Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Must Be That Time Of Year, I Want To Rearrange My Playroom!!!
Crazy8 10:45 AM 07-09-2012
seems everyone is doing it lately!! I posted last summer when I was painting and putting all new cubbies in my playroom and some of you helped me set it up. Unfortunately I've never been really happy with it. The one thing that was successful was the layout cutting down on the "rough" play/running that I was having a problem with. But there are so many aspects I'm just not happy with.

I had toyed with the idea of getting rid of my dining room furniture and extending the daycare to both rooms but honestly, I am guessing I will only do daycare for a few more years (been doing it 11 years already) and I generally only have 3-5 kids in here, 1 usually an infant. Kids rarely stay past age 3 here so really the one room IS big enough for them - its not like I have 5 school agers here, you know?

This is the room, what do you think I should change?????

In case you can't tell - on the left of the pic is the art/eating area and then behind the cubbies the dramatic play/main toy area. On the right of the pic is the changing table, infant area, then the cubbies divide it from the reading chair/bookcase and then up top divided from the dramatic play area is the block/train table area.

I like having all these separate areas and want to keep them - I just think I want to rearrange where they are in the room - especially would like the infant area to be bigger - I have foam mats in there now (they weren't down yet in the pic) and I'm stepping on it to change diapers. I want it to be where I'm not stepping on it!

Any thoughts/ideas on how to change it up???
Truly Scrumptious 10:58 AM 07-09-2012
I change my room every month. I have a themed curriculum, so I set it up according to what the theme is. I get bored easily.
Heidi 11:03 AM 07-09-2012
Pretty room!! I love the color you chose...not typical dc colors, which I love.

It seems like in the pics you are missing something...maybe stuff you added later, but I don't see any pictures up. You can buy that tacky stuff at the school supply store so your beautiful walls don't get messed up..maybe some picture of children of different races and abilities, and some wildlife pictures, and a picture of each of your dc kids, with you in the middle.."a circle of friends" or something like that.

Do you have a mirror for dress up? I didn't see that.

And your beautiful floors! You said you have some mats down for the infant space. How about a couple rugs in the areas to define the spaces a little? They don't have to be "kid" rugs. Just something to add a little warmth to the space. It would be neat if you could find some in your color scheme, with leaves or some other natural-ish prints. Maybe you could do a valance over the windows, too, in those same tones, but again, not necessarily "kid" fabric.

As far as the arrangement goes, I like that you have it seperated a bit. Do you have it in "centers?" like block corner, reading center, housekeeping center, fine motor, etc.

I have one other idea for you...around your housekeeping area, how about making a simple structure of birch (the white looks cool) branches, then wrapping white christmas lights and white or pale green tulle around it? It would look so cool...and kind of go with your natural looking them...

That's just a few ideas I had...

What are the dimensions of the room?
GotKids 11:07 AM 07-09-2012
I think it is a very nice room. I think what I would change is adding something fun to the walls, posters, decals something that says we have fun here!
DCMom 11:33 AM 07-09-2012
Love the color!

It's very crisp and calming...I need a new color scheme and I would like to stay away from the 'traditional' primary brights. I have muted blues, greens and reds with butter yellow walls right now, but I am so tired of that.

All these pics lately are giving me the urge to redecorate!
Crazy8 12:21 PM 07-09-2012
oh yes, there are things on the walls now. These pics are from the week I was arranging and didn't want to add things to the walls so soon after painting. Actually, quite a bit has changed when I look at this but the basic layout is the same. I have a big magnetic chalkboard on one wall, a dry erase schedule board for our daily schedule, a toy w/a mirror in the baby area. Little signs that say "reading center" "block center" etc. I had found a bunch of those classroom type things this time last year in Target when I was doing the room.

I'll have to take a newer picture but basically I want to try to come up with a new layout for all these little "areas". I think I would love the infant area to be where the kitchen/workbench are but I don't know how to arrange everything else!!
Heidi 12:27 PM 07-09-2012
I was thinking the infant area might be nice over by the window. Then, your housekeeping area could be on the closer end near the art area.

