Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Part Time No Longer Offered
daycare 10:39 AM 04-29-2011
ugh.... so here is the start of my letter.....Not too sure how much to say or not to say or let alone how to say it....

how much do i tell them or not tell them... I am very open and personal with my families. I talk to all of them daily at the end of each day for at least a good 20 min and want this letter to be personal, yet professional...

Dear families,
I can hardly believe that Summer is almost here. The kids and I have been having such a blast these past several months that time is just flying by.

As many of you already know, my husband has been working two jobs and has been trying to get into Stanford Medical School program for quite some time. We have finally gotten the great news that he has been accepted to the medical program for the fall of 2011. With his acceptance into medical school, my family will be forced to make several changes in our personal lives, as well as the Daycare.

We all know that in today’s economy that it is almost impossible for any family to survive on one income. For this reason, I have made the decision that I will no longer be able to offer part time care.

Starting July 1, 2011 the *** daycare will only offer full time care to all families. I know that this will put several families in a difficult situation and hope that I can continue to help every family here.

uggh I dont know if I like the 3rd paragraph at all.....help
Cat Herder 10:56 AM 04-29-2011
I love it and CONGRATULATIONS!!! How exciting!!

You could mention, like I do, that the State limits the number of children you can care for to better serve their individual needs.

That in order to BEST meet the needs of both the daycare children and your family the lowest possible ratio will be maintained.

In order to maintain that ratio you will only be able to offer *** full-time slots as of *****.

You could then hand out updated contracts with a due date. If not signed and turned in by due date it constitutes a two weeks notice....
daycare 11:01 AM 04-29-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I love it and CONGRATULATIONS!!! How exciting!!

You could mention, like I do, that the State limits the number of children you can care for to better serve their individual needs.

That in order to BEST meet the needs of both the daycare children and your family the lowest possible ratio will be maintained.

In order to maintain that ratio you will only be able to offer *** full-time slots as of *****.

You could then hand out updated contracts with a due date. If not signed and turned in by due date it constitutes a two weeks notice....
lol I had the part about how the state limits my numbers, but then took it out..

Yes we are all super excited...and of course super stressed out... I will be our only income in addition to his grants/loans........... I can't wait

thanks for the advice... I am so sad and excited at the same time that I just cant find my words..... whats new.....hehehe
grandmom 03:05 PM 04-29-2011
Personally, I wouldn't put in all the personal stuff. Just let them know that starting *date* you will only be offering the following options.

When I start reading the personal stuff from letters, I miss the point of the letter, because I'm skipping around trying to find out what you're really trying to say.
daycare 03:53 PM 04-29-2011
Originally Posted by grandmom:
Personally, I wouldn't put in all the personal stuff. Just let them know that starting *date* you will only be offering the following options.

When I start reading the personal stuff from letters, I miss the point of the letter, because I'm skipping around trying to find out what you're really trying to say.
I understand what you are saying, but if I don't put the reasoning, then I am going to have a lot of people asking why.... So I want to make sure that i answer the who what when where and why.............
nannyde 06:01 PM 04-29-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I understand what you are saying, but if I don't put the reasoning, then I am going to have a lot of people asking why.... So I want to make sure that i answer the who what when where and why.............
I agree with grandmom. There is no reason to put your reasons in this. If they ask you why then just tell them: I'm changing my business to full time slots only. IOW you are just repeating what you are saying in the letter.

You don't owe anyone an explanation of why you are changing the services you offer. The more you explain the more open their position is to try to negotiate around your reasoning and ask for special.

When you add personal it makes it personal. It's not personal. It's just business.
Mandy_Jane 07:46 PM 04-29-2011
I think the letter sounds great just how you have it. Of course you don't have to explain yourself, but out of courtesy to the parents, you are doing so. I would do the same thing for my daycare parents. I never change any of my policies without an explanation to them. I just don't operate that way. Yes, it's my business, but that doesn't mean I have to be cold and callus towards my parents. Unless you see them as simply a paycheck, I don't know why on earth you WOULDN'T provide them with an explanation. I appreciate and respect my daycare parents and this is why I treat them more than just someone I am doing business with who must comply with whatever I say with no explanation.
daycare 09:13 PM 04-29-2011
I love my dcp. I would treat someone the way I would want to be treated. If a DCP came to me and said we want to term of course I would want answers. Who wouldn't?
I want it in black and white the reason why. Otherwise I feel that there will be room left for all DCP to assume reasons why I am doing this. The last thing I need are assumptions,Which often turn into rumors.

I really do see what everyone is saying both sides. But for me, I am such a small group and this letter will only go to 2 families. The rest of my kids are already FT.

Thanks for all of your help on this
Hunni Bee 09:47 PM 04-29-2011
I agree with grandmom and nannyde. I handle all of the correspondence to parents at my center, and IME the more information parents have, the more likely they are to try and look for loopholes, and try to get you to change your policies. I see how you wouldn't want them to think you're just doing this to be greedy or something, in which case I would just say "Due to a change in my financial situation."
Tags:full time, letter samples, part time care, part time to full time, schedule change, schedule change letter
Reply Up