Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Paying Taxes on LLC
LWICD 04:05 PM 05-05-2013
I own a large center licensed for 102 children. We are growing fast but we have not officially made a profit. We keep money in our business account but that is because bills are spaced out. If you look at the end of the month expenses are still more than income. My question is what are these quarterly tax payments and how are they estimated. We opened March 25th 2013 I didnt pay any for 4/15/13 deadline. I run the daycare and up until last week I also worked a 20-35 hr week at my last job. My husband also works a full time job outside of the center. I only have done one owner draw for 1000 and i used it for supplies for the center. I did this because my bank deposited the check into my business account and I paid for the purchases out of my personal account before realizing that it would not be an expense from business account. So i entered it as income and then did owner draw to pull it back out then put it back into my personal account to cover my supplies I order from my personal account. That set aside how do I figure what I owe quarterly? Also is this pretty much the "taxes withheld" from the business income or owner income. Meaning if I get 200000 of income from parent payments but after bills and payroll I make 50000 then do I pay estimated tax on the 50000 or on the whole 200000?
suehelen 02:35 AM 05-06-2013
You pay taxes on net profit, not gross income.
TomCopeland 11:39 AM 05-06-2013
Originally Posted by LWICD:
I own a large center licensed for 102 children. We are growing fast but we have not officially made a profit. We keep money in our business account but that is because bills are spaced out. If you look at the end of the month expenses are still more than income. My question is what are these quarterly tax payments and how are they estimated. We opened March 25th 2013 I didnt pay any for 4/15/13 deadline. I run the daycare and up until last week I also worked a 20-35 hr week at my last job. My husband also works a full time job outside of the center. I only have done one owner draw for 1000 and i used it for supplies for the center. I did this because my bank deposited the check into my business account and I paid for the purchases out of my personal account before realizing that it would not be an expense from business account. So i entered it as income and then did owner draw to pull it back out then put it back into my personal account to cover my supplies I order from my personal account. That set aside how do I figure what I owe quarterly? Also is this pretty much the "taxes withheld" from the business income or owner income. Meaning if I get 200000 of income from parent payments but after bills and payroll I make 50000 then do I pay estimated tax on the 50000 or on the whole 200000?
You would pay taxes on the $50,000 (your net income/profit).
suehelen 02:49 AM 05-07-2013
I think that's what I said.
LWICD 06:28 PM 05-07-2013
So would it be safe to say that if I make 10000 from parent payments then I pay 6000 in payroll and 5000 in bills and expenses and come out to a net loss of 1000 then I will not be responsible for paying in any quartly payments since I had a loss.

On the flip side if I make 1000 then I take that times 15.3% for self employment tax then another 20-25% for income tax since that is the bracket that my husband and I would usually fall in? Then my "bring home" would be what is left and the other funds I would keep in another account and pay quarterly?
TomCopeland 07:02 AM 05-08-2013
So would it be safe to say that if I make 10000 from parent payments then I pay 6000 in payroll and 5000 in bills and expenses and come out to a net loss of 1000 then I will not be responsible for paying in any quartly payments since I had a loss.

On the flip side if I make 1000 then I take that times 15.3% for self employment tax then another 20-25% for income tax since that is the bracket that my husband and I would usually fall in? Then my "bring home" would be what is left and the other funds I would keep in another account and pay quarterly?
The answer is yes if your are self employed. If you have set up a corporation for your center, the taxes are different.
LWICD 09:33 PM 07-10-2013
We are an LLC so is that considered a corp or self employed
TomCopeland 10:52 AM 07-11-2013
We are an LLC so is that considered a corp or self employed
Sorry I didn't clarify my earlier answer. There are different types of LLCs so it matters what type you are. If your center is a single person LLC, then you would file taxes as if you were self employed and my answer is correct. If you are a partnership LLC or a corporate LLC the tax forms and the taxes are different.
Tags:llc, taxes, tom copeland
Reply Up