Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do I Need a Policy For Letting DCKs Play In My Child's Room?
Max 08:55 AM 10-27-2016
I notice some providers allow certain DCKs to play in their own child's room because they get along really well and are maybe a little older and can be trusted to play with other toys like Legos..

Anywho, my son (newly 4 y.o.) is very social and when he's home for the summer or after preschool, I think he'll make some great DC friends and it could be nice for him to get to play away from the 'busy vibe' of DC. Plus he loves to show off/share his Legos He listens very well, so I think he'll be able to follow the rules no problem (such as, your toys must stay in your room).

Do I need a policy explaining this to parents? I maybe don't 'need' one but I like having everything in writing so there are no surprises.

Or should I just verbally tell parents, when the time comes, "Hey your son/daughter gets along really well with my son! I can trust your kid to be a great listener so I've been letting them play together in my son's room when they want to and share his toys. Most DCKs are not allowed in there to keep his toys from breaking or going missing."

FWIW, my son's room is on the same floor as the main daycare area, so they wouldn't be far from the group but also tucked away a little bit so it wouldn't be super obvious to the little ones in the group.

Anything to keep in mind in these regards? Obviously I would only allow DCKs around my son's age who are respectful and listen well. And only when my son wants to invite them to share the toys in his room.

TIA!
Play Care 09:15 AM 10-27-2016
Personally, that's not something I'd ever allow.

If your son gets along so well with a certain dck, then invite them over after hours or on a weekend for a play date.

By allowing it during day care you:

*increase your liability by not directly supervising

*create the possibility for children to feel left out ("why does Mikey get to play in the bedroom and we don't?!" )

*give parents the impression you play favorites (why can't my child play there?" )

*take away your son's "safe" spot that should belong to him, and him alone.

JMO.
Blackcat31 09:15 AM 10-27-2016
Originally Posted by Max:
I notice some providers allow certain DCKs to play in their own child's room because they get along really well and are maybe a little older and can be trusted to play with other toys like Legos..

Anywho, my son (newly 4 y.o.) is very social and when he's home for the summer or after preschool, I think he'll make some great DC friends and it could be nice for him to get to play away from the 'busy vibe' of DC. Plus he loves to show off/share his Legos He listens very well, so I think he'll be able to follow the rules no problem (such as, your toys must stay in your room).

Do I need a policy explaining this to parents? I maybe don't 'need' one but I like having everything in writing so there are no surprises.

Or should I just verbally tell parents, when the time comes, "Hey your son/daughter gets along really well with my son! I can trust your kid to be a great listener so I've been letting them play together in my son's room when they want to and share his toys. Most DCKs are not allowed in there to keep his toys from breaking or going missing."

FWIW, my son's room is on the same floor as the main daycare area, so they wouldn't be far from the group but also tucked away a little bit so it wouldn't be super obvious to the little ones in the group.

Anything to keep in mind in these regards? Obviously I would only allow DCKs around my son's age who are respectful and listen well. And only when my son wants to invite them to share the toys in his room.

TIA!
As far as licensing goes, the daycare kids won't be able to play in your son's room unless your son's room is included in the rooms you list used for licensed care.

As for any issues or problems that *might* occur with allowing some daycare kids to use your son's room....that's a whole 'nother issue.

I've been on both sides. Parent and provider.
It can be both a good and bad thing.
Play Care 09:16 AM 10-27-2016
To add, if your son wants to play with the older dck's, I would set up a spot within the dc area for that. And the toys would be dc toys purchased for all the "older" dckids, not your son's toys.
Trust me on that last point
Max 07:09 AM 11-01-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
*create the possibility for children to feel left out ("why does Mikey get to play in the bedroom and we don't?!" )

*give parents the impression you play favorites (why can't my child play there?" )

*take away your son's "safe" spot that should belong to him, and him alone.

JMO.
I thought of the fairness aspect, it's a good point. I like the idea of his room being his safe spot where he can get away, which is why I wouldn't allow it unless he wanted to invite his friend(s) there. Like I said he loves being social and making friends

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
As far as licensing goes, the daycare kids won't be able to play in your son's room unless your son's room is included in the rooms you list used for licensed care.
Great point to keep in mind

I guess from a business perspective, a pro would be that it would increase T/S %? As long as it adheres to the 'regular use' rule.

