Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Losing Kids For Disliking School Food
daycare 05:29 PM 01-24-2017
Please tell me I am not the only one.

I cook all meals, home made and organic when possible. I am on the food program.

Our rule about food, eat what you like, leave what you don't.
No stress, positive talk and positive behavior all throughout meals. I always eat with the kids. BUtttttttt.................

I have lost now what is going to be 4 kids in the last 12 months due to the fact that the children will NOT eat while they are here, ZERO ZIP NOTHING. They want JUNK. I don't serve junk. Most kids they start out like this will eventually adapt to our program and learn to enjoy the food.

What will end up happening is that the child will go hungry all day and of course can't help but have behavior issues from lack of food. Some felt down constantly at the drop of a hat, some act out, some close down. These children are also the ones that get sick most often too.

I just lost another child last week, because I can't get these kids to eat anything. The child arrived at 7:45am and refused, breakfast & morning snack. I don't and won't force anyone to eat. I have a two bite club book and video we read constantly to encourage eating, but these kids don't care. So with this kid, by 11am, she was throwing herself down on the ground, freaking out and we couldn't calm her. This is what she was doing every day and I know it was because she was hungry.I do feel horrible for the child, but I run a preschool program and on the food program, so it's not like I can just start having meal time here, there and every where. I offer water, but we know that's not calories/fat they need to give them energy to move on. I don't want them here to survive, I want them here to thrive.

BUT I refuse to give them junk. I have had to chalk it up to not being a good fit. It's not like I am serving liver and onions, I am serving child friendly food, it's just homemade.

Any suggestions? Am I the only one who has lost kids for this reason.

This new era of over emotional parenting is getting to me, sorry that sounded sooooo judge mental, I just can't help myself right now.
NillaWafers 05:41 PM 01-24-2017
No I haven't lost kids but I don't think it's ridiculous to feed wholesome, good food.

Really it's the parent's faults for not providing good food at home too. Kids learn real quick they can hold out for home and then they get all the potato chips and candy they want.

I have one kid who won't eat here, but I think that is due to cultural food differences (asian) so he's not very used to the types of food I serve.
lovemydaycare0912 06:13 PM 01-24-2017
I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I agree with Nilla that it's kind of parents fault for what they serve at home. I have a drop in dcg who is 13 months and doesn't eat anything until snack time at 3pm. It's terrible. I asked dcm about eating habits and she says she eats yogurt at home. Yogurt. Like that's it????? keep doing what you can
Ariana 06:31 PM 01-24-2017
Is there any way you can serve them something they will eat every day? I totally agree that this is not really your problem but you are losing income from this! I have never seen a kid refuse a nice high protein banana muffin or a high fat high protein smoothie with berries. There must be something they would eat.
LysesKids 06:35 PM 01-24-2017
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
No I haven't lost kids but I don't think it's ridiculous to feed wholesome, good food.

Really it's the parent's faults for not providing good food at home too. Kids learn real quick they can hold out for home and then they get all the potato chips and candy they want.

I have one kid who won't eat here, but I think that is due to cultural food differences (asian) so he's not very used to the types of food I serve.
I do a lot of Ethnic cooking & I tend to get a lot of international or adventurous parents because of it... I don't do what is considered typical American kid food or anything Pork and I have had a few families walk away from interviews because of it. Today all our meals were traditional Tanzanian (it's actually easy to make & the kids ate most of it lol) - my Brother & his family live there so getting authentic recipes was easy
Unregistered 06:37 PM 01-24-2017
Can the "two bite club book and video" being read constantly possibly be making eating into a power struggle. You are showing you want her desperately to eat when you do that - maybe. So, she is maybe responding by digging in her heels. But, yes, also she is used to other food I think.

And what do you mean about over emotional parenting?

And, my last thought more directed towards lovemydaycare, is that normally we are always taught "food before one is just for fun". That makes me question why just being used to yogurt, one month into eating solids, is so shocking. I wonder what yogurt it is- if it is legit or sugar yogurt. Normal yogurt is great nutrition!
LysesKids 06:41 PM 01-24-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Is there any way you can serve them something they will eat every day? I totally agree that this is not really your problem but you are losing income from this! I have never seen a kid refuse a nice high protein banana muffin or a high fat high protein smoothie with berries. There must be something they would eat.
I have a kid who literally can't eat bananas, apples or berries much less milk, mushrooms, tomatoes, eggs and the list goes on; she was diagnosed after she was tested by an allergist & some were her favorite foods to eat
her baby brother has shown issues for 2 of the same foods already & he just turned one last week so I have some fun ahead lol. Thankfully he could eat all of the Tanzanian Lunch
lovemydaycare0912 08:02 PM 01-24-2017
Unregistered;

I have a fulltime dcb with her same birthday who eats everything. I don't think just yogurt for breakfast lunch and dinner is good. This child is sick everytime she comes to me and her parents seem off. I found out through my own shopping dcd was caught with possession some years ago but he still looks as if he uses. I could be wrong.
LovetheSun 09:54 PM 01-24-2017
Some children were very difficult with us, but what helped a lot is sending the food of the day home with the parents which they will serve for diner (so that there are no escaped to eating the healthy food!). You need cooperative parents for that but within 3days they usually eat everything like the rest of their friends.
Solandia 03:09 AM 01-25-2017
What kinds of meals are you making, how to you prepare?

Just to be clear, I'm not putting on you. But over the years I've realized that that there are wildly different ideas on the implementation of healthy. And some w are a bit out there (like cooking with zero salt and no seasonings). Just curious. Because one kid refusing food is one thing, 4...I would be looking at what I'm doing and seeing if I've missed something.

I've always made "healthy" stuff, but still made sure there is one thing that everyone likes. For little kids, I rarely did casseroles or one pot meals, because they are still learning to expand their own tastes....and more opportunity to eat pieces of the meal. I also used divided plates for the kids because it was fun, made meals interesting & helped them learn how to make a meal (you can get plates that are proportional with label for the different food groups). Plus their food doesn't touch!

I don't cater to kids wants, but I occasionally needs to check myself...I tend to get a bit uncompromising over time. Like it really is no big deal to leave the sauce off something and serve it plain and encourage new tastes. Or only giving a teeny bit of something they don't like instead of a full serving of the stuff they hate. (Some kids get overwhelmed with new foods and shut down, so a bite of new food next to a full serving of a familiar food is easier to accept).

