Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This Too Much Time Off?
cara041083 10:03 AM 05-22-2015
Ok so I have been open for over 3 years. I have had for the most part the same families. In my contract I take 1 week off at a half rate, and 3 personal days with full pay. Other then that if I close, I don't get paid and I have NEVER called in! So recently I have had some medical problems going on. I have had to have testing, and biopsy's, and one medical thing done after another. There have been times where parents were picking up and I was laying on the couch unable to get up because I was in so much pain. My husband has always came home and watched the kids (he is my sub). Not once have I taken off, or closed early. Well I have had one family that has basically been off work for the past 2 months. Either the dad was off or the mom was off. Well I decided to take next Tues off because I have to have one more thing done, and my husband asked me to take the day off and take care of myself. So I did. I also re did my contract to the following:

2 weeks off per year, 1 week at a half rate, and the second week no pay
5 pto days instead of 3 with full pay

Well when I handed it out today, the one family I mentioned above went off on me and basically said I didn't need that much time off a year and as for next Tues being off, that really put them in a bind because she goes back to work then and they can't miss anymore work. The other families really didn't say much but I could tell they wasn't happy. So Is that too much time off? This mom has really got me shaken up. I feel like I work so much and have these kids 60+ hours a week and never ask for anything or time off. She flat out said " I am sorry but I don't think 15 days off next year is fair". I honestly at this point don't know what to say.
Blackcat31 10:09 AM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by cara041083:
Ok so I have been open for over 3 years. I have had for the most part the same families. In my contract I take 1 week off at a half rate, and 3 personal days with full pay. Other then that if I close, I don't get paid and I have NEVER called in! So recently I have had some medical problems going on. I have had to have testing, and biopsy's, and one medical thing done after another. There have been times where parents were picking up and I was laying on the couch unable to get up because I was in so much pain. My husband has always came home and watched the kids (he is my sub). Not once have I taken off, or closed early. Well I have had one family that has basically been off work for the past 2 months. Either the dad was off or the mom was off. Well I decided to take next Tues off because I have to have one more thing done, and my husband asked me to take the day off and take care of myself. So I did. I also re did my contract to the following:

Well when I handed it out today, the one family I mentioned above went off on me and basically said I didn't need that much time off a year and as for next Tues being off, that really put them in a bind because she goes back to work then and they can't miss anymore work. The other families really didn't say much but I could tell they wasn't happy. So Is that too much time off? This mom has really got me shaken up. I feel like I work so much and have these kids 60+ hours a week and never ask for anything or time off. She flat out said " I am sorry but I don't think 15 days off next year is fair". I honestly at this point don't know what to say.
I would have said, "I will consider that statement your notice of termination."

SHE does not get to tell you when or how often you take time off.

The ONLY think she gets to do is decide if your policies work for her. If not, she is free to find other care.

As a matter of fact, that comment would have soured the relationship for me and I would replace.

There is a BIG difference between discussing something and flat out making a statement that is rude and totally unacceptable.

Not that it matters, (I don't base my vacation and off days on others) but I bet she has more than 15 days off in a year....
daycare 10:11 AM 05-22-2015
I dont think there is such a thing as too much time off.

it's what the parents sign and agree to.

My friend does in home and she takes over a month off of vacation each year.

She splits it up over the holidays and informs the parents at the start of each year or at the time of enrollment.

I have been doing this for almost 13 years now and only take one week off paid, the days are normally split up.

and I take off all holidays paid....

no one has ever had an issue with it.
Onawhim 10:27 AM 05-22-2015
I'm talking 15 "vacation days" this year and as many sick days as I need. Which I already took 7 since January (I suffered a miscarriage in March) next year I plan to take around 19.
finsup 10:46 AM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by cara041083:

I don't think that's asking too much! I am taking 4 weeks off this year, 2 vacation, 2 for after the birth of baby number 3 typically I only take 2 by well...that third baby threw us off a bit lol. Anyways, YOU and your family come first. They can take it or leave it. I would just explain this is why they need back up or they certainly find other care but the time off is not negotionable
cara041083 11:03 AM 05-22-2015
Thanks guys! I really didn't think it was to much considerating I'm not getting full pay for most of it. I'm only getting full pay for the 5 days. I am planning on talking to this family about the moms comments and if it ends in a term then oh well. It's my business and I have 4 kids That sometimes just need me to be their mom and not have to share me with 6 other kids. If I want to close down without pay that's my business and not anyone elses. Now I'm just mad lol
Unregistered 12:16 PM 05-22-2015
I take 3 weeks off (two weeks vacation & 6 paid holidays), plus any sick days or personal days I may need. My husband works a regular job and gets 4 weeks of PAID time off. I have been doing my job for almost 15 years and he has been at his for about 4 years. I agree with Blackcat. "Oh, well I am sorry this won't work out for you! I will consider this your notice and make arrangements to fill dcb spot! Peace out!" lol You most likely deserve WAY more than 15 days off each year, especially if you are dealing with medical issues. Hope you feel better soon!
rosieteddy 12:17 PM 05-22-2015
I just retired and I have had paid holidays and 3 weeks paid vacation for years.All my clients had their vacations paid as well.Do what you need to do.
AmyKidsCo 12:39 PM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I dont think there is such a thing as too much time off.

it's what the parents sign and agree to.
I totally agree. If that's the amount of time you want off, then the parents either agree or find alternate care.

I set my time off by looking at what other professions with comparable education and years of experience get.
Unregistered 12:21 AM 05-23-2015
I agree with the pps.

I take 3 weeks vacation and 6 sick/personal days all paid (I'm closed on Fridays). At interviews I always show my current closure calendar and inform prospective families what the closures for the upcoming year will be. I always start with "as for closures I follow the local schools and preschools closures". I have been asked just a couple of times if tuition would still be the same even if there was a vacation day. I say yes, and smile. That's usually an indicator to me they are not a good fit for my program.
Josiegirl 04:00 AM 05-23-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would have said, "I will consider that statement your notice of termination."

SHE does not get to tell you when or how often you take time off.

The ONLY think she gets to do is decide if your policies work for her. If not, she is free to find other care.

As a matter of fact, that comment would have soured the relationship for me and I would replace.

There is a BIG difference between discussing something and flat out making a statement that is rude and totally unacceptable.

Not that it matters, (I don't base my vacation and off days on others) but I bet she has more than 15 days off in a year....
Right on the money as usual.
And please DO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF FIRST!!!! You are the only mom your own kids have. DCparents come and go. If they want year round coverage then they can go to a center. I have it right in my handbook to always have back up care as life happens. Life is way too damn short to live it pleasing everybody. Family first.
Get better soon and hope everything's okay!!
Oh and that dcf would probably be a term in the making if they were mine. Rude and disrespectful.
Tags:time off
Reply Up