Not that business trumps my son's feelings, just pointing it out.
Blackcat31 07:11 AM 11-01-2016

I guess from a business perspective, a pro would be that it would increase T/S %? As long as it adheres to the 'regular use' rule.

Not that business trumps my son's feelings, just pointing it out.
This is true! It probably does... I don't know...

I have a completely separate house so my T/S % is at 100%.
Cat Herder 07:51 AM 11-01-2016
It also opens it up to inspection for violations. Rhet: Is it infant safe? Are all toys in working condition? No chips, peeling paint, loose screws, missing parts, small parts, harboring space aliens, secret loops to spectacular pangaea dimensions blah, blah, blah...

Also, what happens when your son wants alone time or suddenly doesn't "like" a kid or chooses a different friend? It opens up a lot of room for accusations of preferential treatment and parent drama.
cassiesue 08:26 AM 11-02-2016
I do allow this. However, only for children age 4 and up as he has small toys like legos that would be inappropriate for dcks. The parents are aware of this option and tour his room as part of the initial interview process.

In so far as fairness is concerned he is aware that it would hurt someone's feelings if they didn't get a turn therefore if he wants to invite a friend in; then he must allow everyone a turn that is present and over age 4 that day.

This is not something I require of him though. Some days he prefers to play solo. However most days he likes to be social. He also plays outside with the dcks. He does have a bicycle that is off limits to the dcks. However, there are other bicycles, scooters, wagons etc so I do not feel that is being unfair.
Max 08:48 AM 11-02-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
It also opens it up to inspection for violations. Rhet: Is it infant safe? Are all toys in working condition? No chips, peeling paint, loose screws, missing parts, small parts, harboring space aliens, secret loops to spectacular pangaea dimensions blah, blah, blah...
LOL
I'm not worried much about inspections in his room (at least, not more so than I am with the rest of my house!) but another great point to note.

Originally Posted by cassiesue:
I do allow this. However, only for children age 4 and up as he has small toys like legos that would be inappropriate for dcks. The parents are aware of this option and tour his room as part of the initial interview process.

In so far as fairness is concerned he is aware that it would hurt someone's feelings if they didn't get a turn therefore if he wants to invite a friend in; then he must allow everyone a turn that is present and over age 4 that day.
I like the idea of all kids over 4. It seems to me that it then becomes a separate play area for 'big kids' only open on occasion.

Do you have a written policy on this?
cassiesue 12:21 PM 11-02-2016
Max,
Lol, no, but there is a lot missing in my handbook! This forum has been a real eye opener. I am in the process of rewriting my handbook thanks to ideas I have gotten from this forum. I have a legal background and I do have a 4 page contract, but 95% of it is devoted to all issues regarding fees, etc.

I will add a clause to it. I do know here because I do use his room it is up for inspection. It is also included on the floor plan of the daycare that is required for our local fire department. I will add a clause in handbook to reflect this. Thanks for the idea! The 4 and up is basically because he has over 15,000 legos and a bunch are those lego kits where you build a city, etc and have parts that are quite tiny. I do allow prospective parents to tour there and let them know that the 4 & up crowd will be able to play there but only by invitation.
Max 07:17 AM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by cassiesue:
I will add a clause to it. I do know here because I do use his room it is up for inspection. It is also included on the floor plan of the daycare that is required for our local fire department. I will add a clause in handbook to reflect this. Thanks for the idea! The 4 and up is basically because he has over 15,000 legos and a bunch are those lego kits where you build a city, etc and have parts that are quite tiny. I do allow prospective parents to tour there and let them know that the 4 & up crowd will be able to play there but only by invitation.
I thought maybe I was going policy crazy by putting this into my handbook so I'm glad to hear that you think it's a good idea!! I like the idea of having everything in writing since it helps me get to thinking about what I want and expect from different things like this. Plus it helps to put parents on the same page.

My son also has a ridiculous amount of legos with small parts
Tags:providers own child
Reply Up