Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Train Tables
mamac 05:12 AM 01-17-2013
Do any of you have your train tracks glued together? I debating on whether or not to do this for my DC. My experience with my own kids is that they love playing with their trains after I put it together, right up until the moment that they take it apart. Then it just sits there. One is 2 1/2 the other is 5.

I know I'd be taking away a good "learning" part of the train set, but at least it would get used......

Your thoughts?
CedarCreek 05:52 AM 01-17-2013
Ooh! I have a good solution for this! My husband made me removable wall mounted train tables! The tracks are held there by industrial strength Velcro. I'll try to post a pic..once I figure out how
CedarCreek 06:06 AM 01-17-2013

Hopefully you can see it!

Edit:Well, that didn't work..
countrymom 06:06 AM 01-17-2013
I had the same problem, so what I did was I bought a plastic train sheet (it was a thomas the train) so I put it down so I can wipe the crumbs up. I set up a track and got dh to screw them down. YOU MUST PREDRILL THE HOLES then screw them down to the track. At first the kids didn't get that they don't come off so I had to watch for a bit and now they leave the track alone. I love it. They use it all the time, heck even my own kids use it. I do want to stain the track, I just haven't gotten around to it.
countrymom 06:07 AM 01-17-2013
I did glue it, but they ripped it off and the velco didn't lay flat for me and they found out how to rip it off too.
CedarCreek 06:18 AM 01-17-2013

CedarCreek 06:19 AM 01-17-2013
Yeah, figured it out!
Blackcat31 06:25 AM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
Ooh! I have a good solution for this! My husband made me removable wall mounted train tables! The tracks are held there by industrial strength Velcro. I'll try to post a pic..once I figure out how

I guess I am confused.......So you have to take it down each time they play with it?

I have a train table as well as a few vinyl mats with preprinted town scenes on them and the kids play on either the table or the mat.

I haven't really had anyone have trouble with the tracks. My bigs help the littles if they ask. Otherwise, they do it themselves. I don't allow the really little ones to play with it though.
countrymom 06:29 AM 01-17-2013

I hope this works but its my table.
countrymom 06:30 AM 01-17-2013

CedarCreek 06:30 AM 01-17-2013
Yes, I take it down every time they want to play with it. The little pieces of wood at the top swivel so I turn those and it lifts up and out. "Table" I suppose is the wrong term. Its more like a wood base. The tracks stay on and when they are done, I just pick it up and put it back on the wall. Easy peasy.
countrymom 06:31 AM 01-17-2013
sorry its so big, I need to make it smaller but I need to figure it out. But you can see how its screwed down.
Blackcat31 06:31 AM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
Yes, I take it down every time they want to play with it. The little pieces of wood at the top swivel so I turn those and it lifts up and out. "Table" I suppose is the wrong term. Its more like a wood base. The tracks stay on and when they are done, I just pick it up and put it back on the wall. Easy peasy.
gottcha.... wasn't sure. I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning
countrymom 06:34 AM 01-17-2013
underneath mine has a drawer that pulls out and it has extra tracks and such, so the kids can make their own tracks if they want.
Lianne 06:39 AM 01-17-2013
I have this http://www.step2.com/p/Deluxe-Canyon...in-Track-Table and I love it. I also have a train table you're supposed to use the wooden tracks on but we never use it for that. We use our train table for Little People, Duplo, blocks and to hold our sensory bin. The wooden train tracks get built across the floor where there is lots of room to spread out.
CedarCreek 06:46 AM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by Lianne:
I have this http://www.step2.com/p/Deluxe-Canyon...in-Track-Table and I love it. I also have a train table you're supposed to use the wooden tracks on but we never use it for that. We use our train table for Little People, Duplo, blocks and to hold our sensory bin. The wooden train tracks get built across the floor where there is lots of room to spread out.
^^That's a really cool table!
nanglgrl 11:43 AM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
underneath mine has a drawer that pulls out and it has extra tracks and such, so the kids can make their own tracks if they want.
I like it countrymom and I may just have to do this. My kids never play with the trains because it's so confusing to put the train track together.
countrymom 12:11 PM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
I like it countrymom and I may just have to do this. My kids never play with the trains because it's so confusing to put the train track together.
thats what was happening here and I found that the table wasn't really being used, but now its used all the time. I think its used because its already built and ready to go.
LK5kids 12:32 PM 01-17-2013
Sorry to highjack, butI just or a nice train table at the local thrft store for $5.00. So happy!. I know younger kids won't/ can't get those tracks together. I think screwing them down is a good idea. At least it's not permanent.
e.j. 03:52 PM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I did glue it, but they ripped it off and the velco didn't lay flat for me and they found out how to rip it off too.
I spent an entire weekend getting my train set up "just so" and then hot gluing the tracks to my train table. My neice and nephew came over that Sunday night and had the tracks all ripped up within 15 minutes.

For whatever reason, my husband didn't want me to screw them on. I wish I had had your picture to show him how well it would have worked. It looks great!
mamac 04:51 PM 01-17-2013
Thanks for all the responses. I think I'm going to end up screwing mine to the table. I do have drawers underneath with extra track if they ever wanted to design their own on the floor. I also have the Step 2 table that Lianne posted a link to. That one is in the basement playroom. We use that one with the matchbox cars because the "tracks" are smooth. I'd love to do a wall mount on top of the wooden train table so I could still use it for other things but I don't have any place to hang it.

I'm still trying to figure out how to set up my play rooms but I'll save that question for another day.
Tags:table, train set, train table
Reply Up