Good luck!
Poptarts22 05:23 AM 01-25-2017
I guess before I got to the point of parents leaving my care, I would find a solution. Maybe offer to let parent pack a lunch for the child. It wouldn't be the exact thing the other children are eating-but thats what we sometimes have to do. I used to be all about pushing healthy foods and snacks, but I guess I have just given up the last few years. If a parent wants their kids full of crap-that's what they are gonna give them. Me pushing veggies here is going to just be a waste when they stuff them with Zingers at home. I fed my kids healthy and they grew into adults who do the same for their kids-there is where my job ends
Baby Beluga 05:37 AM 01-25-2017
I don't think you have done anything wrong. In fact, if the children are accustomed to eating junk it is because of the parents.

Kids eat junk because parents give it to them:

https://www.100daysofrealfood.com/ki...omment-page-8/

(not affiliated with this blog, I just follow it and share similar opinions on food)

Are you asking about the child's eating habits and sharing your menu with parents during the interview process? If not, maybe doing so will help weed out the junk food families from enrolling in the first place.

I'm curious, did the parents site not eating as a reason? As a parent I would be embarrassed to admit that to a provider
Blackcat31 06:03 AM 01-25-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I have never lost kids due to my menu or because their child wouldn't eat here but I do think that implementing at least one food into the day that you know they will eat is a good solution.

I've also had great luck with involving the kids in the meal/snack planning. Find out what things they do like and tweak those to be healthy and nutritious for them.

Originally Posted by Solandia:
What kinds of meals are you making, how to you prepare?
This is a great idea! Maybe you could post a week's worth of meals and snacks that you serve in care and we can help you tweak or amend your menu to be more kid friendly or just "different" since whatever it is now isn't working.

Originally Posted by Solandia:
JBut over the years I've realized that that there are wildly different ideas on the implementation of healthy. And some w are a bit out there (like cooking with zero salt and no seasonings). Just curious. Because one kid refusing food is one thing, 4...I would be looking at what I'm doing and seeing if I've missed something.
hey.... I don't add any salt or seasonings to the food I serve my DCK's.

We eat clean; as clean as we can and don't add any condiments, salt or any unnecessary seasonings to the things we make and serve.
sahm1225 06:28 AM 01-25-2017
Blackcat - just curious -no seasonings at all? I don't use salt but I do use garlic and other spices.
I always make their meals with lots of flavor just in case there's left overs, then I eat it
daycare 06:34 AM 01-25-2017
Thanks everyone for your feed back.

I do have a monthly menu sent home with our newsletter.
I do not cook with salt, sugar or other process type foods

I use all natural cooking additives, like coconut oil, etc.

I make pasta, sauce is homemade, mac and cheese, 100%home made, grilled cheese and etc.

Example lunch yesterday: grilled cheese, carrot/celery sticks and blueberries.

I serve a wide variety of foods. But the kids I have will ask for pop tarts, box mac and cheese, lunchables, basically they want highly processed foods that I won't serve. I don't even know what some of those foods are to be honey with you.

When I enroll I talk in great detail about my menu. Funny thing is, is that most parents choose me because Of my menu. I tell them most kids really have a hard time adjusting to our menu if they eat a lot of highly processed foods at home. Parents always tell me they are on board with our menu will do whatever it takes.

The family I just lost considered those sugary fruit snacks as their child's fruit or vegetable. OMG. No joke

I think what I have realized is that of the families I have lost, Some of them have a Nanny because the parents work has unusual hours. One mom is a surgeon, she's hardly home it seems. The other two families just let their kids make all the decisions.

I tired to talk with the parents, but All of them said it's easier to just let them eat what they want. One parent told me that I was the only one causing stress with the food in their child's life, I should have just given in and made the hot dog.

I am not really losing money, I have a wait list and fill the spot the very day it opens.

I feel like I'm at a loss and a little sad. Thanks for listening.
Baby Beluga 06:55 AM 01-25-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
Thanks everyone for your feed back.

I do have a monthly menu sent home with our newsletter.
I do not cook with salt, sugar or other process type foods

I use all natural cooking additives, like coconut oil, etc.

I make pasta, sauce is homemade, mac and cheese, 100%home made, grilled cheese and etc.

Example lunch yesterday: grilled cheese, carrot/celery sticks and blueberries.

I serve a wide variety of foods. But the kids I have will ask for pop tarts, box mac and cheese, lunchables, basically they want highly processed foods that I won't serve. I don't even know what some of those foods are to be honey with you.

When I enroll I talk in great detail about my menu. Funny thing is, is that most parents choose me because Of my menu. I tell them most kids really have a hard time adjusting to our menu if they eat a lot of highly processed foods at home. Parents always tell me they are on board with our menu will do whatever it takes.

The family I just lost considered those sugary fruit snacks as their child's fruit or vegetable. OMG. No joke

I think what I have realized is that of the families I have lost, Some of them have a Nanny because the parents work has unusual hours. One mom is a surgeon, she's hardly home it seems. The other two families just let their kids make all the decisions.

I tired to talk with the parents, but All of them said it's easier to just let them eat what they want. One parent told me that I was the only one causing stress with the food in their child's life, I should have just given in and made the hot dog.

I am not really losing money, I have a wait list and fill the spot the very day it opens.

I feel like I'm at a loss and a little sad. Thanks for listening.
Please don't be sad. Part of being a provider is caring for our children and food is a huge part of our lives.

I think the lunch of grilled cheese, blueberries and carrot/celery sticks sounds lovely. We love grilled cheese here. Often times I even make my own bread (sometimes the kids will help, they love dumping everything into the bread machine) and use it for grilled cheese, etc.

For lunchables: I too have had kids request those. What I do is a cold plate meal. Bread cubes, meat cubes, cheese cubes, raw veggies and raw fruits. The kids usually gobble it up and it happens to be one of my favorite meals because I can prep everything in advance. (I have one here - 14 month old - who refuses any veggies. But I'm working on him)
Blackcat31 07:18 AM 01-25-2017
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
Blackcat - just curious -no seasonings at all? I don't use salt but I do use garlic and other spices.
I always make their meals with lots of flavor just in case there's left overs, then I eat it
No, I don't add any seasonings at all.

At home we use onions, garlic etc but not in daycare meals.

I've just found it's unnecessary and none of the DCK's seem to care.
daycare 07:22 AM 01-25-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
No, I don't add any seasonings at all.

