Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Started 2 New DCKs 2 Weeks Ago And Now Everyone's Sick :(
SunflowerMama 10:09 AM 08-23-2012
I started 2 new dcks from 2 different families (7 month old and 2 yr old) a couple of weeks ago and now all the dcks have a common cold.

I totally expected this for the first 4-5 weeks once all the new dcks started but neither of these 2 new kids have ever been in daycare before so I'm wondering if I should just let the parents know this is normal or just ignore it and let it pass.

I was thinking maybe just a blanket email to all the dcfs reminding them that anytime we add new friends we also add new germs and frequently kids will come down with a cold or some other illness within the first month or so but after that things should level off.

What would you do?
cheerfuldom 10:46 AM 08-23-2012
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
I started 2 new dcks from 2 different families (7 month old and 2 yr old) a couple of weeks ago and now all the dcks have a common cold.

I totally expected this for the first 4-5 weeks once all the new dcks started but neither of these 2 new kids have ever been in daycare before so I'm wondering if I should just let the parents know this is normal or just ignore it and let it pass.

I was thinking maybe just a blanket email to all the dcfs reminding them that anytime we add new friends we also add new germs and frequently kids will come down with a cold or some other illness within the first month or so but after that things should level off.

What would you do?
I would just leave it. a cold is a cold, its not big deal. if a parent is that concerned, they can approach you for reassurance. you dont have to go out of your way to say something they should know anyway....and you dont want to make it seem like you are promising the illnesses will be gone after a month or two, because you never know what will go around the daycare in the future. the only reason I would send an email like that would be if the parents as whole needed a reminder about your sickness policy, like not sending sick kids to daycare.

sometimes when we send these type of emails, it brings MORE attention to the situation, which isnt always a good thing.
youretooloud 10:52 AM 08-23-2012
That almost sounds as if the new kids started the cold. How do you know that one of your regulars didn't start the cold? Or someone in your own family?

I would hate to send an email implying that the new kids brought this into daycare.
SunflowerMama 11:58 AM 08-23-2012
I agree Cheerfuldom I'm just going to let it go.

I also didn't mean for it to imply that the new kid(s) brought it I actually meant new friends (as in new and old dcks) = new germs (for the new kids..from the old). If that makes any sense at all.
countrymom 03:45 PM 08-23-2012
Actually it's going around so it's probably a fluke
Reply Up