Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Child Who Cries When I Leave His Sight
sahm2three 09:46 AM 09-17-2012
If he can't see me, he screams. He is about 18 months. I knelt down to pick something up under the table and he freaked out because he couldn't see me. I will warn him and say be right back, and that doesn't help. I think it just must be a phase. As long as I am in his sight he is ok. I have never had a child react this way. Anything else I should do? The daycare area is all in the same area. Only time I leave the room is to go to the bathroom or answer the door.
rhymia1 10:32 AM 09-17-2012
When I have kids that do that (I've had one or two ) I take them with me when I can, or use my words to soothe when I'm out of sight (I don't go out of hearing) If I was under the table I might have popped up with a "BOO!" And made a little game of it (if he tolerated it) which may take the aniexty out of it (but you know the kid and if that would work) Good luck!
NiNi.R. 01:55 PM 09-17-2012
I had a child about that age do that. He was the child of a young teen mom. Came to find out that she would leave him with his grandparent's for days and not come back or he would get dropped off here super early and she wouldn't show up until really late.

Only got worse when later he was put into my custody temporarily after the mom got busted for drugs.

He is now back in the care of his mom and still attends daycare here. I wouldn't give her a mother of the year award. He often shows up with a pop in hand and powdered donuts, she is always running late. He stays up til all hours of the night and sleeps ins super late. She is always late to bring him late to pick him up.

That being said she has made a 180. She attends school full time and works full time. She always gets me paid and tells me how she appreciates how I've been there every step of the way with her. Her son is better adjusted and seems to be alot happier and healthier.
Reply Up