At home we use onions, garlic etc but not in daycare meals.

I've just found it's unnecessary and none of the DCK's seem to care.
Same here BC. I have no salt, butter, sugar or seasonings in my home. Ok wait my husband has some for his steaks but I don't eat meat.
Everything I eat doesn't need those things to cover up the real taste.
mommyneedsadayoff 08:31 AM 01-25-2017
I season everything with salt, pepper, and i cook with butter and coco oil. I cant live without my butter!

I would just keep doing what you are doing. Let them leave if it doesnt suit them and go to your wait list. Ime, kids with poor eating habits have higher levels of behavioral and sleep issues, so you are probably doing yourself a favor by weeding them out!
daycarediva 08:54 AM 01-25-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I don't think you have done anything wrong. In fact, if the children are accustomed to eating junk it is because of the parents.

Kids eat junk because parents give it to them:

https://www.100daysofrealfood.com/ki...omment-page-8/

(not affiliated with this blog, I just follow it and share similar opinions on food)

Are you asking about the child's eating habits and sharing your menu with parents during the interview process? If not, maybe doing so will help weed out the junk food families from enrolling in the first place.

I'm curious, did the parents site not eating as a reason? As a parent I would be embarrassed to admit that to a provider
I was JUST going to post the same article. It's a parent made issue, so it's a parent problem. I would send home for behavior and/or inability to participate. That's it. If they pull, they pull. IDC. My program (and menu) are not for everyone..

I do ask parents to give me a typical daily menu for their child upon interview. It gives me a good idea about what they're (supposedly) serving at home and I can go from there. I won't alter the menu unless the child has a pediatrician documented food allergy.

I have one child, the parent wrote 'muffins, pancakes, waffles, toast, and whatever fruit for breakfast' so imagine my surprise when the child won't eat ANYTHING whole wheat, homemade or with ANY fruit in it. Fruit=applesauce (sugar added/flavored) POUCHES or fruit 'cups' in heavy syrup ONLY. Not even shocked when she had a bowel impaction (suffers from severe constipation bc all she eats is cheese and simple carbs)

She has been here since she was 18m, now 4.5 it's a CONSTANT discussion with her parents about what she would/would not eat that day. I do try to add in some foods I know she will eat, in a way I can manage eg. granola next to plain yogurt and berries (won't touch the yogurt or berries, but will at least eat granola)
Annalee 08:54 AM 01-25-2017
I haven't lost anyone over the meals I serve BUT nearly every interview I have done in the past two years, the clients have asked if they can bring their meals/snacks. I do not allow this as I am the one who will be "graded" on what the meals consist of. I have several clients look at my USDA Food Program menu and frown or let me know their displeasure in some way. It would be a junk food party if I allowed meals to be brought in. I don't feel this has anything to do with the food either. I feel it is just another area where parents feel their children are entitled and should not comply with any rules. Just my opinions.
Annalee 08:56 AM 01-25-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I was JUST going to post the same article. It's a parent made issue, so it's a parent problem. I would send home for behavior and/or inability to participate. That's it. If they pull, they pull. IDC. My program (and menu) are not for everyone..

I do ask parents to give me a typical daily menu for their child upon interview. It gives me a good idea about what they're (supposedly) serving at home and I can go from there. I won't alter the menu unless the child has a pediatrician documented food allergy.

I have one child, the parent wrote 'muffins, pancakes, waffles, toast, and whatever fruit for breakfast' so imagine my surprise when the child won't eat ANYTHING whole wheat, homemade or with ANY fruit in it. Fruit=applesauce (sugar added/flavored) POUCHES or fruit 'cups' in heavy syrup ONLY. Not even shocked when she had a bowel impaction (suffers from severe constipation bc all she eats is cheese and simple carbs)

She has been here since she was 18m, now 4.5 it's a CONSTANT discussion with her parents about what she would/would not eat that day. I do try to add in some foods I know she will eat, in a way I can manage eg. granola next to plain yogurt and berries (won't touch the yogurt or berries, but will at least eat granola)
Totally agree! IT IS A PARENT PROBLEM!
daycarediva 09:07 AM 01-25-2017
and I'll be honest here, I get a LOT of clients in my area because of my menu, so the vast majority of my kids come eating well. I have a few who would eat plain baked fish, quinoa and steamed brussel sprouts happily. One just loves all raw veggies and even wanted those for her birthday with hummus. One is crazy about salad and every time I add different salad toppings she gets excited (the other day I did sugar free dried cranberries and slivered almonds and she was ecstatic)

I think that ^ pulls a different kind of clientele, so while the kids eat great there is a LOT of other issues with behavioral/academic expectations and parent neediness.

When we move- I'm am simplifying my meals down to basics. I think a simple, non-organic, rotating menu eg.

Cheerios, bananas
grilled cheese, tomato soup, apples
cheese and crackers

I NEED to simplify the food- and go a tad lower maintenance on the clientele. When you're toddler says "I like Trader Joes mahi mahi only." or "Is this apple from whole foods? Is it organic?"
Blackcat31 09:24 AM 01-25-2017

I NEED to simplify the food- and go a tad lower maintenance on the clientele. When you're toddler says "I like Trader Joes mahi mahi only." or "Is this apple from whole foods? Is it organic?"
This made me laugh because I had a DCG a few years ago that would ask me when we're having lobster and mussels.
JackandJill 09:26 AM 01-25-2017
This is mainly why I stopped serving food, and now have parents supply it. No one would eat the home made food I was serving (and I used butter, salt and sugar )

It's sad to see what some kids come with - prepackaged peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, like 3 different types of chips, gummy "fruit snacks" but no real fruit. I have a few kids who's parents send well balanced, home made meals, and other who send food with ZERO nutrition, almost all of it prepackaged. I ended up banning many types of food and drink, in hopes that meal quality would improve.

I agree with PP, good nutrition starts at home. Its not a battle worth fighting for me every day if parents aren't on board. Like potty training, I don't see why I should be banging head against the wall if the total opposite is taking place at home!
daycarediva 10:29 AM 01-25-2017
This made me laugh because I had a DCG a few years ago that would ask me when we're having lobster and mussels.
When I get a BIG raise!

DS/8 LOVES crab legs and every single time we go out to eat he asks if they have them there. I've gotten a few odd looks.
Solandia 10:52 AM 01-25-2017
No hard feelings, please! (About the salt/seasonings).

