Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thoughts Please
williams2008 08:10 AM 07-23-2013
What are you'll thoughts on MGT Curriculum? I'm searching for something for my age group of 24 months- 36 months.
Crystal 08:12 AM 07-23-2013
You will likely hear a lot of positive stuff about it, but I cannot stand it. It is to craft oriented and teacher directed for my liking. Much of the craft stuff you will end up completing yourself, meaning the children learn absolutely nothing through process.

Waste of money, IMO.
williams2008 08:14 AM 07-23-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
You will likely hear a lot of positive stuff about it, but I cannot stand it. It is to craft oriented and teacher directed for my liking. Much of the craft stuff you will end up completing yourself, meaning the children learn absolutely nothing through process.

Waste of money, IMO.
Thank you!

I would like to find a curriculum where the crafts can be done by the kids with minimal help.
Crystal 08:18 AM 07-23-2013
I do my own. The supplies are accessible to the children at all times, except when I offer new stuff. Writing, drawing, painting, cutting plain paper, collage supplies, clay, etc. are all accessible to them at all times. I am simply there to facilitate, ask open ended questions that encourage their critical thinking and offering new materials as they show emerging skills and interests.

It is ALL about the process with no end product in mind. Although we end up with LOTS of beautiful artwork/end products that I frame and hang and sculptures that will last forever.
JoseyJo 08:36 AM 07-23-2013
I do my own. The supplies are accessible to the children at all times, except when I offer new stuff. Writing, drawing, painting, cutting plain paper, collage supplies, clay, etc. are all accessible to them at all times. I am simply there to facilitate, ask open ended questions that encourage their critical thinking and offering new materials as they show emerging skills and interests.

It is ALL about the process with no end product in mind. Although we end up with LOTS of beautiful artwork/end products that I frame and hang and sculptures that will last forever.
We do preschool also but I have yet to find a curriculum that I like! I spend 2-4 hours each weekend setting up activities for the following week that include teachable moments and is process oriented!
LaLa1923 08:43 AM 07-23-2013
Originally Posted by williams2008:
Thank you!

I would like to find a curriculum where the crafts can be done by the kids with minimal help.

I'd check out carol's curriculum, it's much cheaper!!
butterfly 09:38 AM 07-23-2013

Waste of money, IMO.
Last year, I did MGT without the crafts. My kids were all ages 1 and 2 and I knew that I wouldn't be able to get them to do the crafts without me completing everything - not going to happen.

But I love MGT. I've said it before, but I have bought just one year of it and then laminated it all to reuse over and over again. I have used it twice now (It's on about a 3 year rotation here - so the kids aren't doing the exact same thing every year). I have a box for each month/theme and add to it as I find a deal too good to pass up. There are alot of other aspects of MGT that I like, like the expandable themes which include music, sign language, 3 letters a month, 2 numbers a month, 1 shape, 2 colors, patterns, textures, calendar, character qualities, sight words, they send a couple nice books with it. They also have extra add on things like writing and math, where you can order a separate workbook for - I haven't ever tried these though.

For the way I use the curriculum, it was really worth the money - to be able to reuse it year after year.

Also the convenience of having a teacher guide, so if I didn't feel like prepping I could open the book as I'm sitting down with the kids and still be able to have a great "class time" - with zero prep/planning.

The calendar, posters and materials that it comes with look professional and are very similar to some things you may see in the public school or preschools.

I like it.
My3cents 09:42 AM 07-23-2013
Originally Posted by williams2008:
What are you'll thoughts on MGT Curriculum? I'm searching for something for my age group of 24 months- 36 months.
I am going to give MGT a try. I was doing my own and it takes so much time to plan. I want to make things a little easier on myself. If I don't like it I will just go back to doing my own. I love the planning part, but I need to simplify a bit for my family time. I will still plan and add my own flare to the program but not as much.