How do you define your infant area? Is it just sort of everyone knows, or is it hard to keep seperate? Maybe you could create a border with some large foam blocks covered in fabric? You could velcro them down onto the mats, if you have enough mats to give up the edges for that...or buy another set, if it's in your budget.
countrymom 12:35 PM 07-09-2012
your wall color looks like the same wall color that is in my family room. I love green. I see the back of a book case, can you put it against the wall or put something infront of it.

how about laying a rug ontop of the foam mats. Do you need the change table or can you change them on the floor. If you have a chance you post a picture of it all around. I love the dark furniture.
countrymom 12:36 PM 07-09-2012
oh you need curtains or a valance to break it up
Crazy8 05:56 PM 07-09-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
your wall color looks like the same wall color that is in my family room. I love green. I see the back of a book case, can you put it against the wall or put something infront of it.

how about laying a rug ontop of the foam mats. Do you need the change table or can you change them on the floor. If you have a chance you post a picture of it all around. I love the dark furniture.
the bookcases were mostly before I put the backs on them. I purposely arranged them coming out into the room because before everything was flat against walls and I hated the big open space in the middle because kids ran around like wild. I do have the backs on them now and have kid friendly posters and stuff on them so they aren't so boring looking anymore, LOL!

I did order a 4x6 rug for part of the room, not for over the foam mats though. I like the mats - they are brown and green and go with the room. And yes, I do need the changing table - no way my back could handle changing kids on the floor - I tried it for about a month and hated it!!! I'd rather give up a corner of space in order to save my back a bit, LOL!
Crazy8 05:59 PM 07-09-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I was thinking the infant area might be nice over by the window. Then, your housekeeping area could be on the closer end near the art area.

How do you define your infant area? Is it just sort of everyone knows, or is it hard to keep seperate? Maybe you could create a border with some large foam blocks covered in fabric? You could velcro them down onto the mats, if you have enough mats to give up the edges for that...or buy another set, if it's in your budget.
I haven't decided how to separate the infant area, would love more ideas on that!! I think it won't be fully separated, more like just a place to put them down to play in their own little spot. Since my kids usually only go up to about 3 years old nothing in the room is really "unsafe" for babies. I just want to give them a little dedicated space. I'm thinking the one set of cubbies for baby toys and that little house thingy will be 2 things to kind of separate the area. I thought of using a gate but I don't want it THAT separate if you know what I mean.
Crazy8 06:01 PM 07-09-2012
Originally Posted by DCMom:
Love the color!

It's very crisp and calming...I need a new color scheme and I would like to stay away from the 'traditional' primary brights. I have muted blues, greens and reds with butter yellow walls right now, but I am so tired of that.

All these pics lately are giving me the urge to redecorate!
I had a bright yellow daycare area in my old house and after about 6 months I hated it. When I did this I wanted something that didn't scream primary color daycare - its actually the first room you see when you walk in my house so I wanted it to at least sort of blend in.
texascare 06:06 AM 07-10-2012
I get bored easily and want to change things up but my room is not that big. I get so many good ideas here i always go into rearranging mode when I see things like this!!!

I like your room!!!
Heidi 02:49 PM 07-10-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I haven't decided how to separate the infant area, would love more ideas on that!! I think it won't be fully separated, more like just a place to put them down to play in their own little spot. Since my kids usually only go up to about 3 years old nothing in the room is really "unsafe" for babies. I just want to give them a little dedicated space. I'm thinking the one set of cubbies for baby toys and that little house thingy will be 2 things to kind of separate the area. I thought of using a gate but I don't want it THAT separate if you know what I mean.
How about these? They were on another thread:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90116275/

Sorry...I can't cut and paste them in.