But I enjoy using different tastes for the kids, I use a lot celery, onion, garlic, mushroom and carrot(to add sweet to things like sauces), vinegar, lemon/lime...and my area is half Hispanic, so lots of chilis/peppers, cumin, cilantro. Cayenne. Salt & butter, too..,just enough to taste.

I am one for variety, so when I cook rice...I switch between brown, white, yellow rice, wild rice, jasmine, basamiti.

Same with breads, I rotate between a 6 different kinds(including white!).

There a very few things that I make are unseasoned....thinking...a potato soup I make, and a couple more earthy things with root veggies & cabbage.

I think most kids adapt pretty well...most of my dck's ate junk at home and ate well at my house with more variety...a few of my kids benefitted from the local food pantry, and sorry to say....it's a lot of junkier/easy to prepare foods. So it isn't that the parents were lazy, but it's what the got for free.

No salt/seasoning/butter....aiy....personally, I couldn't do it.
Play Care 11:08 AM 01-25-2017
When we move- I'm am simplifying my meals down to basics. I think a simple, non-organic, rotating menu eg.

Cheerios, bananas
cheese and crackers
:
This is my menu.
In most regards I have great clients and kids, but all are crappy eaters. I got so tired of throwing food away - and because hungry kids are crabby kids - so I made it easy for me. And if it were one or two kids/families over 12 years I would probably be more inclined to fight the good fight, but it's been most of them.

I have one infant now who is doing BLW, and I have high hopes for her. She's already eating salmon, shrimp, black beans, Swiss cheese, hard boiled egg, quinoa, melon and much more!
It's pretty much the only parents I've ever had who actually walk the walk, rather than just claiming they do
Pestle 11:55 AM 01-25-2017
I don't cook--it's fresh or canned here. Nothing more complicated than whole wheat pasta with sauce from a jar.

That being said, even though I'm not on the food program I'm in compliance: whole wheat only, lots of whole fat dairy, lean meats, lots of veggies, no sugar added to fruits, water or whole milk only.

So mostly it's the kind of food that kids should already be encountering at home, even if they don't regularly make a meal of it. And I've had a few kids through here who absolutely. wouldn't. touch. it. But you know what? It's all the older, preschool-age kids from my daughter's school, and they won't even eat what their parents pack. So it's hopeless, but nobody's malnourished and I don't have to deal with it daily like I would if it were full-time kids. You have my sympathy.
Sumshine 12:02 PM 01-25-2017
and I'll be honest here, I get a LOT of clients in my area because of my menu, so the vast majority of my kids come eating well. I have a few who would eat plain baked fish, quinoa and steamed brussel sprouts happily. One just loves all raw veggies and even wanted those for her birthday with hummus. One is crazy about salad and every time I add different salad toppings she gets excited (the other day I did sugar free dried cranberries and slivered almonds and she was ecstatic)

I think that ^ pulls a different kind of clientele, so while the kids eat great there is a LOT of other issues with behavioral/academic expectations and parent neediness.

Cheerios, bananas
cheese and crackers

I am super simple about my menu. It's a 2 week rotation. My parents feed their kids mainly junk so even though it's simple it seems crazy healthy to them and it's stuff kiddos will eat even though they are used to junk! It's so easy to plan ahead of time, I always have stuff on hand ready to go, and it's not crazy expensive. It takes me about 10 mins to prepare/serve a meal which is also a huge bonus!

Breakfast:
Always has a fruit serving and milk- every other day is a different cereal and then in between days are English muffin, toast, bagel, oatmeal, etc.

Snacks:
Easy stuff like wheat Crackers w/ apples. Yogurt & peaches. String Cheese & applesauce, etc.

Lunch:
Always has a fruit, veggie, & Milk serving
Mondays- Sandwich (ham or turkey, the good stuff not crap filled lunch meat)
Tuesdays- HM Spaghetti or HM Mac & Cheese
Wednesday- Sandwich (tuna or grilled cheese)
Thursday- Quesadilla (Cheese or cheese & beef)
Friday- Pizza Muffins (English muffin with HM sauce & cheese) or all beef hot dogs with buns
Ariana 12:20 PM 01-25-2017
I used to serve the organic this and that because that is what we eat for the most part but I was just throwing it in the garbage. I am not getting paid enough to throw good food in the garbage! Every parent said "we never allow junk food and my kid eats very healthy". TOTAL BOOHOCKEY! Every one of those kids never ate what I served, yet were very healthy looking (meaning heavy weights with some being overweight in my opinion). Now I serve the same rotating crap over and over. Almost everything has cheese in it or on it. Muffins, pancakes all that crap. The thing is, the parents still think its fine as long as the kids eats so we are both happy!

I would continually ask the parents for food ideas and would hear crickets. Why? Because all they served them was crap and they didn't want to admit it. One mom said her kids favourite was stuffed pepper. I made it and he looked at it like he was looking at an alian head.
Mom2Two 01:59 PM 01-25-2017
Daycare: Do you have a fall-back? I have a few that are hard to please, and that is after changing up my menu to accommodate their tastes!!!! After a while I give up and go with a fall-back. I have one girl that pretty much only eats cheerios and milk while she's here. She does like some fruit and vegies so I give her those when I know she's going to be here (she's very part-time). I think right now the only protein she eats is scrambled eggs, but I don't stress about it. She's a big, healthy girl.

I recently read an article that said that Americans are way more overweight than they used to be but at the same time, they think that they are LESS overweight. Our idea of what overweight means has changed (scientist's idea hasn't changed, just public perception). So yeah, it's not your fault.

Personally, I rarely serve cooked food, and it's pretty much separate foods, such as diced vegies, diced fruit, and the proteins are beans, ham, or cheese usually. The grains are either sandwich bread (cheese or ham sandwich) or cheerios.

AND we keep chickens. That's one way to reeeally stop worrying about waste if you are into that sort of thing.
LysesKids 04:01 PM 01-25-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
Daycare: Do you have a fall-back? I have a few that are hard to please, and that is after changing up my menu to accommodate their tastes!!!! After a while I give up and go with a fall-back. I have one girl that pretty much only eats cheerios and milk while she's here. She does like some fruit and vegies so I give her those when I know she's going to be here (she's very part-time). I think right now the only protein she eats is scrambled eggs, but I don't stress about it. She's a big, healthy girl.

I recently read an article that said that Americans are way more overweight than they used to be but at the same time, they think that they are LESS overweight. Our idea of what overweight means has changed (scientist's idea hasn't changed, just public perception). So yeah, it's not your fault.