I respect Crystals way of doing things and I think it is great the way she does her program. I on the other hand try to find a balance between helping the child and letting them do it all. I have read a lot and from what I understand it is how you approach MGT and present the materials to the kids. If you do it all for them, well then you will have cookie cutter projects. At the same time these kids are learning and guidance is wonderful rather then just saying have at it, best of luck. I wish the cost was not so high for the program, but if I break it down, I would buy prob just as much if not more in materials to work with and copies etc.... ink is killing me. The MGT comes in color copies.

My opinion is coming from someone that has not done the program is going to give it a try and has researched it out. I don't plan to do it forever and am going to try to keep the program so I can reuse and adapt future years from it.

I hope you give it a try it would be nice to have someone to chat with about it.
butterfly 09:48 AM 07-23-2013
I also wanted to mention that MGT is on a 3 year rotation, so if you buy the materials this year - 3 years from now, they will be the same theme again. This is what the sales lady told me there. I was ready to purchase another years worth, but unfortanetly it was the year of material that I had already purchased... (so I am making my own again...)
My3cents 11:32 AM 07-23-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
I also wanted to mention that MGT is on a 3 year rotation, so if you buy the materials this year - 3 years from now, they will be the same theme again. This is what the sales lady told me there. I was ready to purchase another years worth, but unfortanetly it was the year of material that I had already purchased... (so I am making my own again...)
I think you could have ordered another rotation year?
williams2008 01:09 PM 07-23-2013
Thank you'll for your responses!

I found this link while browsing online that I think I'm going to try: http://www.letteroftheweek.com/
daycarediva 03:02 PM 07-23-2013
I use MGT and I like it. I have tried others and was disappointed.

I don't do the projects for the kids. It's open ended, I put the art materials on the table and let them have at it. When they were supposed to be making tiger masks/stripes, I ended up with raccoon, cats of several colors, a lion (who glued tissue paper on top for a mane) that sort of thing.

I'm too busy to take the time to do a curriculum, and MGT allows parent to feel like the kid is in 'real preschool with a curriculum' and I feel like I still get to lead a more play based, child led program (that is very unpopular here atm) and, my kids LOVE IT.
Sugar Magnolia 05:49 PM 07-23-2013
My husband makes hand drawn "coloring pages" for the kids every.week. He talks to them about stuff, if they get excited about rockets, he draws a rocket. If a girl wants a princess, boom, he draws a princess. The kids LOVE IT. Parents totally dig it. I no longer shop for.themed crafts, I have him invent something.

He also does special request musical performances. "Mr. Magnolia, can you play "Wheels on the Bus?" Out comes the violin......

Yeah, he rocks.
LK5kids 05:01 AM 07-24-2013
I think I am going with Preschool Palace that was suggested by MarinaVanessa!
$10.00 for the year and everything mapped out so well. It really caught my eye and you can't beat the price!
williams2008 07:23 AM 07-24-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
My husband makes hand drawn "coloring pages" for the kids every.week. He talks to them about stuff, if they get excited about rockets, he draws a rocket. If a girl wants a princess, boom, he draws a princess. The kids LOVE IT. Parents totally dig it. I no longer shop for.themed crafts, I have him invent something.

He also does special request musical performances. "Mr. Magnolia, can you play "Wheels on the Bus?" Out comes the violin......

Yeah, he rocks.

williams2008 07:24 AM 07-24-2013
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
I think I am going with Preschool Palace that was suggested by MarinaVanessa!
$10.00 for the year and everything mapped out so well. It really caught my eye and you can't beat the price!
Thank you! I'm going to look at Preschool Palace!
daycare 07:31 AM 07-24-2013
I buy past months at discount from the learning box. for six 6 it only cost me $30 for a month and that was with the shipping.....

I use a variety of things. I like making my own and then sometimes I just can't get motivated to make something or search online, so I pull out a box.......I love that I can do that. OF course I save the teachers manual and sometimes if a project was way cool, I copy the stuff on my copier and then file it away for later use...

I have used MGT....most of my kids could NOT do those projects. I had to end up doing them all.......
Reply Up