You could use them to define the infant space, and store infant toys at the same time (using them horizontally, make a simple back out out of peg board). Easy to see over, and you could even make a quilted or foam fabric top and use really heavy velcro to fasten it. When the baby is old enough to crawl over, they are probably ready for the "big kid" section. If you have no infants, you can stack them or open up a walkway and change it to a cuddle corner.
Crazy8 03:43 PM 07-10-2012
thanks for all the input so far. I tried moving a few things around today and it seems the biggest problem is the area where the dramatic play/toys are now (top left corner of pic) is the biggest area and that "center" is where I need the most space as that is the "main" play area for all the kids. That wall is not big enough to break into 2 areas and then have the table/art cabinet. If I put the infant area there in the corner I don't need all that space but then its not big enough to add another of the areas I need. Does that make sense???
Heidi 04:22 PM 07-10-2012
thanks for all the input so far. I tried moving a few things around today and it seems the biggest problem is the area where the dramatic play/toys are now (top left corner of pic) is the biggest area and that "center" is where I need the most space as that is the "main" play area for all the kids. That wall is not big enough to break into 2 areas and then have the table/art cabinet. If I put the infant area there in the corner I don't need all that space but then its not big enough to add another of the areas I need. Does that make sense???
what are the room dimensions? Do you cook in the room, or just serve meals?
Crazy8 06:31 PM 07-10-2012
what are the room dimensions? Do you cook in the room, or just serve meals?
room is long/narrow, about 17' x 13'. Kids eat at little table in there but their lunches are prepared in the kitchen, just a few steps away. I rearranged and took some pics tonight. I don't like it the new way, I think I'm stuck with how I had it.
Crazy8 06:52 PM 07-10-2012
ok, here is a quick change I made tonight - was just working on placement. I do like the baby area in a corner - can do it with the 9 cube that is there or put a 6 cube one there instead so its low on both sides (those cubes would be facing the baby area, not facing the reading area like in the pic).

I'm ok with the reading area here too - its much more closed in than it was before (again, those cubbies would actually face the other way, just didn't feel like moving things more tonight)...

BUT... I hate the dramatic play area on the other side of the room. Its just not big enough and too open at the same time - I've had it this way in the past and it was just a recipe for a giant mess all the time and too much space for wild play. Behind the kitchen is the changing table - just enough room for me to get in there and change diapers. But I really am not happy with this set up on this side. So I think it has to go back to the corner it was in.

countrymom 05:04 AM 07-11-2012
I would ditch the baby area.
try putting the 2 small units under the window and put your kitchen in that corner, leave it open.
I would move the reading corner near the change table, because you don't have alot of stuff. If you want a baby area, how about getting one of those large baby gate things and put it near the enterance.

or how about putting your change table near the window.
Crazy8 05:19 AM 07-11-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I would ditch the baby area.
try putting the 2 small units under the window and put your kitchen in that corner, leave it open.
I would move the reading corner near the change table, because you don't have alot of stuff. If you want a baby area, how about getting one of those large baby gate things and put it near the enterance.

or how about putting your change table near the window.
I could ditch the "idea" of having a baby area but I still have the stuff I need the space for - that arch house thingy in the pics, the baby rocker chair, the exersaucer, etc. These are all items I need for the younger kids in my care (as I've said my kids only go up to about 3-4 years old tops) so I need some place for that stuff even if I don't section off the baby area.

really can't move the changing table - this is the first room you see when you walk in my house, the changing table is tucked in the furthest corner. If it was by the window it would literally be the first thing you saw when you walked in my house... NOT the image I want.
Heidi 05:33 AM 07-11-2012
ok, here is a quick change I made tonight - was just working on placement. I do like the baby area in a corner - can do it with the 9 cube that is there or put a 6 cube one there instead so its low on both sides (those cubes would be facing the baby area, not facing the reading area like in the pic).

I'm ok with the reading area here too - its much more closed in than it was before (again, those cubbies would actually face the other way, just didn't feel like moving things more tonight)...

BUT... I hate the dramatic play area on the other side of the room. Its just not big enough and too open at the same time - I've had it this way in the past and it was just a recipe for a giant mess all the time and too much space for wild play. Behind the kitchen is the changing table - just enough room for me to get in there and change diapers. But I really am not happy with this set up on this side. So I think it has to go back to the corner it was in.
hmmm...let me ponder a little. Do you have a small table and chairs laying around anywhere? If you put that new rug down in dramatic play, then anchored it with a table and chairs (or better, yet, stools) for 2, you'd add to the appeal, and take up a little free space...slowing down the running.

You could also enclose the area with my previous idea (the birch poles surrounded by tulle and lights), or something similar. I know budgets are always tight, but if you can afford it, how about one of those dress up units with the mirror on one end?

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...&Brand=&Price=

It could be another "wall" of your "house"...

Do parents ever come in the space, or do you hand the kids out or over the gate?

