Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Late Pick Up Fee/Wording
Maggs4 10:23 AM 12-08-2018
Hi, this is my first post. I have learned so much from reading thru this forum and I thank you for that.
I do have a question though, I am trying to word my late pick up fee in my hand book of policies and I really want it to be short and concise to the point of don't be late, I don't like it, I won't tolerate it.
I have seen the dollar per minute but honestly I feel like that makes me nit pick for my fee when I really just want to be able to say okay you were late you owe me XX but I get lost I the minute increment break downs, I was thinking maybe 1-15minutes late is like $10-20
im not sure, im a new provider and have 1 client but im just trying to set the precedent w new clients before its even an issue. any feed back would be helpful, thanks
Jupadia 12:33 PM 12-08-2018
My policy states that late fees start at 6:01 per minute. Rhe last thing i want to do is track down a parent. I have added into my contract that with providers permission that if parent contacts before 5:45 that I will do a $10 fee for 1/2 hour slot. This way if parents do get stuck in traffic they can call, but I've put the close in about providers permission so i dont have a parent abuse it and try it each day.
Michael 12:41 PM 12-08-2018
Here are more Late Pick-up Fee Letter threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...+pickup+letter
Meeko 03:38 PM 12-08-2018
I close at 6pm. At 6:01pm, I add $5. Then a $1 per minute after that.

I have a digital clock right on the sign in table and it is in my handbook that the sign in and out time is taken ONLY from that clock (not their watch etc)

It is easy to calculate the late fees. Whatever the time is...I just add $4. So if they pick up at 6:09pm......they owe me $13.

As soon as we close, the regular sign in/out folder is removed and a big red folder replaces it. They have to sign out in that one, which shows time out, fees due etc.
Maggs4 06:14 AM 12-10-2018
thanks for the ideas, I will consider implementing some of these.
Blackcat31 06:46 AM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by Maggs4:
thanks for the ideas, I will consider implementing some of these.
I would say something like:

I have something like this written in my policies in regards to late pick ups.

"While I understand that things can happen that are out of our control, it's imperative that you have reliable back up during those times as late pick ups will not be tolerated.

Late pick-ups in conjunction with communication prior to pick up will incur a late fee of $X per minute, per child. Late pick ups without communication will not be tolerated.

Late pick ups with or without communication are subject to schedule modification and/or immediate termination of services."

Ac114 07:29 AM 12-10-2018
Just make sure whatever late fee you add, it’s worth it to you. I close at 5:30. I had a parent arrive at 6:50pm on Friday. To say I was furious is putting it lightly. I only charge a $10 late fee. Because of this scenario I am changing how I charge late fees.
Maggs4 09:29 AM 12-10-2018
thank you!
Ariana 10:43 AM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
Just make sure whatever late fee you add, it’s worth it to you. I close at 5:30. I had a parent arrive at 6:50pm on Friday. To say I was furious is putting it lightly. I only charge a $10 late fee. Because of this scenario I am changing how I charge late fees.
Did they call to say they were going to be late? If I am closed and they are not reachable I call my emergency contacts and then the police. I usually leave a message saying my intention to call the police next...which usually gets them to answer or call back. Absolutrey ridiculous?
Ac114 10:55 AM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Did they call to say they were going to be late? If I am closed and they are not reachable I call my emergency contacts and then the police. I usually leave a message saying my intention to call the police next...which usually gets them to answer or call back. Absolutrey ridiculous?
She’s a nurse at a dialysis center. Most of her patients are transported by ambulance companies. She sent a message at 3 saying she would be there at 5:45. I was annoyed but at least I had the heads up. At 6pm she said her patient had still not been picked up and she’s sorry. They were finally picked up at 6:30. She’s never been this late but she’s late pretty routinely so I’m looking to fill the spot.
Cat Herder 11:25 AM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
She’s a nurse at a dialysis center. Most of her patients are transported by ambulance companies. She sent a message at 3 saying she would be there at 5:45. I was annoyed but at least I had the heads up. At 6pm she said her patient had still not been picked up and she’s sorry. They were finally picked up at 6:30. She’s never been this late but she’s late pretty routinely so I’m looking to fill the spot.
I have had dialysis, LEO, DFACS, ER, military, EMS, and CT/MRI personnel and all of them had their spouses or family member pick up if they were going to be late. That is the parent's responsibility to plan for especially in one of these fields where they know it is a possibility every single shift. They knew it when they applied for the job, they knew it when they planned to have children and they knew it when they searched for a daycare provider.
LittleExplorers 01:22 PM 12-10-2018
Mine says as much as I enjoy your children, please respect my family time. Late pickups will be subject to $5 a minute fee. Repeated late pick ups are grounds for termination.
amberrose3dg 02:34 PM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I have had dialysis, LEO, DFACS, ER, military, EMS, and CT/MRI personnel and all of them had their spouses or family member pick up if they were going to be late. That is the parent's responsibility to plan for especially in one of these fields where they know it is a possibility every single shift. They knew it when they applied for the job, they knew it when they planned to have children and they knew it when they searched for a daycare provider.
Yeah that would make me real mad. She knew at 3 she was going to be late and should of sent someone else to pick up.
LittleExplorers 06:28 AM 12-11-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would say something like:

"While I understand that things can happen that are out of our control, it's imperative that you have reliable back up during those times as late pick ups will not be tolerated.

Late pick-ups in conjunction with communication prior to pick up will incur a late fee of $X per minute, per child. Late pick ups without communication will not be tolerated.

Late pick ups with or without communication are subject to schedule modification and/or immediate termination of services."
Love the way this is written!
Ac114 07:01 AM 12-11-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Yeah that would make me real mad. She knew at 3 she was going to be late and should of sent someone else to pick up.
Ohhhh I was. I have a Christmas dinner tonight so I sent her a message yesterday letting her know that he needs picked up on time or you need to make other arrangements as I am not going to miss this dinner for him not being picked up on time. I’m currently looking for his replacement.
littlefriends 11:45 AM 12-11-2018
If you truly don’t want it to happen you have to make it hurt by having a hefty fee so I would say something like $30 as a set fee even if it’s just 1 min after you close. I have a few “wonderful” parents who don’t mind my $1 per minute after 6pm close in the slightest and so will regularly arrive 10-15 minutes late because they couldn’t care less about an extra $10 as long as they were able to fit their haircut in after work. My new contract for this year changes my late pick up fee to $30 regardless of what time after 6 they arrive.
Tags:late fee - letter, late fee policy, late letter, late pick up fee, late pickup letter, parent - its a verb, parental life choices, parental responsibility
Reply Up