Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Infant Daycare Assistant - need help and tips?
Kay 07:21 PM 06-10-2013
Hello! I joined because I'm looking for some advice or some direction to advice for my new job. I have worked with children in the past from preschool - 16 years old as a camp counselor, I have babysat for 5 years or so in the 8 - 13 age, and I have taken child development classes as well.

Well, I applied as a kitchen assistant at a private company daycare and didn't get that position but was offered one as an assistant instead. A full time job with good pay, good and predictable hours, and paid time off with all holidays off in an area I had some experience...yes!

I'm just starting my second week and I am still overwhelmed a bit. I'm extremely flexible, know the technicalities - food portions, holding the bottle up, how to hold an infant's legs safely for diaper changing yadda yadda but I'm unsure how to piece it together...or something like that. I love what I'm doing and want to improve for the kids, my directors, and for my sake. How do you juggle multiple infants at once?

In our section we only have children under 1 year mainly in the 8 - 10 month age and we have 3 - 6 each day. There is a schedule to follow, individual sheets for each child on feedings, diaper changes, nap times, and comments that we fill out, a white board to update constantly, and of course taking care of the children while being safe and in ratio. It's me and another girl, we know how to care for children but doing so much at once and being hounded by our director who watches our every move is nerve wrecking. I try my very best and am only told what I do wrong and am never told if I actually do something right. What do you do when you have one child who just woke up crying, rocking one to sleep, and feeding one all at once? How do you speed up diaper changes (even if there's a 'blowout')? How do you keep your calm when you are stressed?

Another thing is half the time we are getting children away from gates, climbing on things, and just keeping them safe yet happy (usually they get upset even if you try to distract them with a toy or activity). Is there any way to help us from not doing this so much? I really wish we could just pad the walls and remove any shelving but that's just not practical...
blandino 08:17 PM 06-10-2013
Originally Posted by Kay:
What do you do when you have one child who just woke up crying, rocking one to sleep, and feeding one all at once?
Personally, I treat it like triage in the ER. Whoever's need is more important gets their need met first. Do you have to rock the child to sleep ? A previous assistant of mine worked at a center where they weren't allowed to let children fuss (not even cry) to sleep, and couldn't put them down awake. To me that would be the biggest contributor to the difficulty you are facing. Other than that I treat bottles/eating as the number 1 priority. The child who just woke up can wait until you are done giving the other baby a bottle.

My general plan when caring for multiple infants is to attempt to meet their needs before they are to the crying stage. If I know a baby will be needing a bottle soon, and I have a free hand - I am going to feed them then, when I know I am able to do it.

If there are two of you girls, I would suggest one of you focus on a task like feeding while the other does changes and tends to crying babies. That way it feels a little more organized.

How do you speed up diaper changes (even if there's a 'blowout')? How do you keep your calm when you are stressed?

For diaper changes, first I have my children (relatively trained) to be still on the changing table. This would take some time, but eventually they learn. You just need to move them back every time they try and roll and wiggle. For BMs, I will use the back of the diaper to wipe most of the poop off of their bottom and then rolls the diaper up. Then I will lay 2/3 wipes over their bottom and wipe them down. Then I get them in a new diaper.

For a blowout, I try and remove their clothes as cleanly as possible, and then do as I mentioned above.

I keep my calm by remembering that a baby isn't going to die from crying. Although it is stressful, it isn't the end of the world if a child cries.

Another thing is half the time we are getting children away from gates, climbing on things, and just keeping them safe yet happy (usually they get upset even if you try to distract them with a toy or activity). Is there any way to help us from not doing this so much? I really wish we could just pad the walls and remove any shelving but that's just not practical...

By redirecting them consistently, they should learn that they are not to touch/chilmb on things. Be firm and consistent when taking them away/ stopping the unwanted behaviors. With 8-10 month olds, you are going to feel like you are CONSTANTLY redirecting, they are just starting to learn the concept.

You seem very sweet, and very concerned. It takes a while to hit your stride with a group of children, especially infants who take a while to adjust. You sound like you are doing a wonderful job.
blandino 08:26 PM 06-10-2013
Also, if you are working with around 8-10 month olds, are you required to hold them while they have a bottle ? If you aren't that would certainly help you have free hands. Most children can hold their own bottle around 6ish months old.

Our state regulations only require us to hold an infant until they are 6 months and can hold a bottle by themselves. I lay my older infants on a blanket or in a boppy to feed themselves a bottle. It looks/seems nicer than just laying on the middle of the floor (although they sometimes wind up in that position anyway).
racemom 08:50 PM 06-10-2013
These are wonderful suggestions! I just wanted to add it gets easier as you get to know the babies and they get to know you! I have had new assistants tell me I make it look easy, but in reality I ve been working with infants for years and most of our current infants from 6 weeks of age, by the time they are 8 - 10 months old we know each other very well! Just stay calm, they can tell when you are stressed and will become more upset and cry more.

Hope this helps, and hang in there!
Kay 09:38 PM 06-10-2013
Thank You so so much for all the wonderful advice!

While yes, this is a job, I am very concerned on doing my best for the children and that means learning outside of work hours if needed. I guess my main issue is I am used to older children who are capable of handling themselves and at least know basic rules. The ER thought process makes total sense...it's so obvious! I will definitely try that tomorrow in those hectic times. Also, that is great advice with using the diaper itself as a wipe.

Me and the other girl are in different rooms which is why it's a bit difficult even though they are right next to each other. One is in the nursery and they feed, change diapers of their room's group (nursery is the younger children, middle room is the crawlers), and do naps while the one in the middle room follows a schedule (story time, free play, visual stimulation, etc) and then we switch after lunch. If all children are in one room or the other then both of us are in that room. Confusing but that's the setup.

We do use boppys which are great but they like to roll around and play with their bottles at times. I re-direct a lot and just hope they understand what is allowed and what isn't sooner rather than later. I will keep my patience and keep working at it.
cheerfuldom 06:41 AM 06-11-2013
by the time they understand the rules, they will move up to the next room age. I know that not very comforting but the reality is that in your age room, there will always be a lot of redirecting and at least some crying. you will get used to the crying and will learn to work faster but other than that, keep your expectations reasonable. If you are expecting them to be happy and play nicely together and cooperate, you are going to stress yourself out trying to reach that. As long as everyone is safe, clean/dry, fed and napped, you are doing a great job! If you can bond with some of them and the crying is alleviated a bit, then those are bonuses but it doesnt always happen. Just hang in there. Its a tough job.
earlystart 04:39 PM 06-11-2013
It sounds like you are getting the hang of it. It always takes me a good 3 months before I feel like an expert at my job at a new workplace, because everyone does things differently, even when changing coworkers in the same room. The biggest thing I had to learn working with younger children is to not let the chaos stress me out. Just keep calm and make the prioritized list in your head when several things are going on at once. Breathe a couple deep breaths to make sure you're not frazzled, and generally just remember that it's normal for it to be hectic - it doesn't mean you're not doing a good job. Try not to take it personally when people only point out the things you're doing wrong - just honestly take the "advice" and realize that most employers don't point out what you're doing right, no matter what job you have.
Reply Up