple watch or something else? If something else will you check and share what it is?

I ask because my dd (11) will be in middle school next year, walking home from school, going to friends sometimes after, etc. she uses a "family" flip phone but once she enters middle school I want something that we can talk and text (she cannot easily text with her flip phone) but not something that makes the internet user friendly. Her grandparents are considering giving her an iPhone and I am looking for alternatives....
Josiegirl 10:30 AM 01-17-2018
I cannot wrap my head around the fact that a 3 yo would have or need a smart watch.
Instead of worrying about specifying toys or jewelry you could also say no electronics are allowed. Why would parents send such an expensive little item on a 3 yo wrist anyways?? I've had a dcb, might have been around 4-5 at the time, who used to have the worst temper tantrums when told no and he used to throw his laptop or whatever his electronics of the month were. Kids need to prove they're responsible enough for something like that, in the first place.
I'm sure I must sound like the technology dinosaur that I am but really... smart watch for a 3 yo?
Blackcat31 11:20 AM 01-17-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I cannot wrap my head around the fact that a 3 yo would have or need a smart watch.
Instead of worrying about specifying toys or jewelry you could also say no electronics are allowed. Why would parents send such an expensive little item on a 3 yo wrist anyways?? I've had a dcb, might have been around 4-5 at the time, who used to have the worst temper tantrums when told no and he used to throw his laptop or whatever his electronics of the month were. Kids need to prove they're responsible enough for something like that, in the first place.
I'm sure I must sound like the technology dinosaur that I am but really... smart watch for a 3 yo?
Most adults aren't responsible enough for that..

Of course, I'd be willing to bet most parents would keep better track of their phone than their child though...
hwichlaz 11:52 AM 01-17-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
I would not allow it in my preschool / daycare. The first reason that comes to mind reading this post is liability - which is likely the reason I would share with the parents. The children independently wash hands, paint, make play dough, play with clay, go to the park daily, dig in sand, etc. we have plenty of toys and activities at school so there is no need for items from home and I assume no responsibility for items from home. For this reason, I do not allow toys from home other than a small stuffed animal to sleep with and their lunch which are given to children at controlled times.

Do you mind sharing what kind of watch the 10 year old has? Is it an apple watch or something else? If something else will you check and share what it is?

I ask because my dd (11) will be in middle school next year, walking home from school, going to friends sometimes after, etc. she uses a "family" flip phone but once she enters middle school I want something that we can talk and text (she cannot easily text with her flip phone) but not something that makes the internet user friendly. Her grandparents are considering giving her an iPhone and I am looking for alternatives....
I'd let her grandparents get her the iphone. It has amazing parental controls on it. You can disable EVERYTHING except for calling mom if you want to.
Homebody 12:44 PM 01-17-2018

He won't be coming today, but I will try to remember to ask tomorrow.
Homebody 03:09 PM 01-18-2018

Its called a GizmoGadget watch by LG...I think its only offered by Verizon
CityGarden 06:04 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I'd let her grandparents get her the iphone. It has amazing parental controls on it. You can disable EVERYTHING except for calling mom if you want to.
Originally Posted by Homebody:
Its called a GizmoGadget watch by LG...I think its only offered by Verizon
Thanks Homebody! Sadly we do not have Verizon that watch looks like what I would want for dd.

hwichlaz I do understand like the ease of locking down apple devices. Thanks for mentioning that I forgot about the aspect.

Still pondering....
Tags:preschool - toys, recording device, smart watch
Reply Up