Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hitter
auntymimi 05:53 AM 12-15-2015
So my 15 mo dcb has started hitting. He's not doing it hard and it's not in retaliation. At first it appeared to be for no reason at all, but after a few days observing, and many interventions, I believe this has become his way of asking for attention or to play. My question for you all is, how do I teach a non verbal child the correct way to ask to play/for attention?
spedmommy4 06:07 AM 12-15-2015
Use very simple cause and effect response. Often, adults and older kids inadvertently give attention to the hitting behavior with big reactions. (Eg: facial expressions, saying ouch, no hit, etc)

Instead, model soft hands and only give attention when the little one is soft. It doesn't happen overnight, but if you are consistent, he will learn that he only soft touches get a response from the other kids.
Heidi 08:08 AM 12-15-2015
It's awesome that you've figured it out.

I generally just remind them "gentle hands" at that age, and then guide them with simple language. Say something like "you want to play....say play, please!"
auntymimi 10:20 AM 12-16-2015
Thanks guys! I was hoping you all would have a magic phrase to expedite this fun phase of his development...I guess I'll just have to keep intervening and redirecting. Every single time. 2o times a day, lol.
Blackcat31 11:38 AM 12-16-2015
Originally Posted by auntymimi:
Thanks guys! I was hoping you all would have a magic phrase to expedite this fun phase of his development...I guess I'll just have to keep intervening and redirecting. Every single time. 2o times a day, lol.
I teach every kid to say "help"

"Help" covers anything they need assistance with.
Including attention.

Both the 18 month olds and the 13 month old I have in care can say help clear enough that everyone understands and whomever can provide the "help" does so.
auntymimi 11:42 AM 12-16-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I teach every kid to say "help"

"Help" covers anything they need assistance with.
Including attention.

Both the 18 month olds and the 13 month old I have in care can say help clear enough that everyone understands and whomever can provide the "help" does so.
Thanks! I think he could manage that. He can say a few words already.
Reply Up