Personally, I rarely serve cooked food, and it's pretty much separate foods, such as diced vegies, diced fruit, and the proteins are beans, ham, or cheese usually. The grains are either sandwich bread (cheese or ham sandwich) or cheerios.

AND we keep chickens. That's one way to reeeally stop worrying about waste if you are into that sort of thing.
See I always cook lunches... I start kids when they are babies & they eat pretty much what I fix from the get go; that said we don't do a lot of bread/pasta @ lunch, but more rice, barley & quinoa, plus it's a lot of vegetarian menus. Spaghetti sees my stove once every few weeks if that, Mac & cheese never due to 2 kids dairy issues

Snacks have been everything from Leftover soup to "Dutch babies" to homemade Almond milk yogurt with fruit
Micha 04:17 PM 01-25-2017
WOW I'm impressed and jealous of your menu!!!! Our menu needs some work. I came to this forum to get some ideas to suggest to our director/owner. She is very concerned with cost and want the food to be nutritional as well. Now we are having issues for sure.
dmrpu 05:56 PM 01-25-2017
I had a daycare mom who stopped at the gas station on her way to my house everyday. She would buy her son an orange soda and peanut butter cups. She considered that his breakfast. She basically said oranges are good for you and so is peanut butter.
m.kids1301 05:57 PM 01-25-2017
There have been so many kids I've cared for that don't eat or only eat junk. I've made my menu as healthy as I can for kids; as long as the majority of the kids like it, I keep with those things. If they don't eat I let the parents know.

I even made a form for them to sign along with all their other paperwork. It's my "Picky Partakers" form! I want them to let me know what they'd like me to do if their child won't eat anything. I've never had a child pulled just because of the food.

I do have 1 parent that brings her child her food because she does refuse to eat anything! She's my nephew's daughter and she's 9, but she's only here when school is out...whew!

I do try to encourage a bite. Another thing I refuse to do is to only give a child the 1 thing they'll eat lots of. Like if we have mac & cheese, green beans and pineapple, and a child has snarfed all the mac & cheese and says, "MORE!" I tell the child you have more on your plate. If they keep insisting I say we aren't just having mac & cheese today. When you are done with your green beans and pineapple and if you are still hungry I will give you more. I don't want to encourage eating too much of a more fattening type of food, and I have had lots of kids go ahead and eat the other foods and they get some of the more nutritious foods in them, and they get used to the taste. No child has to clean their plate, but if they haven't touched some of the foods on their plate, they certainly don't need more food!

If you are on the food program you can't serve the kids junk and I hope the parent of those kids knows that. I can't imagine who she'd take them to that would just serve them whatever they want!

Play Care 03:08 AM 01-26-2017
Originally Posted by m.kids1301:

I do try to encourage a bite. Another thing I refuse to do is to only give a child the 1 thing they'll eat lots of. Like if we have mac & cheese, green beans and pineapple, and a child has snarfed all the mac & cheese and says, "MORE!" I tell the child you have more on your plate. If they keep insisting I say we aren't just having mac & cheese today. When you are done with your green beans and pineapple and if you are still hungry I will give you more. I don't want to encourage eating too much of a more fattening type of food, and I have had lots of kids go ahead and eat the other foods and they get some of the more nutritious foods in them, and they get used to the taste.
If you are on the food program you can't serve the kids junk and I hope the parent of those kids knows that. I can't imagine who she'd take them to that would just serve them whatever they want!
While I don't disagree with this, my FP does not allow us to withhold certain foods until they eat other things. I would probably get a "ding" and have to attend a re-training session if I told a child they had to eat their veggies before getting a second helping of something else. Both my FP and state regs say we have to have enough for each child to have two servings.
I would check with your FP rules before going this route.
childcaremom 04:42 AM 01-26-2017
Op: I feel like you do.

I may be the odd one out but I refuse to change my meals/foods offered. Families are well aware of what I serve before they sign up. Meal time is not a battle for me at all. I identify what we are eating, encourage them to try a bite but that is as far as I go. If they don't eat, they don't eat and will eat at the next meal. Or not. I have had some that will wait until they get home to eat.

If it was ever affecting our day here, I would be sending home, as well, or having a chat with the parents. If they ended up leaving, I would look at this as a sign of not being a good fit and move on.
daycarediva 05:07 AM 01-26-2017
Originally Posted by Play Care:
This is my menu.
In most regards I have great clients and kids, but all are crappy eaters. I got so tired of throwing food away - and because hungry kids are crabby kids - so I made it easy for me. And if it were one or two kids/families over 12 years I would probably be more inclined to fight the good fight, but it's been most of them.

I have one infant now who is doing BLW, and I have high hopes for her. She's already eating salmon, shrimp, black beans, Swiss cheese, hard boiled egg, quinoa, melon and much more!
It's pretty much the only parents I've ever had who actually walk the walk, rather than just claiming they do
That's awesome about your infant! we did BMW with my kids (before I knew it had a name..ha) and they area pretty good eaters (autistic ds aside, GRRR but he goes hungry often bc I won't cater to him)

I don't see anything wrong with serving what they will eat, and I plan to do the same. My kids eat cheerios and bananas regulary for breakfast, but my current dck's would snub it. A plain banana? What about peanut butter, or rolled in granola, can you make it into a ghost again. Eg. today we are having breakfast banana splits.

organic granola, plain greek yogurt, sliced organic bananas, diced strawberries, sprinkles (natural food dyes only!) and homemade whipped cream. The prep time on that. !!!!!! I also CANNOT prep meals with kids here at all because they all need 100% of my attention, so it's all on my before they arrive.

Originally Posted by Sumshine:
I am super simple about my menu. It's a 2 week rotation. My parents feed their kids mainly junk so even though it's simple it seems crazy healthy to them and it's stuff kiddos will eat even though they are used to junk! It's so easy to plan ahead of time, I always have stuff on hand ready to go, and it's not crazy expensive. It takes me about 10 mins to prepare/serve a meal which is also a huge bonus!

Breakfast:
Always has a fruit serving and milk- every other day is a different cereal and then in between days are English muffin, toast, bagel, oatmeal, etc.

Snacks:
Easy stuff like wheat Crackers w/ apples. Yogurt & peaches. String Cheese & applesauce, etc.