I notice that you have lots of lovely books, but no where for YOU to sit. Do you just sit on the floor or kid furniture?
Crazy8 06:13 AM 07-11-2012
thanks Heidi for the input (don't want to quote and make it too long, LOL!).

I thought of getting a table and chair for the dramatic play area when it was in the original spot (photo in 1st post) but where it is now on the other side its coming out into the middle of the room - so a table and chairs in there would really disrupt the space to walk. That is why I say its too open - from the path from the gate its just not defined enough. I know its hard to explain if you aren't walking it. Parents don't really come in the space - drop off is in my entry so that is not an issue.

So far this morning the kids have DESTROYED the room. The kitchen doesn't stay put - a little push and its against the changing table, toys are EVERYWHERE in the middle - the way it was back before I painted and put all this furniture in there. I guess that's my best indicator of what works - how the kids view/play given the space, right?? Maybe I need to just let go of what I would like to see and go based on them!
Lianne 06:32 AM 07-11-2012
Do you have to have the kitchen and the tool bench out at the same time? I prefer not to and then I switch it up every month. The kids are then excited to have somethi ng 'new' to play with. I'd put the kitchen on the wall where the 6 cube shelf is and, depending on what's needed in the cubes, move the 6 cube one to the other side of the baby area and then move the 9 cube shelf to the space where the kitchen currently is. I'd personally remove the tool bench but if you can, leave it where it is.
Heidi 07:42 AM 07-11-2012
thanks Heidi for the input (don't want to quote and make it too long, LOL!).

I thought of getting a table and chair for the dramatic play area when it was in the original spot (photo in 1st post) but where it is now on the other side its coming out into the middle of the room - so a table and chairs in there would really disrupt the space to walk. That is why I say its too open - from the path from the gate its just not defined enough. I know its hard to explain if you aren't walking it. Parents don't really come in the space - drop off is in my entry so that is not an issue.

So far this morning the kids have DESTROYED the room. The kitchen doesn't stay put - a little push and its against the changing table, toys are EVERYWHERE in the middle - the way it was back before I painted and put all this furniture in there. I guess that's my best indicator of what works - how the kids view/play given the space, right?? Maybe I need to just let go of what I would like to see and go based on them!

Yep..you gotta go with what works!

If it were me, I'd divide the room up in quarters of 5'-6'x 8.5' or so (with a walkway down the middle), and use each as a different "center". Dramatic play, blocks and manipulatives, eating/art/science, and quiet play/reading/literature.

I'd ditch that big plastic baby toy thingie, too (probably use it outside). I hate big plastic anything, though, in the house. yuck....sorry.

I know what you mean about those kitchens. They move... Would putting down the rug you have help with that?

I don't know just how much you'd like to invest in your business in the future-or how many years you intend to do this. If you're in it for a long haul, I'd start investing in some high-quality items such as a wooden kitchen (and use the current one outside), an acrylic mirror and place to display dress-up clothes, and wood table and stools.

I wish I had that amount of space! My primary dc room is 8x10. It's hard to be creative with that. I have so many ideas that I can't put into practice...
Crazy8 07:59 AM 07-11-2012
Yep..you gotta go with what works!

If it were me, I'd divide the room up in quarters of 5'-6'x 8.5' or so (with a walkway down the middle), and use each as a different "center". Dramatic play, blocks and manipulatives, eating/art/science, and quiet play/reading/literature.

I'd ditch that big plastic baby toy thingie, too (probably use it outside). I hate big plastic anything, though, in the house. yuck....sorry.

I know what you mean about those kitchens. They move... Would putting down the rug you have help with that?

I don't know just how much you'd like to invest in your business in the future-or how many years you intend to do this. If you're in it for a long haul, I'd start investing in some high-quality items such as a wooden kitchen (and use the current one outside), an acrylic mirror and place to display dress-up clothes, and wood table and stools.

I wish I had that amount of space! My primary dc room is 8x10. It's hard to be creative with that. I have so many ideas that I can't put into practice...
The kids love that big stupid thing, but I should get rid of it, its such a space gobbler! Its funny to look at pics and see the stuff that has come and gone from my daycare. I have been doing this 11 years so far - my own youngest goes to 1st grade in the Fall so I'm really not sure how much longer I will keep doing this so not going to invest in anything huge, but I don't mind spending a little here or there, you know?

