Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Two Questions...
Sunchimes 03:50 PM 07-07-2012
1. I have two 22 month olds. Meal time is awful! At the moment, they are still in high chairs because their manners are atrocious. Any plate or bowl I put on their tray is picked up, the food dumped off, and the plate thrown on the floor. I can stop it as long as I'm right there, but there are times that I have to turn around to tend to the baby or turn my back, and...boy are they fast. The other day, I turned to pick up the baby and in those 10 seconds, they had thrown peaches across the room. They are still using sippy cups because open cups are a disaster. I had the disposable kind, but I gave those up when they learned to take the lids off. Now I use the kind with screw on lids.

It's driving me crazy! I know a certain amount of this is normal at this age, but this is ridiculous and I've had enough. One DCM has been working on it at home for months, with no success. Any suggestions?

2. At what age do you start making them wear bike helmets? They aren't on bikes yet--I have one low tricycle, but they are still using their feet to move it because they can't quite peddle it.
cheerfuldom 04:17 PM 07-07-2012
Never had a kid that was that awful at meal time, let alone two of them. I would skip the bowls and plates and serve them a small bit on their tray. As soon as the food started being thrown, tell them no. They do it again, the meal is over. No more food till the next meal/snack time. I know that sounds harsh but this has worked within a couple of days for every kid that trys that throwing here.....its not like I starve a kid. If you can, just take them right out of the highchair so they know the meal is over.
Truly Scrumptious 04:59 PM 07-07-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Never had a kid that was that awful at meal time, let alone two of them. I would skip the bowls and plates and serve them a small bit on their tray. As soon as the food started being thrown, tell them no. They do it again, the meal is over. No more food till the next meal/snack time. I know that sounds harsh but this has worked within a couple of days for every kid that trys that throwing here.....its not like I starve a kid. If you can, just take them right out of the highchair so they know the meal is over.
I agree...they are certainly old enough to learn to use their manners. I do the same thing and it works.
Sunchimes 05:00 PM 07-07-2012
I've never seen anything like it either. I think I'll do as you suggest and just end the meal to see what happens. They can't go on like this. Thanks.
DCBlessings27 07:31 PM 07-07-2012
I have a very picky dcb who is 18months. He was dumping his plate when he was done with what little he ate. So, I started telling him to hand it to me when he was done. It was the same with his sippy cup. He'd throw it on the floor when he was done. Now, he's in the helping stage and loves to hand me his plate/cup. I praise him greatly for being such a good boy. It only took a few days of training to get him to hand the stuff to me instead of dumping/throwing.
Sunchimes 08:02 PM 07-07-2012
I've tried praise and so has her mom. She's not buying it and neither is her little friend. It's been going on for months here and at home, and at grandma's, and in restaurants. She's stretching those terrible two muscles!
Meyou 04:32 AM 07-08-2012
I agree with cheer. Serve them a little and if they throw give them a warning. The next time excuse them and let hunger teach them a little lesson about not throwing food. Dishes and unlimited access to drinks is a privileged, not a right IMO. When they learn to control themselves they can have them back.

I think they're doing it because they get away with it and it's a fun game now. So if you end the game...no more fun.
MN Mom 06:24 AM 07-08-2012
When I was little my mother and grandmother used bowls / plates that suctioned to the tray of the highchair. I *think* they were made by Tupperware. I wonder if they still make something of the sort?
countrymom 06:33 AM 07-08-2012
you throw food that means your done. I''ve had kids cry when they are removed but they learn pretty fast that when you throw food your done.
Sunchimes 10:09 AM 07-08-2012
MNmom, I've had suction plates since she first started on table food. Even then she could get it off faster than I could get it on.

I've been a wimp about letting them go hungry, but tomorrow, if a cup, spoon, or piece of food hits the floor, meal time is over.

Thanks for the push. I guess I needed someone to remind me that they won't starve. ;-)
Meyou 01:46 AM 07-09-2012
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
MNmom, I've had suction plates since she first started on table food. Even then she could get it off faster than I could get it on.

I've been a wimp about letting them go hungry, but tomorrow, if a cup, spoon, or piece of food hits the floor, meal time is over.

Thanks for the push. I guess I needed someone to remind me that they won't starve. ;-)
If they were really hungry nothing would stop them from eating. Be strong!!
AnneCordelia 02:58 AM 07-09-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
you throw food that means your done. I''ve had kids cry when they are removed but they learn pretty fast that when you throw food your done.
Yes! I have 5 toddlers all between 18-23mo and they caught on REAL quick that if you throw I take away your plate for 30 seconds and if you attempt itnagain that means he meal is over. Now my 22 & 23mo both say "Scuse from table pease!" Manners are adorable!
Tags:helmets, meal time, meals, tricycles
Reply Up