Lunch:
Always has a fruit, veggie, & Milk serving
Mondays- Sandwich (ham or turkey, the good stuff not crap filled lunch meat)
Tuesdays- HM Spaghetti or HM Mac & Cheese
Wednesday- Sandwich (tuna or grilled cheese)
Thursday- Quesadilla (Cheese or cheese & beef)
Friday- Pizza Muffins (English muffin with HM sauce & cheese) or all beef hot dogs with buns
Will be doing the same. I also plan to drop the FP. I get the tax deductions, so at this point, it's one less hassle. If my crew won't eat any vegetables, the parents don't care, I won't have to serve them.

I know that seems sad, but the food thing- over it!
Cat Herder 06:31 AM 01-26-2017
One parent told me that I was the only one causing stress with the food in their child's life.
This stuck out to me.

Is it possible that what they said is true? Is it possible that they are really not worried with the amount of food their child consumes while in your care because their child is well nourished, healthy and growing well?

* Pediatricians and child development books tell parents that children will eat less or more during certain growth phases and not to obsess about quantities as long as they are healthy and growing well. The parents may honestly have full confidence in what you are serving and have no concerns other than your reports that their child is not eating enough to suit you.

Is it possible that the "just make a hotdog" statement is more about quelling your concern about quantity eaten than about the parent giving in to the child's wishes?

Just my take.
Blackcat31 07:03 AM 01-26-2017
Originally Posted by m.kids1301:
I am on the food program and I have to disagree with that statement. (bolded). Alot of what is credible on the food program is junk. It is heavy in carbs, light in protein and focuses entirely too much on too many fatty foods.

I am sure a lot of it IS healthy in comparison to what some kids do eat but I don't view the food program credible options/requirements as automatically healthy. A lot of tweaking is required.

While I don't disagree with this, my FP does not allow us to withhold certain foods until they eat other things. I would probably get a "ding" and have to attend a re-training session if I told a child they had to eat their veggies before getting a second helping of something else. Both my FP and state regs say we have to have enough for each child to have two servings.
I would check with your FP rules before going this route.
I don't think denying a child seconds is with holding food according to the food program.

The FP does not dictate that we MUST serve second helpings of anything so as long as all the components of the meal are on the plate/available to the child I see nothing wrong or against the regulations by saying no to more of anything.

I don't serve seconds for anything until ALL of the firsts are gone. If they choose not to eat anything from the first round or just one or two things, that is fine but there is no seconds of anything until everything from firsts is gone.
Sumshine 07:08 AM 01-26-2017
Will be doing the same. I also plan to drop the FP. I get the tax deductions, so at this point, it's one less hassle. If my crew won't eat any vegetables, the parents don't care, I won't have to serve them.

I know that seems sad, but the food thing- over it!
I have never been big into cooking myself. Not my cup of tea. I personally live off a light breakfast of toast, yogurt, or nothing, a lean cuisine for lunch, and whatever DH cooks for dinner lol! I only cook once or twice a week and those meals are typically some 3 ingredient crockpot dish or simple pasta! My son eats whatever you put in front of him junk or not. I am on a FP and I flipped through their meal suggestions/templates and picked what I felt was easiest and what the kiddos would eat and so far it's worked well. I don't care for the FP. I have no issues being in compliance with them but I'm in the tier that gets less money and my December check was only 82$. I have thought about dropping it so I don't have to sit on my computer every night and type in the meals. Its a pain IMO and I was scolded because I was just typing it in in the morning with our first meal and apparently that is not acceptable nor is typing it in the next day and needs to be done after the last meal/snack and before midnight. I can't do it on my phone so not convenient at all. I also don't like the "training" I have had to do so far. They have to come during my hours which most people would think is convenient but for me it really isn't because I have a very active/structured program and the only time it works for them to come and "train" is during nap time which is still a pain because I have 2 non nappers who are under 5 so my attention is still needing to be focused on them. The training was a bunch of weird useless items and books they gave me and then she spent the rest of the hour going over how I won't get paid if I do this or that. My menu is inexpensive enough I'd be fine without the check and I'd like to have the flexibility of serving a snack or lunch early/later depending on how the day is going and not have to worry they will show up and get upset with me for not doing it at my schedule times or worry about forgetting to let then know I'm closed for a vacation day or sickness. I just worry thay since everyone else around me who provides are on programs I'd be "frowned upon" by potential future parents because I'm not apart of it even if I'm staying in their guidelines and serving decent food to their kiddos!
daycare 07:24 AM 01-26-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
This stuck out to me.

Is it possible that what they said is true? Is it possible that they are really not worried with the amount of food their child consumes while in your care because their child is well nourished, healthy and growing well?

* Pediatricians and child development books tell parents that children will eat less or more during certain growth phases and not to obsess about quantities as long as they are healthy and growing well. The parents may honestly have full confidence in what you are serving and have no concerns other than your reports that their child is not eating enough to suit you.

Is it possible that the "just make a hotdog" statement is more about quelling your concern about quantity eaten than about the parent giving in to the child's wishes?

Just my take.
The reason why some of these kids left really wasn't because of the food it was because their lack of food created major behavioral issues.

I never stress a child about food I know that they are not starving I know when they go home they will eat. I think the hotdog comment came up because the child did not eat anything as usual, ALL DAY and I had to call the parent to come pick up the child for undesirable behavior.

Of course the parent question what the child eat today and I said they did not eat anything and so the parents said what did you ask him what they wanted to eat and I said they wanted a hotdog and we were having spaghetti today .

So basically the mom told me if I would have just given the hotdog the behavior problems would not have been created on my behalf according to her and the child's behavior would have been desirable and she wouldn't have had to come pick him up. According to the mother it was all my fault her child had the behavior he did .

One thing that I have realized over the last day is that all four of these children have in common is that they all have nannies or grandma caretakers when they are not with me. A few of the kids were the type that they made all the rules they control the parents so maybe this was a good thing that they left and I dodged a bullet.

I have had parents tell me it is easier just to give in and not parent and let them do what they want then it is to tell them no????

