Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just About Had It!!
Unregistered 03:32 PM 07-11-2018
What is it with kids today? I have two three year olds that won’t each solid food, they exist on fruit and veggie pouches and pediasure.any attempt to put real food in front of them results in crying and hysteria. Another will only eat kraft dinner made the way his mom makes it ( by the way exactly the same). Won’t eat crusts on sandwiches. The others chew the inside of the apple slices and leave the peels everywhere.and she likes to graze so could I leave some snacks out for her to pick and choose. And the topper.....the interview I had today... if I feed her grapes they need to be peeled and quartered!! Passssssssssss. I think I looked at her like she was crazy.whatever happened to handing a kid an apple off the tree and letting them have at it. When did it become a bad thing to teach your child to chew?i know it’s not the kids,it’s the parents creating these problems. My kids would have gone hungry if they didn’t eat their dinner. Wait until the next meal!! After 33 years I am ready to give up on this generation of children .
Baby Beluga 03:39 PM 07-11-2018
Raising children has changed in the years, that's for sure.

How old was the interview child? Based on the age, I don't think cutting grapes is an odd request. I would not peel grapes, but I do quarter them for all children, even my 5/6 year olds. If they are smaller grapes I just halve them.
Josiegirl 03:43 PM 07-11-2018
I peel and 1/4 grapes for my 13 mo, just 1/4 them for my 21 mo, the 4-5 yo eat them whole.
I don't understand 3 yos living on pouches and pediasure??

It's not just the food issues though. It's so many things these days that make me crazy.
Ariana 04:11 PM 07-11-2018
Wow! never knew you could peel a grape! I cut then lengthwise for babies thats it. The skin is where most of the nutrients and fibre are for most fruits.

Parents are terrified of everything. Its sad because the media makes then feel that way.
Josiegirl 04:18 PM 07-11-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Wow! never knew you could peel a grape! I cut then lengthwise for babies thats it. The skin is where most of the nutrients and fibre are for most fruits.

Parents are terrified of everything. Its sad because the media makes then feel that way.
And some parents are just the opposite. My 21 mo eats cashews(not at my house, they're too expensive!) and peanuts(again not at my house)0.
Unregistered 05:56 PM 07-11-2018
I do half grapes for 3 and under but I think by the
age of 3 kids should be able to chew food. It’s almost like the fear of choking is making the world crazy.
Blackcat31 07:25 PM 07-11-2018
Grapes....
Cut in half or not...

um.... nope... just can’t go there again...

(long time members will understand )
Ariana 09:52 AM 07-12-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Grapes....
Cut in half or not...

There’s gotta be a link!
AmyKidsCo 01:25 PM 07-12-2018
My BFF has been in FCC about as long as I have and we've both noticed that today's kids can't/don't chew. I offer what I offer and they can choose what to eat and how much.

I don't mind if they leave apple skins on or toast crusts - my current pet peeve is the 2 yr old who throws food across the table and spits it out onto the floor.
Cat Herder 01:32 PM 07-12-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:

There’s gotta be a link!
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ghlight=grapes
Josiegirl 02:28 AM 07-13-2018
That was fun. Honestly, people can say what they want about presidents, nuclear arms, drug cartels, but it's stuff like this that WWlll will start with. Women can be brutal.
Ariana 12:16 PM 07-13-2018
Boooo I didn’t respond to that thread! I always like seeing my opinions and how they change over the years....if they do!

Love the frozen treat trick!
Unregistered 07:52 PM 07-14-2018
At my daycare I serve one food at a time. Example; pb&j, then veggies, then fruit. They have to eat each one before they get the next.
LysesKids 08:23 PM 07-14-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
At my daycare I serve one food at a time. Example; pb&j, then veggies, then fruit. They have to eat each one before they get the next.
No offense, but that seems like withholding food from the child... What if the child just wants only fruits & veg one day - correct me if I am wrong, but you are saying they can't get them if they don't eat the sandwich?

I serve everything at the same time - The state rule is you can't make them eat, but you do have to offer every component, so my babes get all required items at the same time,... if they eat it fine, if not, no food till next snack or meal with exception of formula/EBM/water
Mike 06:58 AM 07-15-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Grapes....
Cut in half or not...

Sometimes threads need to be closed.
e.j. 06:37 PM 07-15-2018
The food program won't allow us to serve grapes (among other things) to kids under 4 years of age. I stopped serving them years ago since most of my kids are under 4. (Not sure if it's just the food program I belong to or if it's a statewide or nationwide decision. Based on other threads about food regs, it seems different food programs may follow different rules.)
Cat Herder 04:52 AM 07-16-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This is against licensing regulations.

All components must be served, in correct amounts for age, to be considered complete meals. The kids don't have to eat all components but they must be offered to them. This is not only true if you are on the food program but to be compliant with minimum regulations.

I, also, serve one food at a time, family style. Veggies first, proteins second, bread/starch/grains, then fruits. It allows them time to eat their veggies when they are most hungry instead of diving right into the starches and fruits as most kids do when given the choice. I have great eaters.
kidsncats 12:05 PM 07-16-2018
I've always cut them since I had my own children. I halve them. Easy to do. I guess I'd rather take the time to halve the grapes than find the need to perform the Heimlich maneuver on a child (I had to do that with a pickle once, which WAS cut into small chunks).
Tags:food - age appropriate, grapes
Reply Up