Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Finally Have an Interview
Trish 01:49 PM 11-01-2012
So I finally have an interview that sounds promising, in a little over an hour!! Originally the family wanted to come Sunday but postponed because of Sandy. I've spent the whole day cleaning and making sure everything is in order. Any lady minute words if wisdom? Although I don't want to get my hopes up, I have a good gut feeling, unlike with the 2 other interviews. My only concern is that as my first real enrollment (I occasionally have a few friends kids - but that's usually in the summer) and that they won't want their daughter to be the only dck. I know the Mom had looked around a bit, but hasn't found anything she liked and she is starting a new job ASAP, so maybe the two cancel each other out lol. But I do plan on promoting my referral bonus when we go over things, to maybe help if dcg being the only child is a concern...
nanglgrl 01:51 PM 11-01-2012
Good luck, make sure you go over all of your policies!
Trish 01:53 PM 11-01-2012
Will do! I printed them all last night and had a 'practice' interview with a friend - I got grilled haha
daycare 01:56 PM 11-01-2012
Originally Posted by Trish:
Will do! I printed them all last night and had a 'practice' interview with a friend - I got grilled haha
my word of advice......stick to your prices and hours of operation.

don't offer special.....like if they want you to open earlier or stay open later

don't offer discounts
don't make promises that will make you miserable or you won't be happy with long term.

Ask them how they discipline their child at home and don't be confident!!!

Best of luck to you...............let us know how it goes
Blackcat31 02:11 PM 11-01-2012
Congratulations! Hope it goes well!

Remember that if they ask for anything outside your normal services and you aren't sure if you are willing to do it or not, don't be shy about saying, "Let me think about it and get back to you".

It's ok to not answer right away.

Keep us posted about how it goes!
daycare 02:13 PM 11-01-2012
lol hahaahhh I meant to say be confident!!!!!!
Trish 02:21 PM 11-01-2012
Ahahaha @daycare, I kinda thought that's what you meant LOL!

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys! I'm just keeping the word 'backbone' floating around in my mind

I will keep all of you posted!
nanglgrl 02:30 PM 11-01-2012
This got me thinking I should post a picture of a backbone on the back of my door so I never forget to use mine when I answer the door.

Let us know how it goes!
Trish 03:22 PM 11-01-2012
So it was a pretty quick interview. She loved the space, loved the program, but was (like I feared) a little apprehensive about her daughter being the only dck and also my age (I'm 24 but have been working with kids since I was 10 at equestrian camps and as a riding instructor). But the good (I guess good points lol) is it seems like its only myself and one other provider and its going to come down to which is an easier commute. So I guess all in all it went well! Haha. One cool thing is they're also a 'horsey' family
daycare 03:26 PM 11-01-2012
Originally Posted by Trish:
So it was a pretty quick interview. She loved the space, loved the program, but was (like I feared) a little apprehensive about her daughter being the only dck and also my age (I'm 24 but have been working with kids since I was 10 at equestrian camps and as a riding instructor). But the good (I guess good points lol) is it seems like its only myself and one other provider and its going to come down to which is an easier commute. So I guess all in all it went well! Haha. One cool thing is they're also a 'horsey' family
wow great job...... keep your head up....by any chance did you get her email address???
biglou 04:16 PM 11-01-2012
Hope it works out for you, but if it does not and you need to start working on the first DCK again, remember the following: turn any potential negatives to a positive. Try to think of the negatives a typical potential client will throw at you and try to have a prepared comeback reply with a positive spin to it.

For example,

" I love your place and your program is exactly what I have been looking for, but I am concerned my sweet little Jimmy does not have any one here to play with"

And you say...
Come up with some positive responses to address this and any other concern a typical parent would throw at you and you will be well on your way to filling your open seats!

God luck,

Big Lou
MarinaVanessa 05:18 PM 11-01-2012
The first client is always the hardest one to get. Next time someone hesitates because their kid will be the only kid make sure you point out that it means that their child will get ALL OF THE ATTENTION!! Make this a selling perk.

If this still doesn't work try borrowing someones kids a few times a week for free. I did this when I couldn't get a first client when I first opened. I borrowed my family and friends kids (mostly stay at home moms) a couple of days out of the week to "practice" what it would be like to have daycare kids. I wanted to test out my shchedule and routine and I ended up really being able to fine tune it before I had "real clients".

I wasn't lying to my interviews when they asked me how many kids I had enrolled since I had everyone sign the proper paperwork that licencing required ... it just happened that my "clients" were only temporary and either didn't pay anything or paid very very little. You can also ask those people whos kids you "borrow" to then write you a reference letter based on how well they and their kid like your program. Who knows, maybe it'll help you too.
daycare 05:20 PM 11-01-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
The first client is always the hardest one to get. Next time someone hesitates because their kid will be the only kid make sure you point out that it means that their child will get ALL OF THE ATTENTION!! Make this a selling perk.

If this still doesn't work try borrowing someones kids a few times a week for free. I did this when I couldn't get a first client when I first opened. I borrowed my family and friends kids (mostly stay at home moms) a couple of days out of the week for "practice" what it would be like to have daycare kids. I wan't to test out my shcedule and routine and I ended up really being able to fine tune it before I had "real clients".

I wasn't lying to my interviews when they asked me how many kids I had enrolled since I had everyone sign the proper paperwork that licencing required ... it just happened that my "clients" were only temporary and either didn't pay anything or paid very very little. You can also ask those people whos kids you "borrow" to then write you a reference letter based on how well they and their kid like your program. Who knows, maybe it'll help you too.
simply genius!!!!!!
EchoMom 07:28 PM 11-01-2012
Agreed, getting the first one or 2 kids is BRUTAL because no one wants their kid to be alone, and no one wants to be the guinea pig. Seriously seriously, you really do just have to borrow kids so that you can have some "fictitious" children in your daycare. Honestly, once the first one or 2 get signed up it's EASY from their on out.
Reply Up