Lesson learned on my part one the next time a parent says that !!!
Blackcat31 07:27 AM 01-26-2017
I have never been big into cooking myself. Not my cup of tea. I personally live off a light breakfast of toast, yogurt, or nothing, a lean cuisine for lunch, and whatever DH cooks for dinner lol! I only cook once or twice a week and those meals are typically some 3 ingredient crockpot dish or simple pasta! My son eats whatever you put in front of him junk or not. I am on a FP and I flipped through their meal suggestions/templates and picked what I felt was easiest and what the kiddos would eat and so far it's worked well. I don't care for the FP. I have no issues being in compliance with them but I'm in the tier that gets less money and my December check was only 82$. I have thought about dropping it so I don't have to sit on my computer every night and type in the meals. Its a pain IMO and I was scolded because I was just typing it in in the morning with our first meal and apparently that is not acceptable nor is typing it in the next day and needs to be done after the last meal/snack and before midnight. I can't do it on my phone so not convenient at all. I also don't like the "training" I have had to do so far. They have to come during my hours which most people would think is convenient but for me it really isn't because I have a very active/structured program and the only time it works for them to come and "train" is during nap time which is still a pain because I have 2 non nappers who are under 5 so my attention is still needing to be focused on them. The training was a bunch of weird useless items and books they gave me and then she spent the rest of the hour going over how I won't get paid if I do this or that. My menu is inexpensive enough I'd be fine without the check and I'd like to have the flexibility of serving a snack or lunch early/later depending on how the day is going and not have to worry they will show up and get upset with me for not doing it at my schedule times or worry about forgetting to let then know I'm closed for a vacation day or sickness. I just worry thay since everyone else around me who provides are on programs I'd be "frowned upon" by potential future parents because I'm not apart of it even if I'm staying in their guidelines and serving decent food to their kiddos!
You need to look into another agency maybe.

My training is done on-line on my time (we're given 4 weeks to complete it) and my rep is fantastic about visiting! She usually does an activity with the kids that correlates to the topic of the month. She gives the kids books, dance CD's and stickers! They look forward to her visits!

Also recording meals needs to be done daily but I've NEVER been required to record immediately after each meal/snack....just so long as it's done by end of day. It also takes me only about 10 minutes to record all meals/snacks for 14 kids so not sure why some think its so time consuming. Sometimes when I DO want to record immediately after the meal or snack, I just use the app (Kids2Go) and record with a few tap taps.

My meal times are not rigid either and overlap so lunch for example is scheduled to be served anywhere from 11:00-1:00 so I am in compliance ANY time within that time frame. I am not required to do pre-planning (although I do) but sometimes we just fly by the seat of our pants and have whatever we feel like having for snack or lunch and as long as it meets the required components and is recorded by midnight it's all good.

I used to have horrible experiences with the FP rep at a different agency and thought seriously of withdrawing but then I "shopped" around and found a different agency and OMG! My experiences are so vastly different now (SO positive!!) that I can't imagine not participating.
Sumshine 07:43 AM 01-26-2017
You need to look into another agency maybe.

My training is done on-line on my time (we're given 4 weeks to complete it) and my rep is fantastic about visiting! She usually does an activity with the kids that correlates to the topic of the month. She gives the kids books, dance CD's and stickers! They look forward to her visits!

Also recording meals needs to be done daily but I've NEVER been required to record immediately after each meal/snack....just so long as it's done by end of day. It also takes me only about 10 minutes to record all meals/snacks for 14 kids so not sure why some think its so time consuming. Sometimes when I DO want to record immediately after the meal or snack, I just use the app (Kids2Go) and record with a few tap taps.

My meal times are not rigid either and overlap so lunch for example is scheduled to be served anywhere from 11:00-1:00 so I am in compliance ANY time within that time frame. I am not required to do pre-planning (although I do) but sometimes we just fly by the seat of our pants and have whatever we feel like having for snack or lunch and as long as it meets the required components and is recorded by midnight it's all good.

I used to have horrible experiences with the FP rep at a different agency and thought seriously of withdrawing but then I "shopped" around and found a different agency and OMG! My experiences are so vastly different now (SO positive!!) that I can't imagine not participating.
I had talked to a different provider in my area who is on a different program and she says that she is able to email her rep with any questions and she has access to that app but I don't have access to that app nor did I even know it existed until the other provider brought it up. I have been trying to do my recordings all at the end of the day after our last snack. It's just a pain because I have to break out my computer and load it up to sit and click in the stuff. It doesn't take forever just an inconvenience and then I actually have to remember to do it lol! I am limited to only half hour meals that's it end of story! I got scolded as well because my breakfast was fluctuating a lot because I have parents who are scheduled right at 7 but don't arrive on time ever but then expect me to feed their kids so I had to implement a breakfast cut off time to allow for 1 proper half hour meal which ticked a lot of them off but it is what it is! I have to pretty much be on time all the time for meals. Which for me typically isn't an issue I am a very structured and timely person but when you are working with tiny people they aren't as structured it can be difficult! If I decide we need to lay down early for a nap because everybody is in a "mood" I'd love to be able to see lunch a little early and not worry! I have thought about changing but I can't until October unfortunately and even when that time comes I wouldn't even know where to start I assume I just call a different FP and say I'm looking to change and go from there. I figured I would give one more "training" session a try and see how my first unannounced visit goes before throwing in the towel.
Blackcat31 07:51 AM 01-26-2017
I had talked to a different provider in my area who is on a different program and she says that she is able to email her rep with any questions and she has access to that app but I don't have access to that app nor did I even know it existed until the other provider brought it up. I have been trying to do my recordings all at the end of the day after our last snack. It's just a pain because I have to break out my computer and load it up to sit and click in the stuff. It doesn't take forever just an inconvenience and then I actually have to remember to do it lol! I am limited to only half hour meals that's it end of story! I got scolded as well because my breakfast was fluctuating a lot because I have parents who are scheduled right at 7 but don't arrive on time ever but then expect me to feed their kids so I had to implement a breakfast cut off time to allow for 1 proper half hour meal which ticked a lot of them off but it is what it is! I have to pretty much be on time all the time for meals. Which for me typically isn't an issue I am a very structured and timely person but when you are working with tiny people they aren't as structured it can be difficult! If I decide we need to lay down early for a nap because everybody is in a "mood" I'd love to be able to see lunch a little early and not worry! I have thought about changing but I can't until October unfortunately and even when that time comes I wouldn't even know where to start I assume I just call a different FP and say I'm looking to change and go from there. I figured I would give one more "training" session a try and see how my first unannounced visit goes before throwing in the towel.
I can help you find other options...

who are you with now?

You can PM me if you'd rather not post openly.
Play Care 08:13 AM 01-26-2017
I don't think denying a child seconds is with holding food according to the food program.