The room was sort of quartered before - upper left dramatic play/toys, upper right was blocks/trains/cars, lower left was art/table/puzzles, lower right was the only one divided into reading and baby play stuff. The problem is I NEED the baby stuff and of course its always big stuff - I always have at least one under a year old, sometimes have as many as 3 under 2 years old!!! I don't have the older preschool kids here - they almost ALWAYS go off to preschool at age 3 so I have to be careful with things of many pieces many of my age group tend to be "dumpers" - therefore I keep puzzles and many manipulatives up in little unit by the table.

The room is driving us all crazy today - its definitely not working for me or the kids!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to switch it back tonight, still hoping maybe I can find a slight change that will make it a little better.
Crazy8 08:03 AM 07-11-2012
Originally Posted by Lianne:
Do you have to have the kitchen and the tool bench out at the same time? I prefer not to and then I switch it up every month. The kids are then excited to have somethi ng 'new' to play with. I'd put the kitchen on the wall where the 6 cube shelf is and, depending on what's needed in the cubes, move the 6 cube one to the other side of the baby area and then move the 9 cube shelf to the space where the kitchen currently is. I'd personally remove the tool bench but if you can, leave it where it is.
I almost took the tool bench out last night and had the exact same thought, just rotating that with the kitchen - but then I had the space for it so left it. Its kind of like, yes, I can take it out but then the "free space" is still in that area which I don't need, I need the free space somewhere else, LOL!

Even the kitchen, they don't always really play WITH it, they just take the food toys and everything OUT of it to play with on the floor half the time. But once in a while some do actually play on the toy as designed, LOL!!!!
Heidi 08:13 AM 07-11-2012
so...you're basically running a birth-to-3 program, and do not do preschoolers, for the most part?

have you looked at any of the early childhood catalogs? Community Playthings has floor plans right on their website for various age groups, and so do a few others. Maybe you could borrow some ideas from them...
countrymom 08:59 AM 07-11-2012
I don't have any baby stuff and I run also from 6 months to now age 4 (they are all going to school here at age 4-its a canadian thing) I found that baby toys are all big and bulky, I had a exerasaucer once and I had a 4 yr old climb in it and play that was the end of that. My kids love the tool area, they are constantly fixing something.
nothingwithoutjoy 09:36 AM 07-11-2012
The kids love that big stupid thing, but I should get rid of it, its such a space gobbler!...The problem is I NEED the baby stuff and of course its always big stuff - I always have at least one under a year old, sometimes have as many as 3 under 2 years old!!!
The kids love it because it's there, but if it weren't, and there were other wonderful options, they wouldn't miss it. I'd consider whether you really "need" that stuff. I actually think babies "need" very little. Love, attention, conversation, outdoors, something interesting to explore. I don't use any baby supplies other than teethers. My essentials for babies are board books, things to dump and things to put the dumped stuff back into. Space to move. A mirror to see themselves in. Something to pull up on (i.e. the coffee table or couch). Extras: balls, instruments, dolls. Maybe you could try putting the questionable stuff in the basement/garage/attic for a few weeks to test what happens.

An example from my home: I once had two toddlers stringing large wooden beads onto knotted strings, which they then taped to the edge of the coffee table, under which my infant daughter lay on a blanket. "Baby gym," but made by kids and removable. Emphasis on relationships, rather than on stuff.
Indianadaycare 09:06 PM 04-11-2014
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
The kids love it because it's there, but if it weren't, and there were other wonderful options, they wouldn't miss it. I'd consider whether you really "need" that stuff. I actually think babies "need" very little. Love, attention, conversation, outdoors, something interesting to explore. I don't use any baby supplies other than teethers. My essentials for babies are board books, things to dump and things to put the dumped stuff back into. Space to move. A mirror to see themselves in. Something to pull up on (i.e. the coffee table or couch). Extras: balls, instruments, dolls. Maybe you could try putting the questionable stuff in the basement/garage/attic for a few weeks to test what happens.

An example from my home: I once had two toddlers stringing large wooden beads onto knotted strings, which they then taped to the edge of the coffee table, under which my infant daughter lay on a blanket. "Baby gym," but made by kids and removable. Emphasis on relationships, rather than on stuff.
Agreed! Well said!
Reply Up