The FP does not dictate that we MUST serve second helpings of anything so as long as all the components of the meal are on the plate/available to the child I see nothing wrong or against the regulations by saying no to more of anything.

I don't serve seconds for anything until ALL of the firsts are gone. If they choose not to eat anything from the first round or just one or two things, that is fine but there is no seconds of anything until everything from firsts is gone.
I recall being told in a training that we can not require a child to eat everything before giving them more. The specific example was making them eat the veggie before giving them a second of fruit. I will have to look up to see if the wording is in the handbook or they just felt it was "best practice"
I don't disagree with it, I just wouldn't do it the day my FP came in to observe, KWIM?
Blackcat31 08:15 AM 01-26-2017
I recall being told in a training that we can not require a child to eat everything before giving them more. I will have to look up to see if the wording is in the handbook or they just felt it was "best practice"
I don't disagree with it, I just wouldn't do it the day my FP came in to observe, KWIM?
I completely agree!!
...and I'd fight them tooth and nail if cited for it because the food program doesn't require second servings so technically they can't dictate whether I serve them or not. Not unless they are willing to reimburse us for the additional servings kwim?

This is copied/pasted from the monitor handbook. Minimal requirement is the only phrase/word used:

The two meal service styles that can be used in CACFP are pre-portioned and family style. Preportioned means that the minimal requirement of food for each required component is prepared by an adult and given to each child on a plate or tray.

Family style meal service means that the food is placed on each table for each child to help him/herself. Children may then select the foods they want and the amount of each food they want.

During your review, you must ensure that minimum portions of each required component for all children are available for the children at the table. During the meal, it is the responsibility of the provider to encourage each child to accept the full required portion for each food component of the meal pattern. For example, if a child does not want a food component, or does not want the full required portion of a meal component, the provider should offer the food component to the child again. If minimum portions are not available to each child, the meals would be disallowed

Family Day Care Monitor Handbook Page *23/ 7 CFR §226.20(p) and FNS Instruction 783-9, Rev. 2
daycare 08:41 AM 01-26-2017
I completely agree!!
...and I'd fight them tooth and nail if cited for it because the food program doesn't require second servings so technically they can't dictate whether I serve them or not. Not unless they are willing to reimburse us for the additional servings kwim?

This is copied/pasted from the monitor handbook. Minimal requirement is the only phrase/word used:

The two meal service styles that can be used in CACFP are pre-portioned and family style. Preportioned means that the minimal requirement of food for each required component is prepared by an adult and given to each child on a plate or tray.

Family style meal service means that the food is placed on each table for each child to help him/herself. Children may then select the foods they want and the amount of each food they want.

During your review, you must ensure that minimum portions of each required component for all children are available for the children at the table. During the meal, it is the responsibility of the provider to encourage each child to accept the full required portion for each food component of the meal pattern. For example, if a child does not want a food component, or does not want the full required portion of a meal component, the provider should offer the food component to the child again. If minimum portions are not available to each child, the meals would be disallowed

Family Day Care Monitor Handbook Page *23/ 7 CFR §226.20(p) and FNS Instruction 783-9, Rev. 2
I was told the same BC. we are not required to give seconds.
I was told that we should never allow a child to over eat and want to eat until they feel full. They should eat based on the serving size recommended for their age group. Of course, if you know a child didn't well at the meal before, it would be ok to give a little more, but overall, I was told that I do NOT have to serve seconds.
daycarediva 09:58 AM 01-26-2017
I recall being told in a training that we can not require a child to eat everything before giving them more. The specific example was making them eat the veggie before giving them a second of fruit. I will have to look up to see if the wording is in the handbook or they just felt it was "best practice"
I was told the same thing in training and I just don't do it when they're here. My kids are overall good eaters though. I also don't always have seconds available, and I debated with them- she said as long as I had seconds available to make/cook (like that will ever happen. )

BUT- during my last training we talked about serving sizes and honestly, I think most of the providers were surprised to hear that they were overfeeding the kids. Eg. ONE slice of bread is a serving size for littles, so if you served them a whole sandwich, that's 2 servings.

The only thing I fudge sometimes is when I claim two things eg. yogurt and berries. I just scoop. I'm not measuring.

As I said, the FP check is ok and all, but I get the same deductions at the end of the year (without having to mess with standard deduction per meal, less FP income) so I may just drop it, really simplify my menu, and save money over the course of a year.
CityGarden 11:08 AM 01-26-2017
This sucks!! I tip my hat off to providers who provide all meals and do so in a healthy way.

In my area parents are so picky.... I am requiring parents to bring their child's lunch. I am providing quality homemade morning and afternoon snacks but figure I would split the work of feeding children with their own parents - that way if they do not like the snacks at least they get one meal a day of what they are used to and if they eat terrible with parents my AM & PM snack help model healthy balances options. So far potential parents have not been put off by my not offering meals.

I know you stated providing meals is a major draw for parents to your program but just from reading on this forum you offer so much more than many daycares unless the food program $$$ is really good I would reconsider offering lunch and both snacks. That said I assume you have already weighed all those...

(((HUGS)))
mommiebookworm 01:57 PM 01-26-2017
Have you considered switching to parent provided meals? within your guidelines of course. You would do am snack and pm snack.

Also, you wouldn't have as much prepping and dishwashing!
daycare 05:23 PM 01-26-2017
Originally Posted by mommiebookworm:
Have you considered switching to parent provided meals? within your guidelines of course. You would do am snack and pm snack.

Also, you wouldn't have as much prepping and dishwashing!
No. I can't imagine what those parents would bring their children. I foresee candy and soda in every bag. Lol. Which would mean all of my kids going crazy at once instead of 4 a year.

Do any of you require a sack lunch/ meals ?
CityGarden 10:34 PM 01-26-2017
No. I can't imagine what those parents would bring their children. I foresee candy and soda in every bag. Lol. Which would mean all of my kids going crazy at once instead of 4 a year.

Do any of you require a sack lunch/ meals ?
I require parents to provide lunches and I send detailed guidelines (types of foods, lunchboxes I suggest, water bottle I require, etc.). I do allow them to refrigerate lunches but I ask them to not need to be heated as we sometimes will eat at the park.

I figure not providing lunches saves me time (budgeting, grocery shopping, meal planning, cooking, cleaning) and allows me to spend my time focusing on the children not in the kitchen. I do provide a homemade morning and quick afternoon snack.
Tags:losing spots, meal issues
Reply Up